21 - Frenkie de Jong

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Nah. A clear level below.

I'd put the tiers as:

1. Xavi
2. Iniesta---Zidane
3. Modric

Modric has had 4 outstanding CL campaigns, 2 assists in CL finals and was MOTM in a couple of them too. Also the Golden Ball at the WC and a Balon D'or, even if he didn't deserve the latter. His peak was high enough to put him just behind those greats, he didn't have the longevity or league success to match them though.

serghei

I'd put the tiers as:

1. Xavi
2. Iniesta---Zidane
3. Modric

Modric has had 4 outstanding CL campaigns, 2 assists in CL finals and was MOTM in a couple of them too. Also the Golden Ball at the WC and a Balon D'or, even if he didn't deserve the latter. His peak was high enough to put him just behind those greats, he didn't have the longevity or league success to match them though.

Yes, I'd place Modric in the Pirlo zone.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Yes, I'd place Modric in the Pirlo zone.

Modric is not below Xavi nor Iniesta imo.

Modric definitely a notch below both Xavi and Iniesta.

I really like this topic because I find Modric to be very underrated at his peak and I think he doesn't get credit for some of the unique things about him.

It all boils down to one difference between Barca and RM in the 2010's. Barca were definitely more dominant, but one thing RM did better is that when they did lose they went down swinging. The offense didn't look slow or stale or out of ideas, they just looked bad. Many times they'd even create several chances even in bad losses and just brick them horribly. I'd say we did go down swinging against Chelsea but several other times over the years against Inter/Bayern/Atletico/Juve and others we just couldn't get the offense going at all.

In modern football, your team needs to be a perpetual motion machine. If the movement and pace of play slows down, then the offense gets bogged down and gridlocked. This is where Modric comes in.

If we were to compare Modric and Iniesta:

-Iniesta is a better passer
-Iniesta is a better dribbler
-Iniesta is a better pure chance creator

He is the more talented player on the ball, and 100% certainly the greater player if you compare their careers.

But Modric brings other things to the table.

-He has greater range in his play. Better long balls, cross field passes, crosses.
-He plays at a higher tempo/pace. Iniesta was very quick and agile but Modric looks like he's fucking zooming around out there and covers a crazy amount of ground in attacking moves sometimes. He looks like he's hitting full sprint in pockets of space at times and I can't think of other midfielders who are quicker except someone like Kaka on a straight line sprint.

Modric also is uniquely good at recognizing counters and quick transitions and pulling the trigger with quick/long passes to running players. What sets Modric apart from Xavi/Iniesta/Zidane/whoever is his tendency to catch defenses before they reset with aggressive and direct passes. Modric constantly generates counters before the defenses could set themselves, either from his own half with long balls after possession was won or in the opponent half with quick transitions in somewhat smaller spaces. 1 touch long balls with the outside of his foot and aggressive 1-2's allowed him to create counter after counter or transition opportunities even in heavy possession.

I personally believe he made his 2 main partners Kroos and Rakitic look way more mobile and higher paced in their actions than they would be without him. This is because of the aggressive/direct tempo he sets, so that the play is never slow and things keep flowing end to end. It was especially clear with Rakitic at Croatia compared to Barca.

Modric also has better cardio than Zidane or Iniesta, covering more ground over 90 minutes. His radius of action is also huge and he's constantly doing things on both the left and right sides in offense. He's really a special player, it was no coincidence RM won 4 CL's in 5 years with this guy orchestrating the style of their play.

I think he would've done some crazy things if partnered with Xavi or Iniesta in this team, playmaking for Messi. Sad part is we easily could've gotten him too.

The Observer

Modric is not a generational talent, he is a great midfielder that comes around every 7 years or so. He is in the Schweinsteiger tier except Schweinsteiger was more injury prone and only played for a great team for a short period under Heynckes.

Look no further than every single Clasico we played against peak Madrid. Even with a declined Barca midfield with the likes of Paulinho in it we never got outplayed by Modric and Kroos midfield. If anything, Rakitic came out on top between the 2 Croatian midfielders almost every time they faced each other. Was also better at the World Cup except 1 game against Argentina but the 3peat hype wave carried him to the Ballon d'Or, so what can you do?

And now look at the midfield domination from Barca against Real in 5-0, 6-2, 3-1 (in Pep's last season) or 2-0 in Bernabeu (09/10, Xavi masterclass deciding the title race). The Barca domination led to freaking Real Madrid, record CL holders, camping a Boeing 747 in their own home stadium with something absurd like 10 defenders on the pitch and Özil false 9 and Di Maria, Benzema, Higuain all on the bench at some point.

Xavi and Modric are more than 1 tier apart. Xavi was not only better at controlling a game, he also had end product that you only see from elite #10s like Messi. I think he still holds the record of most chances created in a World Cup since Cruyff. Madness that anyone would put Modric and Xavi in the same tier and more so coming from a Barca fan who must have followed both players' careers closer than other casual fans which would be more excuseable if they held such opinions.

Home of Barca Fans