Lautaro Martinez

JamDav1982

I dont think a lack of quality at the back was the reason for conceding too many goals. But its highly subjective. Our midfield has been dross and our forward line lacked punch. Its hard to properly defend with those conditions.

The defence is not great and made worse by slow Busi 'protecting' them.

It is heart in mouth time any time a team break on Barca.

Lenglet has improved though.

Messi983

Hah. 41 mil. Is this to correct books again?

So we have no backup for Alba again?

More or less. We've paid 18m for Firpo last year (don't know if any variables were met this year but probably not since he didn't play much and we won't win anything) so we could make around 26m profit on him in the books.

On the other hand Lautaro's cost next year will be 22m so we'll actually profit from this swap from a pure financial standpoint.

GOATomeu doing his magic again. :bartomeu:

As for Alba backup I'd give a chance to Akieme. He'll be 23 so can't be registered for the first team and play for Barca B anymore and we've considered selling him for 3m. But if that's all we'll get for him I prefer to give him a chance.

Alba will always play anyway so no need to spend money on his backup again.

Tbf who can we even sell to raise 70m? Coutinho in this covid market and high wages is a 50m signing at most, but then which club would buy him that he would be happy to go to?

Firpo will be officially counted here as a sale for 40m I think. Otherwise I guess we could do something like this:

- Todibo 20m
- Vidal 12m
- Alena, Miranda and maybe some other B team players could get us another 10-15m total
- then 6-8m loan fee for Coutinho again.

Probably still around 15m short. Don't expect to get anything for Raki (we'd probably accept to terminate his contract a year earlier to let him go to Sevilla), Umtiti or Dembele.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Forget his technical ability, it's not like he has a place here anyways. Suarez will still start the majority of matches at ST next season and Griezmann also prefers the middle. Messi is playing more centrally than ever these days as well.

Lautaro will sit on the bench most of the time, will start the odd cup match or be shoved to the wing when he comes on as a substitute. Then at the end of the season he becomes the problem of a new board and coach.

It is also extremely dubious whether this bloke can spearhead a frontline by himself. He has always been at his best when playing off another striker. With the national team it was Augero and with Inter it is Lukaku. Seems like another Griezmann situation waiting to happen.

I totally agree with almost everything you've said, the only difference is that I think griezman will be the one mostly riding the bench. It's actually absurd that we're willing to take such a huge risk filling a position that doesn't exist for the 3rd time! I hope this is just paper talk and I'm over reacting.

MTL_Barca

Maybe i'm just naiv but committing to a new super expensive striker should mean Suarez loses his status as an untouchable starter. I mean they can't seriously expect to play Lautaro-Suarez-Messi or plan to bench the next 100M player...right? :lol:

JamDav1982

Yeah Newcastle is our best hope or maybe Chelsea if they want proven veteran.. maybe Arsenal too. Actually maybe Tottenham could bite too. These teams want to sign big names for their teams. Especially Arsenal and Tottenham after their disaster seasons. Coutinho is a big name in England.

I think we will get decent price for him from PL. He is highly rated there and proven.

Chelsea wont go for Coutinho dont think.

Their plan seems to be to build a strong young team and build as City/Liverpool teams age a bit.

Only Prem team could see as possibilities probably Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and possibly Leicester but doubt they cover his wages.

mc_lovin

That is main issue with him as a player.

Personally quite like a lot about him but unsure over his finishing but to have Suarez, Griezmann and Lautaro in squad is ridiculous. Not sure what formation/tactics have in mid for that.

Unless Suarez is leaving but cant see it.

Griezmann accounts for nothing, we cant sign any forward to accommodate him. Doesnt matter if its a winger, striker or whatever. But his best shot right now is actually getting a mobile left sided striker and reproduce the Villareal setup.

JamDav1982

Griezmann accounts for nothing, we cant sign any forward to accommodate him. Doesnt matter if its a winger, striker or whatever. But his best shot right now is actually getting a mobile left sided striker and reproduce the Villareal setup.

Who said anything about signing a striker to accommodate Griezmann?

Rory

We can win the league with Lenglet-Pique (who both played a good season). Our offense has been by far our biggest issue. I dont think an athletic CB or midfielder will help us more than a forward.

We've scored 14 more goals than Real this year but conceded 14 more goals. Losing the league is massively to do with our defence.

JamDav1982

Was in regards to this:

Planning with Griezmann in the center is a bad idea. Its Suarez and (potentially) Lautaro - or noone.

Grizmann as part of front two would be better than Suarez or Lautaro and it is not even particularly close.

The issue is there are too many of them and front line will still lack any proper pace, dribbling etc.

JamDav1982

We've scored 14 more goals than Real this year but conceded 14 more goals. Losing the league is massively to do with our defence.

Front line plays a part as well on he defence being weaker.

Real have a simple structure to team where every player works hard off the ball and maintains a shape.

Barca have forwards that dont defend as part of unit and dont play a stricter shape.

Also Barcas lack of pace on front line allows teams to push up and commit more players forward as less threat coming back the way.

It is all linked and team as a unit is fucked.

mc_lovin

There is no strict separation between defense and midfield/attack. I didnt have the impression our CBs (or fullbacks) were in particular shit. But then again, its my subjective impression.

Rory

Front line plays a part as well on he defence being weaker.

Real have a simple structure to team where every player works hard off the ball and maintains a shape.

Barca have forwards that dont defend as part of unit and dont play a stricter shape.

Also Barcas lack of pace on front line allows teams to push up and commit more players forward as less threat coming back the way.

It is all linked and team as a unit is fucked.

Yeah can't argue with that, I think structurally we will be far better off with someone like Lautaro up front than Suarez. I just don't think 1) suarez will be dropped and 2) it should have to cost €100m to do this structural change which is why I'd rather pour money on the defence.

Whenever I think of our starting xi now I look at it and think who is the opponent actually scared of in the defence. I just think we're so weak there. Alba - every player knows there'll be pockets of space behind him. Semedo - players will think meh he's decent but at some point I'll get him. Pique - will beat you in the air but at least 3-5 times a game will be far out of position and Lenglet the same as Semedo. I'd love to get some defenders in that give that psychological advantage/physically strong and quick so the opponent struggle to cope with them

Messi983

More or less. We've paid 18m for Firpo last year (don't know if any variables were met this year but probably not since he didn't play much and we won't win anything) so we could make around 26m profit on him in the books.

On the other hand Lautaro's cost next year will be 22m so we'll actually profit from this swap from a pure financial standpoint.

GOATomeu doing his magic again. :bartomeu:

As for Alba backup I'd give a chance to Akieme. He'll be 23 so can't be registered for the first team and play for Barca B anymore and we've considered selling him for 3m. But if that's all we'll get for him I prefer to give him a chance.

Alba will always play anyway so no need to spend money on his backup again.

Firpo will be officially counted here as a sale for 40m I think. Otherwise I guess we could do something like this:

- Todibo 20m
- Vidal 12m
- Alena, Miranda and maybe some other B team players could get us another 10-15m total
- then 6-8m loan fee for Coutinho again.

Probably still around 15m short. Don't expect to get anything for Raki (we'd probably accept to terminate his contract a year earlier to let him go to Sevilla), Umtiti or Dembele.

I totally forgot about Rafinha who could get us 10-15m. Wague will also be sold and maybe Neto as well. So we should get around 70m even without selling Coutinho. Now the question is do we want to get those 70m if we'll spend them on Lautaro? :D Personally I don't but I've already accepted we'll buy him.

Rory

There is no strict separation between defense and midfield/attack. I didnt have the impression our CBs (or fullbacks) were in particular shit. But then again, its my subjective impression.

It's all linked for sure, as Jamdav said. I just feel with pique still being our best cb at 33 with little in the shape of elite cb's in the squad it would be great investing there. Alba is questionable defensively but for the most part is good enough. Lautaro would improve team structure and make us better defensively but if that's all he does then he's no different to Griezmann's addition here.

Home of Barca Fans