21 - Frenkie de Jong

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I cant believe some members here doubting De Jong. This man was literally the only midfield player last season, without him we would have been weaker. I have seen him in Ajax and Netherlands, he is a top3 midfield player when you dont put trash next to him ( Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal).

vegitot

I cant believe some members here doubting De Jong. This man was literally the only midfield player last season, without him we would have been weaker. I have seen him in Ajax and Netherlands, he is a top3 midfield player when you dont put trash next to him ( Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal).

So that mean he is only good when you stack him with a great players???

Gnidrologist

Well, being our best midfielder last season means he WAS good, just not as good as he could be with better support. That accounts for every player.

khaled_a_d

I cant believe some members here doubting De Jong. This man was literally the only midfield player last season,

He wasn't, especially under Setien. Or at least he was the best of the worse line we had.
I like the guy, but he was underwhelming a lot, he was one of our worst players in the league in the months before hiatus. There are excuses for that as he was put as CM which makes his job difficult since this requires him to do covering for attack.
But to claim he was good during that time is not true.
This is why he needs to step up. We are making changes this year and he should be playing his role.
Playing same level of last year is not acceptable, at all.

Birdy

That's what the 4-2-3-1 is supposed to do. Bring the best out of him. That's Koeman's primary goal stated many times.

Honestly, we was never an '8'-'10' midfielder, the kind of Iniesta, Modric, etc, to play comfortably as interior in the 4-3-3.
But what made the whole thing more difficult for him is the lack of wingers (because of the problematic front 3), which meant he had to roam on the left flank a lot.
And having De Jong popping up as left winger is ridiculous.

But I agree, in the 4-2-3-1 he should step up and reproduce what we saw with Ajax in 18/19

Gaudi

He wasn't, especially under Setien. Or at least he was the best of the worse line we had.
I like the guy, but he was underwhelming a lot, he was one of our worst players in the league in the months before hiatus. There are excuses for that as he was put as CM which makes his job difficult since this requires him to do covering for attack.
But to claim he was good during that time is not true.
This is why he needs to step up. We are making changes this year and he should be playing his role.
Playing same level of last year is not acceptable, at all.

Just a point that no one bar magical Messi (and even him not always) can shine when system is flawed. At the same time Sule looks like good CB in Bayern.

malvolio

No, it means when you are sticked with trash players next to you, its difficult to show your FULL masterclass.

de jong has been shit in games against weak opposition also. rakitic, vidal and busquets might be old, but it's hardly their fault that frenkie was shit in those kind of games. he had shittier colleagues in ajax or holland.

olivis

As an Ajax fan next to being a Barca fan I have seen De Jong play so well in so many setups, positions. He entered a dysfunctional Barca team at a young age in his first season and was still one of our better players.

I can't believe some think he is part of the problem. He is part of the solution.

JerseyAddict

As an Ajax fan next to being a Barca fan I have seen De Jong play so well in so many setups, positions. He entered a dysfunctional Barca team at a young age in his first season and was still one of our better players.

I can't believe some think he is part of the problem. He is part of the solution.

Great words.

khaled_a_d

Just a point that no one bar magical Messi (and even him not always) can shine when system is flawed. At the same time Sule looks like good CB in Bayern.

I gave him excuse for last season already, but if he has same performance this year he will need to be questioned.

Home of Barca Fans