Lliga | Round 12: Leganes CD - FC Barcelona 0-3

JedBanker

My biggest problem with Valverde is not so much the football that we play (ive accepted that we will have to grind out results). But rather that we are almost a third of the way through the league and i dont think he knows his starting 11 yet nor the formation. It is very abnormal to be this far through the season and not how we are going to line up before each match. Furthermore when Dembele returns how is he going to slot into the team? Because there is no chance in hell a 180 million Euro player will be sitting bench whether he fits Valverde's system or not. Hopefully Valverde figures it out soon because it will spell trouble later down the line.

BarçaBarça

My biggest problem with Valverde is not so much the football that we play (ive accepted that we will have to grind out results). But rather that we are almost a third of the way through the league and i dont think he knows his starting 11 yet nor the formation. It is very abnormal to be this far through the season and not how we are going to line up before each match. Furthermore when Dembele returns how is he going to slot into the team? Because there is no chance in hell a 180 million Euro player will be sitting bench whether he fits Valverde's system or not. Hopefully Valverde figures it out soon because it will spell trouble later down the line.

My take on it:
Valverde rotates so he can figure out how to shape the squad during January and the summer window. Players are able to play with more ease, when injuries come, like right now, and he gets a lot more knowledge about each player.

His ideal tactic must be 4-2-3-1, with Iniesta on the left, deulofeu (dembele when he is fit) on the right, messi central and suarez up front. Busquets and either Rakitic or Roberto in the double pivot (or Mascherano for more defensive setups). Right now Dembele is injured and Iniesta is old, so he prefers dembele on the right, Coutinho on the left and Griezmann to pressure Suarez for a starting spot (or play left or right due to injuries/suspensions). I feel that is the goal, but obviously the sporting department didn't fulfill his wishes of Coutinho in the summer, and Dembele is injured, and therefore we don't have a clear starting-11 right now.

M

MessiCam

My take on it:
Valverde rotates so he can figure out how to shape the squad during January and the summer window. Players are able to play with more ease, when injuries come, like right now, and he gets a lot more knowledge about each player.

His ideal tactic must be 4-2-3-1, with Iniesta on the left, deulofeu (dembele when he is fit) on the right, messi central and suarez up front. Busquets and either Rakitic or Roberto in the double pivot (or Mascherano for more defensive setups). Right now Dembele is injured and Iniesta is old, so he prefers dembele on the right, Coutinho on the left and Griezmann to pressure Suarez for a starting spot (or play left or right due to injuries/suspensions). I feel that is the goal, but obviously the sporting department didn't fulfill his wishes of Coutinho in the summer, and Dembele is injured, and therefore we don't have a clear starting-11 right now.

You really think Griezmann comes without guaranteed playing time? We're in agreement on the 4-2-3-1 though but I'm not so sure how I feel about that because it will be taking principles built over the last 30 years and throwing it in the trash even though the in game dynamics are not all that dissimilar to a 4-3-3 just with a central midfielder less. I like the idea of using a 4-2-3-1 as a surprise tactic though.

khaled_a_d

MATS
Alba Pique Umtiti
Busquets Rakitic Iniesta
Messi & Suarez
Those are clear 9 starters out of 11, with Roberto & Semedo rotating (which is normal in any team when you have 2 players very good and different at one position) and the other one will be for Dembele, but he is injured
The formation depends almost solely on the change of the player playing in place of Dembele. Whether it is basically a 4-3-3 with Suarez a pseudo-LW and Gerard/Denis/Vidal on the wing or 442 with Gomes playing.

BarçaBarça

You really think Griezmann comes without guaranteed playing time? We're in agreement on the 4-2-3-1 though but I'm not so sure how I feel about that because it will be taking principles built over the last 30 years and throwing it in the trash even though the in game dynamics are not all that dissimilar to a 4-3-3 just with a central midfielder less. I like the idea of using a 4-2-3-1 as a surprise tactic though.

Griezmann would be guaranteed to start, just not in CF-position, might be on the "wings" sometimes, and I think he could live with that.
Where do you count Messi in a 4-3-3? It is difficult to talk numbers when the tactic role for the best player in the team is fluid - but the starting point would be something like the number 10 position, and he would benefit from Coutinho or Griezmann and Dembele on the sides, all players who should also work more defensively than Messi to make him fully free (and allow us to play with only two defensive-minded midfielders in Busquets and Rakitic/Roberto).

M

MessiCam

Griezmann would be guaranteed to start, just not in CF-position, might be on the "wings" sometimes, and I think he could live with that.
Where do you count Messi in a 4-3-3? It is difficult to talk numbers when the tactic role for the best player in the team is fluid - but the starting point would be something like the number 10 position, and he would benefit from Coutinho or Griezmann and Dembele on the sides, all players who should also work more defensively than Messi to make him fully free (and allow us to play with only two defensive-minded midfielders in Busquets and Rakitic/Roberto).
4-3-3 with Messi as False 9, bring in someone capable of playing as an inside forward or go for an out and out winger. Dembélé plays on the wing opposite to the player brought it. Suárez gets moved on or sits bench.

4-2-3-1 will be difficult to implement with both Suárez and Messi in any event. They’re not compatible when both playing through the centre.

This is all dependent on Messi staying.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
This international break seems to last forever and this is from me who got to watch my country in decisive qualifiers.

I miss Barca. I miss Messi.

Neeraj

This international break seems to last forever and this is from me who got to watch my country in decisive qualifiers.

I miss Barca. I miss Messi.

I hate international breaks so much. I do NOT care about international football, and would be the happiest person ever if there was no World Cup or Euros. I have no interest in them :p

I hate international breaks so much. I do NOT care about international football, and would be the happiest person ever if there was no World Cup or Euros. I have no interest in them :p

The major international tournaments are especially overrated, most people know friendlies and qualifiers to a lesser extent are snooze fests, but people hype up these tournaments to be these epic, captivating, enthralling clashes, but they're anything but. Even the biggest of games, with the biggest of stars, countries and rivalries more often than not fail to live up to their hype and full potential. There are usually some great games in the group stages, but once the knockout rounds start it's like every team is instructed to play this slow, timid, defensive brand of football. I think the root cause of this is the immense pressure the NTs face when close to success, so they just clench their butt cheeks, stop playing their natural game and look not to lose rather than win, that's also why we so many matches go to shootouts and extra time.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Well we cheer for Barca so we are spoiled.

Your regular fan from some small town goes to 3rd division matches and relishes to see his NT and enjoy some great football.

khaled_a_d

tbf international football has been going downhill during past decades, it has been very defensive and tactical with fewer great teams. And considering that unlike it was couple of decades ago when many football fans around the globe would only be able to watch football super stars, nowadays everyone watches Liga,EPL CL etc

PhilS

Ter Stegen
Dembele Digne Vermailen Alba
Busquets
Rak Paulinho
Paco Messi Suarez

Until Masch heals, Vermailen needs to play against the weaker opponents, until he gets hurt. Let's see Digne at CB, give him some experience against weaker opponents as soon as possible. He needs to be ready to start at CB in some big games, after Verm gets hurt and Pique/Umtiti get suspended.

Home of Barca Fans