Clement Lenglet (loaned to Aston Villa)

Havesaks

I specifically said even before the United rumors, which was an entire season before his injury.

Don't accuse me of being a troll just because you can't read.

But isn't it you who can't read if you accuse me for accusing you for a troll? A sincere question can never be accusation. I think we had the topic of semantics already back when, you yourself accused Gomes for saying he is ashamed to be a Barca-player, twisting his word and meaning.

But i take you are sincere. So you are saying Lenglet is once again playing better than Umtiti was at his peak (=the time before the United rumors). But yes, I maybe should have given your post more careful thought, not that i didnt read it as you accused me for, I just didn't know what you meant by your poor chosen words, because you could also have referred to the United rumors from this season, meaning Lenglet was better even before the rumors sending Umiti to United this season. You may claim that this assumption would be stupid, but it really just couldn't cross my mind that someone would suggest Lenglet is playing better than peak-Umiti. Peak Umiti who was our second or third best performing player ahead of Pique, highly rated by many clubs, and not just performing in terms of football skills, but also showed quality in leadership, a quality Lenglet hasn't yet shown any sign of. You do understand that Lenglet performs well because Pique is organizing and leading our defensive line? And that Barca depends on technical, ball-playing CB that can raid the ball through the lines by runs and ground-played passes. Qualities Pique always had and a role he right now is occupying, de Ligt hasn't, and Lenglet neither. In fact de Ligt and Lenget are very much alike, physical strong defenders with good anticipation and great high long passes, and ok short passes, a combination that maybe won't cut it here because we want to play from the back. IIRC you yourself are critic of Valverdes playing style; against losing possession, losing technical aesthetics. But in favor of our more traditional style, is this correct? Well I hate to break it to you, but Umtiti is the kind of player who exactly stands for that kind of football in terms of his profile, the closet you can get to a Pique successor. Not to speak of his leadership qualities, which he showcased from the very start - and Lenglet hasn't yet shown any? Has he actually ever opened his mouth on the pitch yet? He isn't vocal, and when he should have taken control over our defense last match as the current starter in the back line when paired with Umtiti, he did nothing.

Lenglet plays wonderful, and I myself am a big fan of his, but Im also aware that his ass is covered by Pique, so he can focus on other duties: anticipation, tackling, easy passes, filling a gab. And he does that really well, indeed. But as before claimed, there are some serious concerns pairing Lenglet and de Ligt, when Umiti has all the qualities and level and leadership you need to be a real great CB in Barca.

Last edited:

God Serena

But isn't it you who can't read if you accuse me for accusing you for a troll? A sincere question can never be accusation. I think we had the topic of semantics already back when, you yourself accused Gomes for saying he is ashamed to be a Barca-player, twisting his word and meaning.

But i take you are sincere. So you are saying Lenglet is once again playing better than Umtiti was at his peak (=the time before the United rumors). But yes, I maybe should have given your post more careful thought, not that i didnt read it as you accused me for, I just didn't know what you meant by your poor chosen words, because you could also have referred to the United rumors from this season, meaning Lenglet was better even before the rumors sending Umiti to United this season. You may claim that this assumption would be stupid, but it really just couldn't cross my mind that someone would suggest Lenglet is playing better than peak-Umiti. Peak Umiti who was our second or third best performing player ahead of Pique, highly rated by many clubs, and not just performing in terms of football skills, but also showed quality in leadership, a quality Lenglet hasn't yet shown any sign of. You do understand that Lenglet performs well because Pique is organizing and leading our defensive line? And that Barca depends on technical, ball-playing CB that can raid the ball through the lines by runs and ground-played passes. Qualities Pique always had and a role he right now is occupying, de Ligt hasn't, and Lenglet neither. In fact de Ligt and Lenget are very much alike, physical strong defenders with good anticipation and great high long passes, and ok short passes, a combination that maybe won't cut it here because we want to play from the back. IIRC you yourself are critic of Valverdes playing style; against losing possession, losing technical aesthetics. But in favor of our more traditional style, is this correct? Well I hate to break it to you, but Umtiti is the kind of player who exactly stands for that kind of football in terms of his profile, the closet you can get to a Pique successor. Not to speak of his leadership qualities, which he showcased from the very start - and Lenglet hasn't yet shown any? Has he actually ever opened his mouth on the pitch yet? He isn't vocal, and when he should have taken control over our defense last match as the current starter in the back line when paired with Umtiti, he did nothing.

Lenglet plays wonderful, and I myself am a big fan of his, but Im also aware that his ass is covered by Pique, so he can focus on other duties: anticipation, tackling, easy passes, filling a gab. And he does that really well, indeed. But as before claimed, there are some serious concerns pairing Lenglet and de Ligt, when Umiti has all the qualities and level and leadership you need to be a real great CB in Barca.

I don't care about having a ball playing CB. Their primary role is to defend. Lenglet has been more consistently the better defender and his last ditch tackles have been on a level Umtiti hasn't shown. I don't see any purpose in having a CB who plays the ball well, it very rarely provides the team anything going forward. It's nice to have if our starter happens to play that way, but it's no big loss if they don't. I would have this Lenglet start over prime Umtiti any day of the week, especially next to Pique. As solid as Umtiti was, I don't think his forward runs or passing are necessary to the forward progress of this team.

Joan

Good match. Fully trust him paired with Pique. Felt lots of his long balls didn't meet the target, but seems to have 8/11.

Arizona Scott

If we can get an excellent price for Umtiti I am fully supportive of getting De Ligt and moving forward with Lenglet and him long term. (and ask Pique to play another 2 years and by that time we will know if Todibo or another is our quality 3rd CB moving forward)

khaled_a_d

If we can get an excellent price for Umtiti I am fully supportive of getting De Ligt and moving forward with Lenglet and him long term. (and ask Pique to play another 2 years and by that time we will know if Todibo or another is our quality 3rd CB moving forward)

I still believe we need someone with Pace in the 2 CB pairing, Rashford could have punished us in both legs if he was a better player. Players like VVD, Varane,Umtiti, Mascherano,Puyol when they are on their form help a lot in that regard

God Serena

I still believe we need someone with Pace in the 2 CB pairing, Rashford could have punished us in both legs if he was a better player. Players like VVD, Varane,Umtiti, Mascherano,Puyol when they are on their form help a lot in that regard

How fast is de Jong? I don't personally see any of that speed we once saw from Umtiti and no matter what the excuse is, we can't really count on him anymore.

xXKonan

I think Todibo could actually be the answer to that question if we are thinking about Athletic CBs.

He's 6'3 but he seems really Athletic and his physique is really good for his age. While there are still unknowns about him as he didn't play a lot on the top level, but from what little we have seen so far he probably compliments someone like De Ligt.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

I said this in the chat yesterday...

Don't know if this is because of Lenglet or not, but I think Pique never performed so good as he does in the 2nd part of this season with Umtiti next to him, regardless of Umtiti's form.

VN10

Overrated player.

Good for us, but unlucky for our French homeboy(s), is that we will have a dude called De Ligt bossing around in our defence next season(s).

serghei

De Ligt - Lenglet would be an amazing partnership. And Pique - Todibo would rock too.

Sign De Lift and our defense is sorted for a lot of years.

Home of Barca Fans