World Cup 2018

khaled_a_d

It’s allowed for a more technical game, less pushing and holding etc. This World Cup has been a great success largely because of it. Here to stay hopefully

Wait, what? all it allowed is more defense mistake from set pieces and therefor more teams setting back and hoping for the other team to make their mistake first, if anything it is anti-technical football

When people talk badly about VAR they have to remember that there wasn't a single wrong offside call the whole tournament. How often haven't we seen these kind of mistakes become vital? These handball situations just need some more clear rules then there will be lesser doubt in the future. At some point not far from now I think we can see VAR be used to punish diving as well. In the Danish league they have introduced a video panel who has the power to re-watch games and punish players afterwards. Depending on how it's going to work I'm sure this can improve players behaviour on the field. VAR is here to stay.

Plenty of wrong offside calls was there, but referee will allow offsides to go and then if it is a goal they will call VAR. if it wasn't offside and the assistant referee said it was they won't review it.
I always said that offside rule need technology (whether it is VAR or some sort of another line technology) as it is there for good intention but with impossible possibility of high accurate decision (no human being will be able to follow three fast moving object in different places at same time),

gsgosal

Wait, what? all it allowed is more defense mistake from set pieces and therefor more teams setting back and hoping for the other team to make their mistake first, if anything it is anti-technical football

What you just described is more technical football 🤦*♂️

Yannik

The truth is that France eventually would have won either way. They let Croatia dictate the game but I'm sure France would have stepped up if they had gone behind. They played cleverly and never got themselves in a situation where they could have panicked. This is a clever way to play but when you don't cheer for the team you call it "boring football".

This. They started out nervously for the first 10-20 minutes, but from there they pretty much never lost control. They let Croatia have possesion, kept them away from goal and countered them everytime they wanted to. Varane and Umtiti neutralized Croatias attack, Mandzukic and Modric were invisible and Griezmann and Mbappé did right what they had to do right. Croatias defence looked lost, Subasic had a shocker and all in all the longer the game went, the lesser you felt Croatia could actually reach overtime, let alone win.

Yannik

despite the high scoreline, I found it wasn't a very exciting match tbh, can barely remember any chances in this game that weren't longshots. It ended 4-2 but looked like a 1-1 draw.

Devils

Woke up this morning still disgusted with that penalty decision FFS.

That Argentine ref bottled it harder than the national team.

FFS disaster.

henias

The VAR ruined the World Cup for me. In my opinion, VAR should only be used for offside goals. Even Pogba's interference with play from wasnt reviewed by VAR. Penalty calls shouldnt be reviewed by VAR because too much influence from the players and it interferes with the referee's initial decision, adds unnecessary pressure and it's really down to interpretation. If you think about it, watching the replays(especially in slow mo) really fcks up how you perceive it initially in real time, and 90% of the time they are likely to give the penalty which is ridiculous. Slow mo replays should only be used for looking for the point of contact but the decision should be based on it in real-time. Ultimately, I dont think VAR is good after all and can be counter-productive.

Devils

The VAR ruined the World Cup for me. In my opinion, VAR should only be used for offside goals. Even Pogba's interference with play from wasnt reviewed by VAR. Penalty calls shouldnt be used through VAR because too much influence from the players and it interferes with the referee's initial decision, adds unnecessary pressure and it's really down to interpretation. If you think about it, watching the replays(especially in slow mo) really fcks up how you perceive it initially in real time, and 90% of the time they are likely to give the penalty which is ridiculous. Slow mo replays should only be used for looking for the point of contact but the decision should be based on it in real-time. Ultimately, I dont think VAR is good after all and can be counter-productive.

It ruined the final for sure.

I don't get why the referee of all people is the one to make the decision on the penalty. He has to run off the field, observe a video screen that plays the replay different speeds and angles all under the pressure to hurry up and get the game back on the go.

I understand refs don't want to be undermined during the game but FFS if they call for VAR it should be another ref or the panel of refs in the VAR room to make the call.

Impossible to prove that handball was intentional or his hand was in an unnatural position. On that basis alone, you can't give the penalty.

RMU ReBorn

Thug life Putin

37171471_10216922492272483_8841014884020781056_n.jpg

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I don't doubt Qatar will be a good host, it is just that moving the WC to winter is wrong on so many levels. Ruins the experience for many fans and completely screws up the clubs.

Devils

Qatar is going to be awful.

Ain't nobody going to be celebrating the world cup in dead ass winter, the world cup has always been and always should be a summer event.

Also who the hell is going to enjoy club football being put on hold in the middle of the season for that tournament? I assume the players will be taking a month off and then get a winter break before club football resumes? So basically a two month stoppage of club football for this event to occur.

So many great places on this planet for the world cup to be hosted and FIFA awards it to a tiny nation in the middle of the goddamn scorching desert.

SMH what a farce.

Ursegor

World Champion
Did you not enjoy this tournament?

Entertainment and quality are 2 different things for me. The final was entertaining for example but an own goal from a dive freekick, a penalty where the ref needed 25 replays to make a decision, the Lloris brainfart. Comedy final.

Home of Barca Fans