Lautaro Martinez

Messigician

This is the type of player you pick up for 10m at some south American favela and are reasonably satisfied when he develops into a hidden gem. Not a player you pay 110m for lol

mc_lovin

Probably better idea, but you know our management. They want that fancy striker and end up making bad decision.

Is it?

Our current setup:
Offense: Griezmann - Suarez - Messi
Midfield: Arthur - Busquets - Frenkie
Defense: Alba - Lenglet - Pique - Semedo

It really doesnt matter where we start, but Suarez is the oldest. Then Pique, then Busquets. We can survive in any line for another season. I would be more than content with 1 quality signing (and squad players for depth). Lautaro makes a lot of sense to me as I dont see many clear cut improvements in midfield/defense available.

Riordon

111 in is the market where all clubs are suffering is way way to much. We shouldn't be desperate. Look at how Bayern is doing it with Sane for a long time. Liverpool dont even want to pay 60m for Timo Werner. 60m.

We are a joke.

FinBarcelonafan

111 in is the market where all clubs are suffering is way way to much. We shouldn't be desperate. Look at how Bayern is doing it with Sane for a long time. Liverpool dont even want to pay 60m for Timo Werner. 60m.

We are a joke.

Good point. Bayern always seems to find bargains. We always overpay.

Messi983

Is it?

Our current setup:
Midfield: Arthur - Busquets - Frenkie
Defense: Alba - Lenglet - Pique - Semedo

It really doesnt matter where we start, but Suarez is the oldest. Then Pique, then Busquets. We can survive in any line for another season. I would be more than content with 1 quality signing (and squad players for depth). Lautaro makes a lot of sense to me as I dont see many clear cut improvements in midfield/defense available.

See, here is a problem. You think Lautaro is a replacement for Suarez while most of us who know how this club de amigos is working over the last few years know Suarez is unbenchable. So the real question here is if Lautaro is really that big upgrade over Griezmann on the left wing (because that's where he will primarily play next year or two) he's worth spending 100m on?

I think this lineup would have better chances to win anything next season than any lineup involving Lautaro.

Midfield: Partey/Fabian - Busi - Frenkie
Defense: Alba - Upamecano - Pique - Semedo

Again, I'm not "benching" Pique nor Busi because I don't expect this to happen next year both both Upamecano and Partey/Fabian would improve the team a lot.

If we want a short Argentinian striker who is quite powerful, fast and a bully then we can get Chimy Avila. He can do most things Lautaro can for a quarter of his price. Anyway, I don't think we really need a new forward. Messi and Suarez will again play 80-90% of games and Griez/Fati/Braithwaite/Trincao are good enough to rotate at the other forward position.

mc_lovin

See, here is a problem. You think Lautaro is a replacement for Suarez while most of us who know how this club de amigos is working over the last few years know Suarez is unbenchable. So the real question here is if Lautaro is really that big upgrade over Griezmann on the left wing (because that's where he will primarily play next year or two) he's worth spending 100m on?

I think this lineup would have better chances to win anything next season than any lineup involving Lautaro.

Midfield: Partey/Fabian - Busi - Frenkie
Defense: Alba - Upamecano - Pique - Semedo

Again, I'm not "benching" Pique nor Busi because I don't expect this to happen next year both both Upamecano and Partey/Fabian would improve the team a lot.

If we want a short Argentinian striker who is quite powerful, fast and a bully then we can get Chimy Avila. He can do most things Lautaro can for a quarter of his price. Anyway, I don't think we really need a new forward. Messi and Suarez will again play 80-90% of games and Griez/Fati/Braithwaite/Trincao are good enough to rotate at the other forward position.

Suarez is 34 at the start of next season, reality has to kick in sooner or later. Partey would be nice (but impossible), Fabian is ridiculously overpriced and not all that (at best a slight upgrade to Athur - not for me though). Upamecano sounds nice, but not necessarily the player whos a good fit for Pique. Maybe thats just my impression after watching at best ~5 games of him. Same type of CB as Pique (and Lenglet for that matter).

I get that people might have reservations about Lautaros quality (and price), but every other argument - like club de amigos - is bullshit.

Messi983

Good point. Bayern always seems to find bargains. We always overpay.

Well, to be fair they've made some poor signings over the last few years as well. Maybe he'll prove me wrong but Lucas Hernandez for 80m looks like a big waste of money so far because of his injuries. They've bought him mainly for his versatility (CB/LB) but now with Davies's emergence they don't need a LB anymore so will Lucas really prove to be a 80m CB whenever fully fit? I doubt. Also, 35m for Pavard who is a starter but they are already looking for an upgrade at RB doesn't seem like a bargain either. Neither do 40m for Tolisso or 35m for Renato Sanches in the past.

So besides Gnabry and Davies I don't really see any other great bargains for them over the last 5 years (yeah, I'm aware that's still more than what we've had. Umtiti was probably our biggest bargain signing for 25m the same summer City paid 60m for John Stones but obviously Umtiti being stupid and becoming injury prone ruined our chance to ever call him a bargain again) but people will always look at those two players like they are a norm for how great they're doing while in realilty Bayern also had their fair share of transfer faliures like any (big) club. They did a partial rebuild moving on from club legends Robben and Ribery but still depend a lot on older players like Neuer, Boateng, Alaba, Thiago, Lewa and Muller who in opposite to our old core (except Messi obviously) still perform on a much higher level overall so I'd say this is a biggest difference between both teams right now. Of course they were always financially much more responsible so they'll have easier job to continue their rebuild and surely their younger players also helped them to refresh the team while our youngsters are struggling with injuries/fitness problems.

Yannik

besides Gnabry and Davies I don't really see any other great bargains for them over the last 5 years

Bayern got Kimmich, Coman, Gnabry, Suele, Goretzka and Davies for total less amount of 70m. Douglas Costa was 30m, but given that he was pretty fucking good for half a year and they were able to sell him for 46m when he dropped in form made the transfer quite a win for them.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Bayern got Kimmich, Coman, Gnabry, Suele, Goretzka and Davies for total less amount of 70m. Douglas Costa was 30m, but given that he was pretty fucking good for half a year and they were able to sell him for 46m when he dropped in form made the transfer quite a win for them.

Considering the fact that Bayern are a big club who are always up there or near abouts they do a remarkable job in the transfer market.

Give Bayern an amount of 400 million and they will do a much better job og buying players then most especially us.
All we do is buy overrated players and then proceed to play them out of position! 😃

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Sure Bayern still has quite a few older players to replace but they probably only spent a fifth of what we have spent. Bayern is very shrewd when it comes to signing players. If they can get a player for free they wouldn't spend a single penny on him.

Home of Barca Fans