Valverde: "You have to suffer at San Mames"

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Barca coach Ernesto Valverde was helped by Lionel Messi to return with 3 points from his former home, San Mames.

950564.jpg

Valverde:

"I’ve visited in the past, but it was very different this time. It’s the same as when we moved into the new stadium four years ago. Playing against these fans shows.

“You have to suffer in order to win here. The law of San Mames says so. We were better in the first half.

“We posed them problems through the middle, but Aduriz was also one-on-one with Marc [Andre ter Stegen] after a bad offside trap.

“Only Semedo for Andre Gomes? It was the right thing for our strategy. When you don’t see things clearly, it’s better to stay still."

“Athletic pressed a lot in the second half. We lost the ball several times and, with Athletic regularly prowling our area, they had chances. We needed a bit more rhythm."

“Messi? We’re lucky to have a player who decides matches. Gomes? He’s a player who’s very good in defence and attack."

“We have to help him in this regard. He can be a starter perfectly well, and the idea is to reinforce this."

“All kinds of news have come out this past week, but we’re focused on football. We haven’t gone wrong yet and we’ll keep going like this."

“Iniesta’s injury? He has a small knock and I’m not sure if he’ll play against Olympiakos.”

Neymessi

“Only Semedo for Andre Gomes? It was the right thing for our strategy. When you don’t see things clearly, it’s better to stay still."

Thats just amazing thinking :worthy:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone told us we'd draw at Wanda and win at San Mames with only one goal conceded in both games, I think we'd take it with both hands. I want to see the positives.

If Valverde had normal Pique, Rakitic and Suarez, fit Dembele... I think a lot of our problems would look smaller.

Besides, trophies aren't won in October, who knows how we'll look in 5-6 months.

Barca in winter 2014 and spring 2015. Real in 2015, and then in 2016. Remember how those teams made a 180.

michelco

A win at San Mames is always good, no matter how one gets it.

However, I'm the only one disturbed by these quotes?

Gomes? He’s a player who’s very good in defence and attack."

“We have to help him in this regard. He can be a starter perfectly well, and the idea is to reinforce this"

Home of Barca Fans