Clement Lenglet (loaned to Aston Villa)

Joan

Very solid defender, glad we bought him. I still think that Umtiti is more talented and has more character.

Umtiti befofe injuries was arguably the best defender in the world. Also think he's more talented.. but Lenglet is calm, intelligent, willing to learn and everything but soft (mentality wise). That's the character I like better.

EdmondDantes

I like that he has now started to venture with the ball forward, driving past players with confidence. He'll be a complete defender soon.

krakdol

Love this player. Could be one of the main forces in the locker-room a few years down the line.

Couldn't give a shit he isn't called up for France. He's a couple of levels above that Kimpembe dude.

As a French fan, Deschamps's choices are highly irritating. Lenglet is clearly better than "one blunder per game" Kimpembe but he can't get called. We have to suffer terrible choices for our bench (Kimpembe, Kurzawa, Zouma, Rami, Sakho, Sissoko, Sidibé...) when tons of clearly better options exist (Lenglet, Ferland Mendy, Laporte, Benzema, Aouar...). Giroud and Matuidi will start until they're 45. Giroud doesn't even play at Chelsea ffs. I don't know how we'll win the UEFA Euro Championship this way.

Sure he won the World Cup but he definitely value friendship and social values too much compared to real abilities. The National Team should be about the best players in the country, not the most sociable.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
Getting some well deserved rest. Could have gotten an extra confidence boost by playing for France, but I guess he'll be fine and maybe even more motivated now.

malvolio

As a French fan, Deschamps's choices are highly irritating. Lenglet is clearly better than "one blunder per game" Kimpembe but he can't get called. We have to suffer terrible choices for our bench (Kimpembe, Kurzawa, Zouma, Rami, Sakho, Sissoko, Sidibé...) when tons of clearly better options exist (Lenglet, Ferland Mendy, Laporte, Benzema, Aouar...). Giroud and Matuidi will start until they're 45. Giroud doesn't even play at Chelsea ffs. I don't know how we'll win the UEFA Euro Championship this way.

Sure he won the World Cup but he definitely value friendship and social values too much compared to real abilities. The National Team should be about the best players in the country, not the most sociable.

going a bit OT here, but actually at NT level social skills and group unity are more important than individual value or sporting form. as an NT coach you don't have the luxury of calling up players based purely on form every time. it is better to have a good understanding between individuals so that they pull in the same direction when you want them to.

france is not the first NT, or the last, that does this.

gregorrin10

Even though I still like Umtiti better, you just can't deny Lenglet's brilliance. What a defensive giant. He's been massive for us, he's even coming right up there to Arthur in terms of being our best and most important new player this season. If you had said to me last summer that Umtiti is gonna be out injured for the whole next season, I would've started to kiss any trophies goodbye, but now it's like Umtiti is not even needed, even though I still hope we keep him too.

Home of Barca Fans