Barcelona as a symbol of Catalonian Independence in the Francoist Years

Hamez

Hello everyone. I'm a final year History student currently writing my thesis and the plan is to focus it on FC Barcelona and Catalonian Independence from 1939-75, i.e. during the Franco regime.

Initially when researching the topic of football under Franco more broadly I found that much of the literature was centred on how the Franco regime used football to promote Spain abroad; expose the virtues of the state; and as a tool of public pacification. Whilst a little observed how football was used, particularly by fans of the club as a form of popular protest, it was often judged that the significance of this was minimal.

This is mostly because most historians approach the period questioning how and why the Franco dictatorship lasted so long, searching for reasons why (his use of football being one of them). However for my thesis I'm seeking to frame the question in a different way, and explore how and why Catalonian independence managed to survive, and eventually flourish so long- against a regime hell bent on oppressing it- and am hoping to explore this through an investigation into the relationship between FC Barcelona and Catalonian independence during this time.

Would anybody be able to point me in the direction of any particular texts, people, or sources that would be useful to me in this regard? I'm a fluent Spanish speaker so either English or Spanish is okay.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. I myself am a Crystal Palace fan (another team that plays in red and blue :cool: ) but my first football shirt was a Barcelona one with Rivaldo on the back. To now be researching the club as part of my thesis is really exciting for me and I just hope that I can do the topic justice.

Thanks guys :)

Logner1981

been wondering how it ended up OP? how are you doing now? i've heard about Barcelona being as a symbol of Catalonian Independence in the Francoist Years by the way.

Home of Barca Fans