21 - Frenkie de Jong

snowy

Great game. Many strong recoverys as DM. The question is, if he plays DM who plays next to Arthur?!

We weren't daring enough yesterday and got lucky with the 1 point. BVB didn't even press all that aggressively. I like your Ricky Puig's suggestion!

pretty sure he'd be on the same frequency as Ansu

Frenkie & Arthur would provide sufficient stability to allow Puig to unleash his creative flow. On the wings, you play Fati, Bouze, Perez and rotate Messi Grizz upfront, keep them fresh for the CL.

Haven't seen it posted anywhere but might be worth trying it at least once --> experiment with Grizz in MF next to Arthur, with de J in DM

As for Suarez, only play him at the 60 min mark, so that he can go all gung ho attack dash sprints n track back for 30 min. Tadaaaaa!!! :p

bismp

De Jong linked up with Messi the most number of times (9 times), although the Argentine only played the last half hour of the match. The Dutchman was also the player who received the most passes from Messi (5) [MD]

Gnidrologist

That's what happens, when there's actual AM alongside him and Arthur. The last 20 minutes or so, when DJ went back to be a DM and Messi was on, we absolutely dominated despite the sterile tactics. Retardo seems to be getting some things right now so i hope he gets a clue about Dejong's rightful position.

Dammie10

Hello it’s my forst post on this forum as a Dutchmen. I’ve been following Frenkie since the European Cup under 19 when he was still playing for Willem 2. It blowed my mind because normal our Holland under 17/18/19 are coming very far in the tournaments ( sometimes even winning it ) but mostly its with shitty football and only duo a good field organisation. The better talents are always on the opposite team and we only play the ball backwards and side ways. For the first time in years I saw a midfielder that was very technical and speedy on the ball. Could easely turn away from his opponent and played forward. He outplayed Germany under 19 on his own. After that he came to Ajax and was fantastic in youth Ajax ( Jong Ajax). Even better than the well crowned Nouri and VD Beek. He dribbled past everybody with speed and technique playing as a number 8/10 ( left/ right midfielder) with 1 defensive midfielder behind him. Same as Barca plays. Also had fantastic through balls to unleash the strikers.

I’m a witness how Ajax fucked and messed up his development as a attacking or a central midfielder ( iniesta, Silva, Modric style). First it took sooooo long before he got a chance to enter the first team. They gave Nouri and VB Beek the advantage because they were really from the youth system so they could say that somebody from the youth Made
It again. He was already better than them but waited for his chance. Even in interviews had to bite his tong not to say anything wrong.

Then he got the chance as a number 8( left midfielder ) in a midfield with Ziyech ( right midfielder ) next to him and VD Beek actually as a number 6 under Keizer. I thought he played very good and like before with a great dribble or turn too loose his marker. They loose against Vitesse and 0-0 first half against VVV. Keizer Made him play as a central defender the second half. He does that good, they win 2-0 and he plays the rest of the season on that position. Even though it goes good his attacking skills and quick thinking in tight situations is not developing. Then he had a ankle injury for 6 months and the season is over. Now comes Ten Hag and at first he still had to play as a defender. But after a few games came to the midfield. People now consider him more defensive than attacking because of his time as a CV. So they only talk about him as a number 6. He even started to believe it himself. Before that he always stated that he was more attacking than a 6 what the coach of Willem 2 said. That year it was him and Schone as a double privot with VD Beek as 10. So he never played as a lonely 6. He had Some freedom to go forward with Schone covering ground and visa versa. In my eyes he was not the same anymore. Less dribbling, less flexibilety to turn away eventhough it did work sometimes in the easy Eredivisie. Didn’t saw many out of the box passes and through balls. He played in positions where he had to much time on the ball so I saw already that it would took him time to be very good at Barca with less time and smarter midfielders. I truly hope to see the same Frenkie again from his beginning times. It now looks like he doesn’t trust his dribble skill to fully use it. He’s doubting and it don’t make his game better. At Barca you don’t get the time to adapt. He had to be ready at Ajax to play with less time on the ball but it wasn’t like that although he still is a good player. I as a Ajax supporter find it shocking that they ruined his great attacking skills or are the reason that he has to find it again. He is no loonely number 6 like Busquets. You Will see that he has too much attacking in his head so the field Will be totally open. Time will tell how his game will go but believe me could have way better already

EdmondDantes

mini_image00009.jpeg

Frenkie's got monster calves.

Riordon

[MENTION=26743]Dammie10[/MENTION], thank you for that post. I completely agree. Yes, I used to compare him to Cruyff, he was simply that good at dribbling and through balls. But his dribbling and carry isn’t the same.

I’m sure that the ankle injury that kept him out for 5 months last year made him lose mobility, flexibility and some of his pace. I have said this a lot of times, don’t know if it’s possible for him to regain it though ankle injuries may hunt you.

Completely agree with the fact that he isn’t a lone DM.

Interesting post though. For us that have been following Frenkie for long, it’s clear he isn’t the same as he was before February 2018. He has lost some.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

Guess i never saw Frenkie in that role. Started following around year and half back and he was already established as a holding player that sometimes ventures forward. Think we can be optimistic, because there were some situation against Dortmund, where he asserted himself in the final third dismantling defenders by clever movement. Throughballs will surely come, when our players start to actually move to receive them, which will happen only sporadically by luck and individual initiative from some players, until Valturd is here.

Home of Barca Fans