World Cup 2018

El Gato

Villarato!
The feeling around the team here in England is very humble and realistic, this time. Southgate is very popular, people are mostly happy with the team, and no one is expecting miracles - everyone I've spoken to would be happy with getting out of the group. Usually everyone demands at least a semi-final (which is unreasonable), but something seems to have changed this time.

I personally think we need to get out of the group. After that, we might be able to surprise a few people if we get some luck and things go right, but all I ask is to get out of this group, which we really should be doing. :)

Yeah, same here with English supporters in Scotland. The one thing I think would really let the team down is if somehow you didn't win either Tunisia or Panama game.. THAT would be the test for Southgate, because doubts and media would get all over these sorts of results. I believe even if you do have a shitty result or unconvincing wins in the group stages, you shouldn't be harsh on your players.

The key with this generation is to make them believe they can pick themselves up and persevere. Many Spurs players were gutted about the Juve result, understandably so. The talk is generally that they need a winner from the outside to help them get over the hurdle. Can't get that in the national team so this belief has to come from either the manager with the right guidance through media shitstorm in case you do disappoint, or from the supporters. The fans absolutely CANNOT boo this team off the pitches, even if they have another Iceland happen to them.

Oddly enough I find myself sympathising with the English quite a bit this time, but it'll probably be the doom of me if you are successful. I hate the way Liverpool fans behave whenever they get anywhere near success :puke: and it'd be the same exact type of bragging and douchebaggery if you overperform.

Last edited:

West Saxon

Yeah, same here with English supporters in Scotland. The one thing I think would really let the team down is if somehow you didn't win either Tunisia or Panama game.. THAT would be the test for Southgate, because doubts and media would get all over these sorts of results. I believe even if you do have a shitty result or unconvincing wins in the group stages, you shouldn't be harsh on your players.

The key with this generation is to make them believe they can pick themselves up and persevere. Many Spurs players were gutted about the Juve result, understandably so. The talk is generally that they need a winner from the outside to help them get over the hurdle. Can't get that in the national team so this belief has to come from either the manager with the right guidance through media shitstorm in case you do disappoint, or from the supporters. The fans absolutely CANNOT boo this team off the pitches, even if they have another Iceland happen to them.

Oddly enough I find myself sympathising with the English quite a bit this time, but it'll probably be the doom of me if you are successful. I hate the way Liverpool fans behave whenever they get anywhere near success :puke: and it'd be the same exact type of bragging and douchebaggery if you overperform.

Yes, agreed. I personally will never be hard on the team so long as I can sense the effort is there; you can't ever ask for more from anyone other than that they do their best. We have a good coach now. He's no tactical genius, but unlike Hodgson, Southgate has a defined style of play, which is something we've lacked for many years. Psychologically, the players seem to be in a better place than under previous managers. It seems like a very relaxed, tight-knit group, which will hopefully help. Part of the problem in previous tournaments has been players hating the whole experience, feeling under immense pressure to do things that aren't realistic. I think we're in better shape this time in that regard.

Oddly enough, though, I fear the Tunisia and Panama games more than the Belgium one. Belgium will attack us and leave room for the counters we are best at; Tunisia and Panama will defend deep and make us break them down, and that's not our strength. A draw to one of those two is not out of the question, but I think we can get a result vs Belgium to make up for it.

As for the bragging, we are entitled to it if we do well, seeing as we have to listen to the Irish, Welsh, and Scottish laughing at us all the time. :lol:

El Gato

Villarato!
As for the bragging, we are entitled to it if we do well, seeing as we have to listen to the Irish, Welsh, and Scottish laughing at us all the time. :lol:

Indeed they do. But it's one thing everyone on the continent hates the English nation for and the one thing that fuels the constant pressure to deliver in an England shirt. I know it's cultural, but internationally the most insufferable fans are those chavvy spastics who jump at every opportunity of local glory. It's admirable and maybe yes, you are allowed to celebrate and whatnot, but nobody likes a showoff TBH. Look at the dire nature of the Germans. International bragging, at least to me, seems absent from that nation. Look at that Argie idiot, the one who is knocking around the forum throwing out "boring European teams" whenever he pleases, look how much of a clown people think he is.

I know it's this semi-rugby-driven culture of healthy banter between the UK nations, but it's something very alien to the rest of Europe and it won't help you perform against the teams from the continent.

West Saxon

Indeed they do. But it's one thing everyone on the continent hates the English nation for and the one thing that fuels the constant pressure to deliver in an England shirt. I know it's cultural, but internationally the most insufferable fans are those chavvy spastics who jump at every opportunity of local glory. It's admirable and maybe yes, you are allowed to celebrate and whatnot, but nobody likes a showoff TBH. Look at the dire nature of the Germans. International bragging, at least to me, seems absent from that nation. Look at that Argie idiot, the one who is knocking around the forum throwing out "boring European teams" whenever he pleases, look how much of a clown people think he is.

I know it's this semi-rugby-driven culture of healthy banter between the UK nations, but it's something very alien to the rest of Europe and it won't help you perform against the teams from the continent.
I don't think it's unique to the English in Europe. The Dutch, for instance, are very loud in victory, and so are the French. I also think part of it with the English is that we have so many more clubs than most countries, and so most England fans are fans of teams that have never and likely will never win anything of significance, ever - my own club team, for instance, has never won a trophy in our history, and only just avoided relegation to the 3rd tier last season. For most of us, England games are the only thing close to big success we get, so perhaps a touch of overexuberance is to be expected.

And as I speak, our neighbours and Germanic brothers Sweden go 1-0 up. :cheers:

Givenchy

Dilema tonight for alot of England fans. Loads of people want Rashford starting but instead of who? Sterling is undroppable after the season he had.

Walker should be playing RWB imo, get him in his best position and i think Loftus Cheek deserves a start in the bigger games instead of Alli or Lingard.

maybe controversial but i'd have Rashford ahead of Sterling purely for his national team performances lately, we need someone other than Kane to chip in with goals and i dont see Sterling doing that

West Saxon

maybe controversial but i'd have Rashford ahead of Sterling purely for his national team performances lately, we need someone other than Kane to chip in with goals and i dont see Sterling doing that
I want Vardy to start, he's an accomplished, consistent goalscorer and he's also very fast and suited to our counterattacking game. Rashford has potential, but he's more of a wide forward than a goalscoring central forward (when he played there for United last season when Ibrahimovic got injured, he scored like 1 goal in 15 games), and Sterling has very clever movement but is a poor finisher (Pep's team creates a lot of tap-ins for him; England... not so much).

El Gato

Villarato!
Not true. If Portugal win their group, they face Russia/Urugway in the round of 16 and Argentina in the quarter finals (supposing that Argentina will be 1st in the group). Portugal's realistic reach is quarter final.

Out of curiosity, have they ever faced each other in CR-Messi era? Would be a juuuuuuicy fixture.

gatsu

Not true. If Portugal win their group, they face Russia/Urugway in the round of 16 and Argentina in the quarter finals (supposing that Argentina will be 1st in the group). Portugal's realistic reach is quarter final.

Portugal is by far better than Argentina (that if Sampaoli keeps playing garbage no names). Argentina needs to show a lot more if not, even getting past the group stage will be complicated.

Home of Barca Fans