21 - Frenkie de Jong

Leo_Messi

As predicted. When Club de la Mitjanit is onboard for months at a time they are onto something. That is why I never really doubted his arrival.

The reported transfer fee (€90) and wages are quite high to put it mildly though although those are unconfirmed numbers. Too much. Let us hope that both will be worth it. Hard to not look at FDJ as a generational talent. This, as also written in detail, most likely means the exit of Rakitic this upcoming summer which is a positive thing as he is declining and it will be one of the last opportunities to cash in on him. Curious to see where this will put Busquets given his post-match interview a few months ago. I imagine that he will have 2 seasons left at most counting from the next season onwards.

My main "worry" so to speak about this transfer, aside from FDJ failing (which I doubt) is how close stylistically he is to Arthur with neither of them being genuine DM's but rather CM's. If both are paired with an actual DM, our midfield might look too static and not offensive enough. I believe that we need an offensive "Iniesta like midfielder that is a constant threat offensively) in our preferred lineup. Actually I could see FDJ having the potential to develop into one but that should not be the priority. Given that Coutinho has not played even 4 full games as an actual midfielder, it cannot be ruled out that Coutinho could work alongside the likes of Arthur and FDJ or with one of them and an "pure" DM. Will be interesting for sure.

In any case FDJ is a generational talent and I have no doubt in my mind that he will show this at the club if he gets continuous playing time and does not suffer from any long-term injuries. I have little worry about his adaptation in BCN.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
By the way, according to Transfermarkt, we got 25m (23m transfer fee + 2m loan fee) for Paco and 47.5m for Paulinho (42m transfer fee + 5.5m loan fee).

messi2140

6racies Xavi
I mean you also said Dembele's ceiling is Alexis Sanchez, while he's showing he can be much, much better. Still young and figuring out how everything works for a club like Barcelona. His skillset and ceiling is undoubtedly higher though with his dribbling and close control improving, and his creativity being a strength for him. Even chipping in with key goals now.

I know the hysteria in this forum is constant, but perhaps we shouldn't jump to conclusions so fast?

Cheers for pointing it out , because I was just about to search through the Dembele thread to find that one.

Givenchy

90m on De Jong, 160m on Coutinho, 105m+ on Dembele ... how the fuck are we able to spend more than Real Madrid knowning that they have way more money than us?

I'm guessing the Coutinho and Dembele signings were mostly from the Neymar money but yeah i'll be interested to see what we have left come summer window

no idea whats going on at Madrid

ebieymjunior

Bought De Jong with the money from Paulinho and Paco
Now go even bigger and buy de Ligt and maybe Grimaldo (with money from Gomes, Rafinha and Denis)
And trick PSG into swapping Mbappé for Rakitic and Coutinho (tell them Neymar wants his Brazilian friend and add Rakitic as a bonus)

khaled_a_d

While I agree with you about the price being too high, but didn't we say the same thing about Dembele's price tag places him under extra pressure to perform? He is performing now, isn't he?

Dembele struggled with pressure early on, and actually I think EV has done good job taking things slowly with him, until he is more ready for being consistent starter, rather than forcing things and facing consistent shit storms.
Remember Dembele actually gone on war with media and even EV spoke to the media about that.
Gomes was also a target from the media and didn't survive despite being a decent player -even if bad fit- and same thing with Paco.
I am not saying that high cost= high pressure= failure, but high cost= high pressure= another obstacle to deal with in his career.

I am not making a prediction here, just saying what is the situation as I see it. FDJ could respond very well, this what I am hoping for since he is joining us now.

serghei

Dembele struggled with pressure early on, and actually I think EV has done good job taking things slowly with him, until he is more ready for being consistent starter, rather than forcing things and facing consistent shit storms.
Remember Dembele actually gone on war with media and even EV spoke to the media about that.
Gomes was also a target from the media and didn't survive despite being a decent player -even if bad fit- and same thing with Paco.
I am not saying that high cost= high pressure= failure, but high cost= high pressure= another obstacle to deal with in his career.

I am not making a prediction here, just saying what is the situation as I see it. FDJ could respond very well, this what I am hoping for since he is joining us now.

Fans and media already started to look at 90m like a normal sum in current trend of events on the football transfer market. Pressure will adjust. Only reason why 90m. transfer fee would generate pressure is if fans and media see it as out of the ordinary. It isn't that anymore. Oil clubs made sure of that. Lukaku and Morata went for 80+ just to give you an example.

khaled_a_d

how close stylistically he is to Arthur with neither of them being genuine DM's but rather CM's. If both are paired with an actual DM, our midfield might look too static and not offensive enough.

I've high doubts that FDJ will be a CM here, while he will play in that position from time to time,I think the plan with him is being Busquets long term replacement.
It has been his natural position for long time, Busquets himself will never be sole DM in any other club (either a DM in 2 DM gameplan or CM) and FDJ fits his style a lot. Also FDJ and Arthur seem to compliment each other a lot as DM/CM pair than CM pair tbh
The most expensive signing from outside of the top 5 leagues is Fred for 59M.
For the club, FDJ will be 3rd most expensive, fans already starting to comment on the price as you see :lol: , and Gomes and Paco was for actually relatively similar prices.

Fans and media already started to look at 90m like a normal sum in current trend of events on the football transfer market. Pressure will adjust. Only reason why 90m. transfer fee would generate pressure is if fans and media see it as out of the ordinary. It isn't that anymore. Oil clubs made sure of that. Lukaku and Morata went for 80+ just to give you an example.

Only 9 deals in history has exceeded 90M, no one will look at it as normal deal. I can assure you that.
Those deals were PSG 2017 signings, our own Neymar's money signings, Cr7 twice along Bale,Pogba & Higuain
Non of those came from a league comparable to Eredivisie (sorry, french league is far superior)

serghei

Only 9 deals in history has exceeded 90M, no one will look at it as normal deal. I can assure you that.
Those deals were PSG 2017 signings, our own Neymar's money signings, Cr7 twice along Bale,Pogba & Higuain
Non of those came from a league comparable to Eredivisie (sorry, french league is far superior)

So you mean 7 deals in the last 2 years then and counting. Plus a bunch of 80m. deals.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans