21 - Frenkie de Jong

Joan

Just read an interview of his. Die-hard Barca fan, it seems. Likable kid and seems smart. We do keep an eye on him, don't we?

Frenkie de Jong has given a truly magnificent and must-read interview to @SANTOS_Magazine about Lionel Messi. The Ajax talent, heavily linked with Fútbol Club Barcelona, talks in a way about Leo which says everything about his excellent football brain.

Why Leo is more complete than CR7 for example. 'Ronaldo is a finisher. Left, right, head; very complete. But Messi is a finisher, creator, dribbler... He can play in midfield, score from free kicks, is fast, agile... and also able to jump. Messi can do everything.

His take on Argentina is also on point. ‘They don’t have an exceptional team. Despite that, Messi led them to three finals; two times at Copa América, one at the World Cup. How about that? Without Messi, they would not have come even close.

In Frenkie de Jong’s opinion, Pep’s Barcelona was the best team ever. ‘If they were going to play, you couldn’t do nothing. You never got the ball. It was wonderful to look at, a hell to play against.’

On watching Barcelona today. ‘I look at them from my couch. Sometimes my friends or girlfriend come over. They can talk, but I may not respond. If something magical happens, it catches my full attention.’

All in all Frenkie de Jong is a Barcelona fan since he was a kid. He wore a Messi shirt when Leo had number 30 and followed him closely ever since. The Mundo Deportivo covers do not say anything yet, but who knows what the future brings.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Ok, that mindfucked me a bit, but makes sense. We'll sign him next week and loan him out back to Ajax for another season. It's a good decision IMO. He seem to be incredibly talented and a complete midfielder.

Now get one midfielder like Thiago or Pjanic and we're good, assuming Griezmann also signs which I doubt now, but anyway...

JamDav1982

Dont watch Dutch football but he looks decent in clips.

Anyone know why he has never been involved in their fairly shit national team if as talented as made out?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Dont watch Dutch football but he looks decent in clips.

Anyone know why he has never been involved in their fairly shit national team if as talented as made out?

Injured his ankle in February, I think he broke it, when he was about to get called up a few months back and is still recovering from that.

Guy won't be a saviour right now, but I like the club signing talented midfielders like him and Arthur as long as they complement it with an established player as well to win now.

Last edited:

mia7007

Very good decision if we have money to bring another WC midfielder this season. We need one for now not for the future

Givenchy

best summer for me would be:

sign de Jong - loan back to Ajax for one season and bring in De Ligt
bring Arthur in now, loan out Yerry and sell Gomes
Griezmann

Givenchy

de Jong 40
de Ligt 50
Griezmann 100
Arthur 30

expensive

we could do a deal with Ajax to buy de Jong next season, an agreement

selling Gomes and potentially Denis should raise atleast 40m which would almost pay for Arthurs release clause this summer (50m)

probably optimistic of me to expect this board to pull something like that off though

Joan

And you end up with no backup defenders bar Vermaelen who'll miss half of the season, at least.

Home of Barca Fans