21 - Frenkie de Jong

serghei

He will always be handicapped by Valverde's low fluidity midfield setup here. It's just a matter of 'how much' will he lose in terms of creative expression. The passer is always influenced by the amount of movement around him from his teammates. And Valverde Barcelona is extremely poor at that, one of the worst we've had in the last 15 years or so. Compare it to Ajax from today, who are a very energetic high-workrate, high-fluidity team, and the difference is considerable.

Last edited:

abbbs97

So much praise for this guy coming from everyone tonight.

He was the best player on the pitch by far. Sooo glad we got this guy!! 86m was a batagin! He would go for 100m+ if we didn’t get him in January. He would be more in demand than de Ligt imo if we didn’t buy him in January.

Yes we’re stuck with Fuckverde for the next season but Frenkie will not play under him forever. I don’t even see Fuckverde benching this talent.

serghei

I've been thinking about his position when he comes. I'm doubting that Arthur, Busi, Frenkie would work very well against low defences.

Arthur and Frenkie would be very press resistant as CM's, very much like Xavi and Iniesta.
But they lack that extra in attack. Xavi had his deep runs into the box and Iniesta could get past anyone with the ball at his feet.

As I see it, Arthur and Frenkie would need a more offensive minded player together with them with Frenkie playing as a pivot.

The system lacks the most. When Xavi had his deep runs (which were rather rare mind you, compared with Iniesta's), midfield would re-shape and keep the compactness. This was done by exercise, everybody always knew how to position themselves in a huge variety of cases and situations of play. That was done via great tactics and advanced positional play interpretations by Guardiola, basically a good portion of what makes him a genius strategist in attacking phase: the ability to have players moving around while not losing shape and compactness.

Normally when you move around a lot, the risk of losing shape becomes bigger and bigger, especially when you leave your position and get into another teammate's position. So if you don't know what you are doing, you end up with cluttered areas and areas with gaps. Which is basically the opposite of what you'd want. Every situation of player moving between the lines in modern positional play needs to trigger positional adjustments from almost every teammate. Now, if we're talking about Valverde-type positional play, most of these theories aren't valid, because players stick to their position with minimum movement. Which is mostly why we create 3-4 chances with 75% possession, and Guardiola creates 15-20. With the same players in terms of quality.

If we try this shit today, with this manager, we'd get ruined on transitions because holes would be created when our midfielders would be adventurous. Which is probably why we prefer parking the bus when we meet a serious team lol.

Last edited:

Hardy

he has to play instead of Busi, the other turtle needs to fuck off as well but De Jong has to play there. the idiot obviously will bench Arthur or Vidal.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Best midfielder in the world right now. He made the CL squad of the season and was easily better throughout every stage than the other midfielders in that list. De Bruyne spent way too much time injured. Pirlo and Redknapp have recently praised him as the best CM in the world and I agree with them quite clearly. He's outshone literally every other world class midfielder he's come up against and given 8/10+ performances in pretty much every big game he's played for club and country this season. He's the best, unless you count Bernardo Silva as a midfielder which is debatable.

Giving MOTM performances and his presence is crucial in the revival of Ajax and Netherlands on the European stage which is incredible given how much both teams struggled to play at the top level for years until FDJ (along with other great players) came along.

He's defensively as good as anyone in the world except maybe Kante. His press resistance and football IQ in offense is also at the very top. I imagine he'll excel at Barca no matter what because he's just that good of a talent but it's a shame that he'll be playing under a complete bum like Valverde and likely next to dead wood like Rakitic.

xXKonan

I sit here and think, it may be possible that De Jong's sheer quality alone would force Valverde to actually change his Midfield setup.

When you look at him his athleticism, off the ball and on the ball is far superior to the likes of current Busi and Rakitic it's not even funny. Sure it's Valverde but If I were Busi and Rakitic they better watch themselves, you can't always hide behind the coach forever.

Especially if Arthur also performs well.

JPM85

Another talent for Shitverde to ruin.

Don't think even Ernie can ruin this talent anymore, simple because of all the praise he got from every football great.
He won't come in like Arthur, who was still a nobody before joining us. Frenkie is already named as top tier CM.

He will write his own death sentence not utalizing Frenkie by his strenghts.

Home of Barca Fans