21 - Frenkie de Jong

Newcomer

The fact that the likes of Griezmann and De Jong had to take that much time to make a decision is a testament to the following three things, in my opinion:

(1) How much we have fallen in terms of overall and relative attractiveness
(2) How poor our so-called "sporting project" has looked like. With Valverde being hell bent on playing the likes of Busquets and Rakitic game in game out and giving up on signings like Malcolm, it does look like younger and newer players might not fare well
(3) How money-crazed players have become. Money is becoming more and more important in terms of how players evaluate where they are signing, if not already the outright No.1 factor

I don't think your sporting project is poor.

Deschamps said it in an interview lately : this generation wants everything, right now. Before players would be happy, just to be there in Barcelona even if being mostly on the bench.

Look at Dembélé. He refused Barcelona once and went to Dortmund for his playing time. There, he showed all european clubs he was a real deal, cementing his future status at the future club of his choice. When Neymar left, he knew a starting place was vacant and pushed for it.
All that happened in 1 season.

I can see players thinking the same. Sancho left for Dortmund for playing time and is happy. Hudson Odoi is trying the same thing at Chelsea since he knows Bayern is axing Robben/Ribéry.

EdmondDantes

Just go on your profile page and there are tabs for mentions and quotes

Ladies and gentleman let this day be remembered when BBZ finally admitted that he disappears when the players he hates play well but is always back to spew his agenda as soon as they have one bad game.

No wonder you like Valverde. BS artists look out for each other. :lol:

We've known that all along.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
MD's brilliant journalists thought his father's name was Vader as in Vader de Jong, but Vader in Dutch = Father :lol: :lol:

[tw]1086968206798016513[/tw]

Devils

[tw]1087068748689887233[/tw]

No wonder his agent prefers PSG, dude is in for a big payday and not just from FDJ.

Incredible hustling!

Riordon

Honestly, De Jong isn't the only player who can replace Busquest. Rodri from Atletico is just as fantastic. Anyone who knows his situation regarding release clause?

If we are talking Busquest replacement I actually prefer Rodri as I see De jong as a CM.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Honestly, De Jong isn't the only player who can replace Busquest. Rodri from Atletico is just as fantastic. Anyone who knows his situation regarding release clause?

If we are talking Busquest replacement I actually prefer Rodri as I see De jong as a CM.

What about Ruben Neves?

Cule4life

The Culest
MD's brilliant journalists thought his father's name was Vader as in Vader de Jong, but Vader in Dutch = Father :lol: :lol:

[tw]1086968206798016513[/tw]

Well we know what will be his nickname if he joins us.

After a good performance for us "The power of the dark side prevailed today"

Riordon

What about Ruben Neves?

Good long balls but dont like his play when he is pressed. He isn't that press resistant. Rodri is much better. A steal for just 20m. We were interested last year after he had a great game against us but again too late.

Leo_Messi

Good long balls but dont like his play when he is pressed. He isn't that press resistant. Rodri is much better. A steal for just 20m. We were interested last year after he had a great game against us but again too late.

Rodri was hellbent on returning to his boyhood club after 5 years at Villarreal. We were never in the race to sign him. Yes, he would have been a great option. Wrote about him 2 years ago here or elsewhere (Twitter or a local Spanish forum), can't recall.

FDJ never was the ideal replacement for Busquets. Not sure from where people have gotten this idea. To play him as a pure DM, is to waste his talents. His best role is as a CM as you wrote.

Actually I am starting to be more and more convinced of FDJ (the player type that he is) NOT being the best choice. We could do (long-term) with a more dynamic, quicker and physically stronger, yet technically great, DM and CM hybrid like Ndombélé to partner with Arthur long-term and a more (traditional to our 4-3-3) offensive and goal-scoring midfielder. Imagine for a second a midfield composed of the player type that is Ndombélé, Arthur and a Coutinho like midfielder that is scoring those 10-15 goals per season.

In other words, maybe the player that the club should be really looking for is a long-term substitute for Vidal the player type? Because dear Lord, could we do with such a player in the midfield.

The reality is that Arthur already offers (probably at a higher level too) most of what FDJ does the best. So why not go for a type of player that our midfield will be screaming after the day Vidal leaves, Rakitic leaves (further declines) and similarly with Busquets?

Riordon

Rodri was hellbent on returning to his boyhood club after 5 years at Villarreal. We were never in the race to sign him. Yes, he would have been a great option. Wrote about him 2 years ago here or elsewhere (Twitter or a local Spanish forum), can't recall.

FDJ never was the ideal replacement for Busquets. Not sure from where people have gotten this idea. To play him as a pure DM, is to waste his talents. His best role is as a CM as you wrote.

Actually I am starting to be more and more convinced of FDJ (the player type that he is) NOT being the best choice. We could do (long-term) with a more dynamic, quicker and physically stronger, yet technically great, DM and CM hybrid like Ndombélé to partner with Arthur long-term and a more (traditional to our 4-3-3) offensive and goal-scoring midfielder. Imagine for a second a midfield composed of the player type that is Ndombélé, Arthur and a Coutinho like midfielder that is scoring those 10-15 goals per season.

In other words, maybe the player that the club should be really looking for is a long-term substitute for Vidal the player type? Because dear Lord, could we do with such a player in the midfield.

The reality is that Arthur already offers (probably at a higher level too) most of what FDJ does the best. So why not go for a type of player that our midfield will be screaming after the day Vidal leaves, Rakitic leaves (further declines) and similarly with Busquets?

Agree with you, IMO a midfield of a DM with Arthur and Frenkie as interiors won't work. Its too defensive. And Arthur and De Jong indeed have similarities.

We need a DM where I think Rodri would have been ideal. Now we need to find one. I wouldn't play Ndombele as a DM.

And a CM who can provide goal and assists if Coutinho doesn't adapt.

Home of Barca Fans