21 - Frenkie de Jong

Andresito

Staff member
I've never bought a jersey with a name who hasn't been in the first team for 3+ years, but I must admit Frenkie is really tempting.

VN10

I've never bought a jersey with a name who hasn't been in the first team for 3+ years, but I must admit Frenkie is really tempting.

Barca is going to make some money off of his shirt! Such a likeable guy both in and outside of football.

Shame the shirt itself is ugly af, so I'll wait a year.

Andresito

Staff member
Barca is going to make some money off of his shirt! Such a likeable guy both in and outside of football.

Yeah I just remembered we have those atrocious kits, oh well there's always next year.

BarçaBarça

Not really, compared to other targets. Brazilians players for example would make muuuch more publicity. Or Pogba for example, would sell double or triple the shirts.
De Jong is crucial to every fan who regret Barca's current deterioration away from Barca's soul - Cruyff football, though.
And that can't be underestimated or measured in money...

VN10

Not really, compared to other targets. Brazilians players for example would make muuuch more publicity. Or Pogba for example, would sell double or triple the shirts.
De Jong is crucial to every fan who regret Barca's current deterioration away from Barca's soul - Cruyff football, though.
And that can't be underestimated or measured in money...

You think there's many Brazilians, or Asians for that matter, that buy the official 90 euro Barca shirt? No, most of them buy fakes, for which Barca obviously doesn't get any money.

Pogba would sell a lot of shirts, true. Frenkie will sell plenty as well, probably second after Messi, we'll see in next years annual statement.

BarçaBarça

You think there's many Brazilians, or Asians for that matter, that buy the official 90 euro Barca shirt? No, most of them buy fakes, for which Barca obviously doesn't get any money.

Pogba would sell a lot of shirts, true. Frenkie will sell plenty as well, probably second after Messi, we'll see in next years annual statement.

Yes, I actually think so, for South Americans are crazy about football in a whole other way than Europeans. They more of a culture to dress in football-shirts, to my knowledge than the more professionalized culture in Europe. Anyway, I'm just saying that in terms of financial benefit from publicity we could have gone for other targets, but I'm thrilled we didn't.

Can you see it in the annual statement? I didn't know that. But we don't make money of shirt sales, afaik, Nike does - and pays a lot to us for being able to sell our shirts.
Honestly I would expect more Alena + Puig shirts to be sold if they become regular starters, because more cules identify with them in Catalunya.

VN10

Yes, I actually think so, for South Americans are crazy about football in a whole other way than Europeans. They more of a culture to dress in football-shirts, to my knowledge than the more professionalized culture in Europe. Anyway, I'm just saying that in terms of financial benefit from publicity we could have gone for other targets, but I'm thrilled we didn't.

Can you see it in the annual statement? I didn't know that. But we don't make money of shirt sales, afaik, Nike does - and pays a lot to us for being able to sell our shirts.
Honestly I would expect more Alena + Puig shirts to be sold if they become regular starters, because more cules identify with them in Catalunya.

You're wrong about South Americans buying official shirts. There's an insane amount of fakes, that look very good though, on their market. As well as in most Asian countries. Barca nor Nike makes money through fake shirts logically.
Also, the average monthly salary in Brasil is low. Especially compared to the price of a shirt.

Also to give you a better idea: Nike's sales in South America + Asian Pacific is not even worth 20% percent of Nike's Europe + North American sales in 2017-2018. Look it up if you want.

We do make money of shirt sales, and the rest of our Nike+Barca clothing lines. We receive an annual fee for our clothing from Nike and we take a % of the sales profits.

BarçaBarça

You're wrong about South Americans buying official shirts. There's an insane amount of fakes, that look very good though, on their market. As well as in most Asian countries. Barca nor Nike makes money through fake shirts logically.
Also, the average monthly salary in Brasil is low. Especially compared to the price of a shirt.

Also to give you a better idea: Nike's sales in South America + Asian Pacific is not even worth 20% percent of Nike's Europe + North American sales in 2017-2018. Look it up if you want.

We do make money of shirt sales, and the rest of our Nike+Barca clothing lines. We receive an annual fee for our clothing from Nike and we take a % of the sales profits.

Fair enough, I'm not that much into that business, so I believe you. It makes sense that there is a lot of fakes in poor countries.
But can we really see which players shirts sold most world wide in the annual report? What where the top-sellers the last few years, then, do you know that?

VN10

Barça or other clubs are not really making that much money from shirt sales.

Here is a good article about this and some other football myths.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

That's exacly what I said?

Also, a myth? Not much money?

Raking almost 100 million a year and 5-20% add on per shirt sold, plus a bonus fee for certain volume amounts is not much?
Lets say Barca sells 10 million clothing products for an average of 75 euro per product. Thats 750 million turnover, 10% is for Barca (very likely) that's 75 million.

Thats almost 200 million.

Read the article again, you interpret it wrongly.

Messi983

That's exacly what I said?

Also, a myth? Not much money?

Raking almost 100 million a year and 5-20% add on per shirt sold, plus a bonus fee for certain volume amounts is not much?
Lets say Barca sells 10 million clothing products for an average of 75 euro per product. Thats 750 million turnover, 10% is for Barca (very likely) that's 75 million.

Thats almost 200 million.

Read the article again, you interpret it wrongly.

I used the wrong words. I know Nike is paying us 150M/year so we make a big money here.

What I meant is that a single player shirt (in this case De Jong) won't make as much money for the club as people believe. It was well explained on Ibra-United example. If Ibra was making "only" about 3M in additional revenue for United I doubt FDJ would make Barça earn more than 1-2M. He's nowhere nearly as marketable player as Ibra though he could make something up by being a Nike athlete.

VN10

I used the wrong words. I know Nike is paying us 150M/year so we make a big money here.

What I meant is that a single player shirt (in this case De Jong) won't make as much money for the club as people believe. It was well explained on Ibra-United example. If Ibra was making "only" about 3M in additional revenue for United I doubt FDJ would make Barça earn more than 1-2M. He's nowhere nearly as marketable player as Ibra though he could make something up by being a Nike athlete.

Yeah true. But I'm not so sure about that, I mean Frenkie could be very marketable and way more marketable than you think.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Check your math. South America plus Asia Pacific account for about 30% of the total revenue for Nike in 2018, more than Europe, the Middle East and Africa combined.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/241692/nikes-sales-by-region-since-2007/

Home of Barca Fans