World Cup 2018

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's time we put in a better performance. Since Argentina we haven't been playing well.

Role of underdogs suits us better and we will be easier to motivate against England than it was the case with Denmark and Russia.
Fatigue and age could be factor for England.

BBZ8800

Tunisia, Panama, Belgium, Columbia, Sweden. England had 1 (meaningless) game against good team and they lost it. Coulmbia was without their best player. That s what i call luck.
Advancing twice through PK shows mental strenght.

I wouldn t call them clear favorites at all. Infact to me it s 50:50

Yeah, but is it for example Engalnd's fault that Argentina was an absolute crap, that Germany was a crap, that Brasil can't win against a European team, that Spain can't win against European team (or against anyone, more or less), that Portugal is a one man team, that Italy and Netherlands didn't qualify.

Similar to a Champions league.
We whine how RM is lucky, and yet we are helping them with an easy draw by getting knocked out by more or less anyone.

Sweden might be weak, but knocked out Germany.
Columbia? Probably way stronger than Argentina and similar.

It is not anyone's fault that majority of classical powerhouses played like an absolute crap and didn't even come to final knockout rounds.

Judoman

Yeah, but is it for example Engalnd's fault that Argentina was an absolute crap, that Germany was a crap, that Brasil can't win against a European team, that Spain can't win against European team (or against anyone, more or less), that Portugal is a one man team, that Italy and Netherlands didn't qualify.

Similar to a Champions league.
We whine how RM is lucky, and yet we are helping them with an easy draw by getting knocked out by more or less anyone.

Sweden might be weak, but knocked out Germany.
Columbia? Probably way stronger than Argentina and similar.

It is not anyone's fault that majority of classical powerhouses played like an absolute crap and didn't even come to final knockout rounds.

The part about luck was a response to "Croatia were lucky so far". Do you agree with that?
To me wining twice on PK has nothing to do with luck. If you want to see luck, you can see it in every single match.

JamDav1982

The part about luck was a response to "Croatia were lucky so far". Do you agree with that?
To me wining twice on PK has nothing to do with luck. If you want to see luck, you can see it in every single match.

You try to make out England were lucky for a good draw and lucky Colombia missing best player etc.

Works both ways if trying to apply that logic.

BBZ8800

I have wrote a few times how in these 50:50 matches between strong but even teams in a CL, World cup and Euros, majority of matches are decided by goals after corners, penaldos, free kicks, headers after crosses, some goals from outside of a box, Gk's mistakes... and very rarely lately by "classical" footballing goals from a nice action and a finishing with feet.

Goals from 1/4s of a World cup:
1. France: Varane, a header after a set piece
2. France: Griezmann: long shot+Gk's mistake
3. Belgium: a header after a corner
4. Belgium: De Bruyne, a counter and a goal from the edge of a box
5. Brasil: a header
6. England: a header after a corner
7. England: a header after a cross
8. Russia: long range shot
9. Croatia: Kramaric, a header
10. Croatia: a header after a corner
11. Russia: a header after a set piece

11 goals in total:
5 headers after corners/set pieces (France, Belgium, England, Croatia, Russia)
3 headers from an open play (Kramaric, Delle Ali, Renato)
3 long range shots from the outside of a box (Cheryshev, Griezmann, De Bruyne)
0 goals in Barca's style, through the middle, inside of a box, against a parked bus

Ok, the sample is small.
But guys, try to remember RM's matches in semis and finals of a CL lately:
penaldos, headers after corners, headers after crosses.
Atletico's goals:
headers after corners, headers after crosses, counters

I am not saying that possession football and attacking through the middle is dead, but everything points in the last few years that winning teams are:
teams who play counters
fast (and somewhat physical) teams
teams who can score headers after corners
teams who can score headers after crosses

Again, more or less, Barca doesn't have any of those.
To some extent, maybe this is a reason why we played:
2012: Chelsea:Barca 1:0
2013: Bayern:Barca 4:0
2014: Atletico:Barca 1:0
2016: Atletico:Barca 2:0
2017: Juventus:Barca 3:0
2018: Juventus:Barca 3:0
** Not a single goal scored

Also, Messi scored only on 1 match in the last 13 matches of CL's quarters, semis and finals in the last few years.
So, our only weapons in a CL are: pass the ball to Messi and play on the ground through the middle.
Yet, big European teams are neutralizing Messi quite easily, and then we are out of any options.

So, NOT only that we will need other attacking options besides Messi, we will also need DIFFERENT attacking options besides: passing the ball around the box till death and trying to break big European clubs through the middle with shortpasses.

That doesn't mean that we should turn into Stoke, though.
But Barca's CL failures in a CL in recent years and poor success of other possession based NT teams are pointing to some conclusions about needing to adapt some other weapons also.
Also, this stat from World cup 1/4s with 0 goals with feet from inside of a box and with 8 headers out of 11 goals is quite interesting.
My theory is that is starting to be extremely hard to score "classical" goals with feet in key CL/World cup matches.
Defenses are good and the buses are strong.
It is extremely hard to break the opponents from the middle, on the edge of a box.
And currently, there is way more room for scoring after corners and after crosses.

Again, we don't need to turn into a crossing team.
But scoring through the ground became a tough problem for all teams lately.
And it will be even harder when we won't have Messi (imagine our team passing the ball around the box and trying to break only through the middle, and NOT having Messi in the team anymore to finish those chances, ouch).

Last edited:

KiX7777

Don’t know what to predict vs. England...
We are stronger, but they will be more fresh since we played 120 minutes. That could be crucial. But it is the semifinal and anything can happen.

MVBarcaFan

I don't necessarily buy the fatigue argument against Croatia. The adrenaline of the occasion will see them through on that aspect.

TrueCule

Vrsaljko is out for the tournament according to Marca. Huge blow for Croatia. Čorluka - Vida - Lovren - Strinić is just abyssmal. England's attackers, especially Sterling are going to have a field day. Everything is falling in place for England to reach the final.

Last edited:

Hawk

English clubs are only good in England. In Europe they suck for ages. Period. No but or maybe. Stating that english players play for good clubs is overstatement. Sevilla wipes ass with them in titles in last 10y. EPL is overhyped and overrated moneypumped showtime.

But as the matter of a fact english NT players have more stamina and that could decide.

thats true of the EPL teams who have taken the europa league serious over the last decade or so - 'boro, spurs, southampton, fulham etc. not good enough.

stamina ? then its on a team to show this england side its limitation; cause i sensed a bit of a complex from the likes of colombia, sweden etc when they played england. this england team play by the percentages unlike some other sides in this tournament - with no players being shoehorned into the side, unlike previous sides.

dakt

Vrsaljko is out for the tournament according to Marca. Huge blow for Croatia. Čorluka - Vida - Lovren - Strinić is just abyssmal. England's attackers, especially Sterling are going to have a field day. Everything is falling in place for England to reach the final.

Corluka is our best defender. Vida and Lovren are doing great job so far. We'll snatch the trophy, don't worry.

Home of Barca Fans