Gerard Lopez

Jallo

This guy is a genius, Fali in the midfield to insure the keeps moving and put Aleña in good situations. An offensive strategy based on Aleña dribbling through 4 players at a time what could go wrong. Cardona at RW to insure maximum chance creation and to stretch the field. A ghost at the nine who is ineffective in the build up and the scoring.

Gerard “the G is for Genius” Lopez just keeps proving over and over, and over again why a coherent strategy for any team is overrated. 3 years coaching this team and still hasn’t developed a philosophy.

Galning

I've only watched 2nd half yesterday and don't think we were really that bad.

I think people are overrating this squad. Sure, we have some individual talents and should do better as a team but most of our players are young and/or inexperienced at Segunda level. I'm not a fan of Gerard but I don't think it's fair to only blame him for our struggles. Segunda is a tough and competitive league. Just look at the table, we are only 8 points behind 5th placed Osasuna. You win two consecutive games and you can get into promotion playoff, you lose two and you are in relegation battle. It's like this almost every year in Segunda for 70-80% of the teams and every team goes through a bad period during the season. We are currently in one but I believe we'll find our way out soon. Gerard also had to deal with injuries of key players like Palencia, Cucu and RDG and now that all of them are back I think we'll improve in second half of the season.

He was given one of the most expensive Segunda squads, lol. What you say is true, but the overall play of the team is very poor and not just their league position. Tell me something Lopez is good at. Player development? Grinding the results? Neither. Well if you can't improve the individual players OR get the results, then what on earth are you doing as a football manager.
Won't hold my breath on change though, we've all seen what has happened to the entire structure of both the professional and youth football clubs since Rosell & Bartomeu are in charge. They haven't got a clue, so we are stuck with Lopez.

And Lopez will be in contentions for jobs in La Liga? Why is he still at Barça B then? His love for the club?

messi1995

Another poor performance by Lopez although we won today. He needs to be sacked, especially when he prefer to sub out Aleña for a defender only to park the bus. We don't play Mourinho football. But some people will tell me that Lopez is developing youth players like Aleña. If thats right, then why is he subbing out Aleña and parking the bus? Yes to get results. Will rather see Barca B loose games, but still play well and also developing players rather than win games by parking the bus. Poor coach and he will never succeed as a manager with this L mentality.

Messi983

He was given one of the most expensive Segunda squads, lol. What you say is true, but the overall play of the team is very poor and not just their league position. Tell me something Lopez is good at. Player development? Grinding the results? Neither. Well if you can't improve the individual players OR get the results, then what on earth are you doing as a football manager.

True but at the same time we are also the second youngest team in the league (only Sevilla Atletico are younger and they are doing even worse). Our average age is 21.7 years and all other teams are at least 4 years older in average. We have also changed half of the team and as said before we had injuries to key players (Cucu, Palencia, RDG). As said I'm not Gerard's fan and wouldn't mind him gone, I'm just saying it's not only his fault we're doing bad. Young and newly composed teams usually need more time and I'm sure we'll do better in second half of the season even if Gerard stays which I think he will.

And Lopez will be in contentions for jobs in La Liga? Why is he still at Barça B then? His love for the club?

[MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION] said that not me. But to be fair most of the fans were also critical to Eusebio especially in his last season here and he's doing very well for Sociedad where he has more experienced squad that has played together for some time (instead of changing at least half of the team every season and playing in majority with 18-22 years old kids). And he has also given a chance to their best youngsters like Oyarzabal (he made his debut under Moyes but there is no doubt he developed a lot under Eusebio), Odriozola, Zubeldia, Rodrigues...

So I won't say that Gerard couldn't do good in La Liga if he finds the right club that will fit him. Finding that right fit is usually the most important for coaches. Great coaches will do (at least) good everywhere they'll go, bad coaches will fail almost everywhere but average coaches will have at least some kind of success in some clubs and fail in others.

Galning

True but at the same time we are also the second youngest team in the league (only Sevilla Atletico are younger and they are doing even worse). Our average age is 21.7 years and all other teams are at least 4 years older in average. We have also changed half of the team and as said before we had injuries to key players (Cucu, Palencia, RDG). As said I'm not Gerard's fan and wouldn't mind him gone, I'm just saying it's not only his fault we're doing bad. Young and newly composed teams usually need more time and I'm sure we'll do better in second half of the season even if Gerard stays which I think he will.

[MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION] said that not me. But to be fair most of the fans were also critical to Eusebio especially in his last season here and he's doing very well for Sociedad where he has more experienced squad that has played together for some time (instead of changing at least half of the team every season and playing in majority with 18-22 years old kids). And he has also given a chance to their best youngsters like Oyarzabal (he made his debut under Moyes but there is no doubt he developed a lot under Eusebio), Odriozola, Zubeldia, Rodrigues...

So I won't say that Gerard couldn't do good in La Liga if he finds the right club that will fit him. Finding that right fit is usually the most important for coaches. Great coaches will do (at least) good everywhere they'll go, bad coaches will fail almost everywhere but average coaches will have at least some kind of success in some clubs and fail in others.

I'm also not saying that it's only his fault. He is the manager though, and thus responsible.

And I know you didn't say that.
That's besides the point as well, just because he COULD doesn't mean he will or would.. it's just pure speculation. Trust me if a team in La Liga offered him a job he would've been out of here already. But could he do it, sure why not. As you said, look at Eusebio, who was also bad at Barça B.

messi1995

He so shit. I won't blame him for losing against Cadiz yesterday, there is nothing shame about that but his team doesn't play well. And he play Lozano over a promising striker like Abel ruiz. This shows that he only cares about the results and not about development of youth players. Time to sack Lopez. I respect him for what he has done but its time to leave now.

Last edited:

Jallo

I cannot remember or think of a B team coach that needs this many outside signings. This is the stage in his career where he has to show tactical intelligence and ability to maximize his players abilities. The solution for this team seems to be signings all the time. A team RDG, Aleña, Arnaiz, Choco and Cucurella should not have this much trouble creating goal scoring chances.

Jallo

Another stinker from his team they lack even the tiniest of team spirit. Cannot create chances to help themselves.

messi1995

Agree with Jallo. Gerard Lopez is a poor coach with zero ideas. It's obvious that he's desperate to get results, but still fails. Signing more players won't help him when the real problem is him. Phil foden and Brahim diaz are playing for City against Leicester right now while Abel Ruiz and sergio Gomez struggles to get B team minutes. Have not improved any youth players since he arrived and it's disgusting because we have the best academy in the world. Do you know how good Aleña is? Him playing well in Lopez shit system tells you everything.

Jallo

Agree with Jallo. Gerard Lopez is a poor coach with zero ideas. It's obvious that he's desperate to get results, but still fails. Signing more players won't help him when the real problem is him. Phil foden and Brahim diaz are playing for City against Leicester right now while Abel Ruiz and sergio Gomez struggles to get B team minutes. Have not improved any youth players since he arrived and it's disgusting because we have the best academy in the world. Do you know how good Aleña is? Him playing well in Lopez shit system tells you everything.
He is going to ruin Aleña career given enough time. We need Aleña to develop into a CM yet he constantly plays him as a RW/CAM with no defensive responsibility, I don’t think his defending is improving as a result. Aleña has said he needs to defend better. This isn’t happening right now he is still playing like he did last year and the before, dribbling through everyone to create chances.

I don’t understand why A team that lacks chance creation hasn’t called up Gomez, he could help ease the burden placed on Aleña. Alex Collado another playmaker having a good season, who is worth of consideration.

One thing is clear Lopez needs to go, for the sake of the kids.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Honestly, Eusebio would do much better with this squad.

Looks like the club will try to sign more players to fix this when it could pose more problems.

Messi983

Let's say Gerard will go (not now but in a month or two if things won't get better), who would you like to replace him?

Home of Barca Fans