Lautaro Martinez

Messi983

So you think he can REPLACE Suarez or we would still need to play him because otherwise we wouldn't score? :D And further, do you think Messi behind Lautaro-Griez could work if Lautaro is a #9?

(forget for a moment a true problem that Suarez will play regardless because he's Messi's best friend)

FinBarcelonafan

Just to be clear: Lautaro IS a #9. The Griezmann comparisons are kind of stupid and lazy. I cant repeat that more often: hes not a 2nd striker. Maybe he is being misused by Inter recently to play Lukaku in a more advanced role (whos pretty useless otherwise).

But just rewatch Lautaros game at Camp Nou: he was leading the line. The issue with him is consistency - he looked like a world beater in CL and kind of average in the League. I am pretty forgiving for his post break performances though, he looked disinterested and lacked his usual tenaciousness. Maybe thats because he is with his head in Barcelona or because the League is gone. Inter is a mess as well.

And again, I dont think hes a 100ME+ player yet, but from the strikers on the market hes my preferred option. It helps that I dont rate Haaland that much though :S

Question. How do you not rate Haaland? Clearly the best young striker right now. Based on results. The guy crushes every league he plays.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think he rates Haaland, but not as much as a lot of other people.

I can see his point tbh even though I'm not sure I agree yet. Technically Haaland is nowhere close to the players he's compared to like Zlatan or Lewandowski and Dortmund's system makes attacking players look better than they usually are too so I do expect a regression when he moves to another club. How much that regression will be will be interesting to see.

FinBarcelonafan

I think he rates Haaland, but not as much as a lot of other people.

I can see his point tbh even though I'm not sure I agree yet. Technically Haaland is nowhere close to the players he's compared to like Zlatan or Lewandowski and Dortmund's system makes attacking players look better than they usually are too so I do expect a regression when he moves to another club. How much that regression will be will be interesting to see.

That's fair and I agree the point about Dortmund BUT how could you ever make a case Lautaro over Haaland?

mc_lovin

So you think he can REPLACE Suarez or we would still need to play him because otherwise we wouldn't score? :D And further, do you think Messi behind Lautaro-Griez could work if Lautaro is a #9?

(forget for a moment a true problem that Suarez will play regardless because he's Messi's best friend)

No idea if Messi behind Lautaro-Griez could work, but what are the alternatives? Its either writing off Griezmann (looks unlikely) or try something different. We have wing options as well to be fair with Fati, Trincao, Dembele (yeah^^) and (at least nominally) Messi. We will see how the problem with Suarez evolves, but I think reality will kick in sooner rather than later.

Question. How do you not rate Haaland? Clearly the best young striker right now. Based on results. The guy crushes every league he plays.

Hes straightforward, knows how to exploit space, but cant handle high balls at all (night and day difference in comparison to the smaller Lautaro) and looks rather clumsy, which I think is the general problem with strikers above a certain height. Ibrahimovic, whos technically great, but otherwise pretty clumsy as the prime example.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Fati - striker - Dembele is the dream (at least profilewise). Would be nice if Fati confirms his status and Dembele magically recovers.

Jakabor

Fati - striker - Dembele is the dream (at least profilewise). Would be nice if Fati confirms his status and Dembele magically recovers.

Agree, but when? In three years when Messi, Suarez and Griezmann are gone?

Fati (20 years old) - Lautaro (26 years old) - Dembele (26 years old).
That is the dream right there.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Just to be clear: Lautaro IS a #9. The Griezmann comparisons are kind of stupid and lazy. I cant repeat that more often: hes not a 2nd striker. Maybe he is being misused by Inter recently to play Lukaku in a more advanced role (whos pretty useless otherwise).

But just rewatch Lautaros game at Camp Nou: he was leading the line. The issue with him is consistency - he looked like a world beater in CL and kind of average in the League. I am pretty forgiving for his post break performances though, he looked disinterested and lacked his usual tenaciousness. Maybe thats because he is with his head in Barcelona or because the League is gone. Inter is a mess as well.

And again, I dont think hes a 100ME+ player yet, but from the strikers on the market hes my preferred option. It helps that I dont rate Haaland that much though :S

So He's had a couple of games where he's looked good and for the most part has been fairly lacklustre in the rest. You're basing his performances on a Very small sample size of him performing well coupled with a bunch of what-ifs doesn't constitute a sound purchasing strategy that any grounded person should consider.

If he's a 9, He's a 9 that has a shitty scoring record and is no where near clinical enough to justify him being a starter or a player worth 50m+ let alone 100m+ (our very talented scouting and sporting departments seem to think otherwise though...), you just need to look at the difference in city with Augero compared to Jesus to see how important that aspect of a 9 is.

Raketa10

The worst possible economic crisis is behind the door and we are going to pay a ludicrous amount of money for Lautaro, who isn't worth half of that money. This club is inevitably heading towards bankruptcy.

Tackle

Manchester City expect to be busy in the summer transfer window and have earmarked Lautaro Martinez as a potential long-term replacement for Sergio Aguero. [sky sports]

Please Pep, do it.

Home of Barca Fans