Lliga | Round 10: Athletic Bilbao - FC Barcelona 0-2

LeeRomeno

Don't agree with guys being overly negative but I also don't agree that results matter and that our style is irrelevant.

Didn't we all fall in love with Barca because of beautiful football? Laudrup, Stoichkov, Ronaldo, Guardiola, Rivaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Messi... magic?

I can guarantee you, that massive majority of fans have fallen in love with Barca WINNING (while playing beautiful football of course, i dont really think we have won any major trophies playing boring).

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't get why some people get so upset seeing others with different opinion. I've seen many Barca fans and regular football followers that think Barca hasn't been playing good football and all the while I cherish reading other opinions that look for silver linings.

Corny thing to say is; truth is always in the middle. I never agreed with that but there are certainly many shades of grey here.

barcafan161

Its terrible to say this but i think Barca needs a wake up call against a top team. So far Valverde has continued with this trash 4-4-2 line up and with playing trash because it has worked thanks to messi and other luck (like our numerous own goals, but a time will come when we are exposed and I just hope that it happens early enough so something can be done to fix out team.

This is the problem for the top teams it will be a while until a top team will face us. We faced Juventus though who we beat easily

JerseyAddict

After RM defeat we can't complain.
Thing is we have results with the shit squad... Suarez, Rakitić, Pique in disastrous form. Arda, Gomes, Paco, and likes on the bench or squad or eating paycheck.
Dembele injured.

So yes the games are bad, but we are grinding and hoping to arrive unscratched to January. Transfer and make some chemistry. We can improve and make it good again, beauty wise.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
After RM defeat we can't complain.
Thing is we have results with the shit squad... Suarez, Rakitić, Pique in disastrous form. Arda, Gomes, Paco, and likes on the bench or squad or eating paycheck.
Dembele injured.

So yes the games are bad, but we are grinding and hoping to arrive unscratched to January. Transfer and make some chemistry. We can improve and make it good again, beauty wise.

Fully agree. Mind you, January won't be easy either with Copa heating up and we'll have Sociedad and Betis both away.

Fully agree. Mind you, January won't be easy either with Copa heating up and we'll have Sociedad and Betis both away.

I have zero interest in winning the Copa for the 4th time in a row. The sooner we are eliminated from that tournament the better, all it will do is wear our team out and with the thin squad we currently have that would spell disaster.

We can't be pouring our hearts and souls into a tournament that is just as long as the Champions League (the ties should really only have one leg, two are unnecessary), but not remotely as prestigious. I'd rather we just focus on staying fresh, healthy, locking the league down and putting the rest of our efforts into the CL.

Killing ourselves in the middle of the season just before the most important stretch of the year (CL knockout stages and final games of La Liga) for yet another Copa does not interest me one bit. Valverde should just let the Copa be a tournament for bench/rotation players and B team players.

M

MessiCam

Not January that I'm concerned about...

vs Sevilla - A difficult game but one we should win. They're not letting in many goals.
@ Leganes - After international break... Hopefully it's kind to us.
@ Juventus - If Juventus drop points against Sporting and we win at a canter then I'd rest a few key players here because 1st in group would be just about stitched up.
@ Valencia - Very difficult game...
vs Celta - Should be winning this one.
vs Sporting - Results dependent (Rest key players).
@ Villarreal - They've been good at home. Going to be a difficult game.
vs Deportivo - Should be winning this one.
@ Madrid - The big one.

If we get through these games unscathed with no further injuries to key players then I'd be as happy as a pig in sh!t.

M

MessiCam

I have zero interest in winning the Copa for the 4th time in a row. The sooner we are eliminated from that tournament the better, all it will do is wear our team out and with the thin squad we currently have that would spell disaster.

We can't be pouring our hearts and souls into a tournament that is just as long as the Champions League (the ties should really only have one leg, two are unnecessary), but not remotely as prestigious. I'd rather we just focus on staying fresh, healthy, locking the league down and putting the rest of our efforts into the CL.

Killing ourselves in the middle of the season just before the most important stretch of the year (CL knockout stages and final games of La Liga) for yet another Copa does not interest me one bit. Valverde should just let the Copa be a tournament for bench/rotation players and B team players.

The Copa is really not that hard on the players. Pretty big gaps between matches...

The Copa is really not that hard on the players. Pretty big gaps between matches...

What gap? After the round of 32, there are matches every midweek starting in January and continuing until the CL starts up in the middle of February. If we qualify for the final again that means we will have played 6 consecutive midweek matches. I'd rather we not play those extra games and burn ourselves out.

Take a look at our Copa fixtures from the R16 onward from last year and look at the dates on the left side of the picture:

zXHBROc.png

Looks pretty congested to me...

JerseyAddict

I was much more referring to Villareal and Real away games. Travelling to Madrid. I always see 1st El Classico as some "breaking point"... if we win that is +3 to us and -3 to them. It is 6 pts gap in some point of view. Add that to this +8 it is fucking +11 with one Classico less to play. AWAY Classico on top of that.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Not January that I'm concerned about...

vs Sevilla - A difficult game but one we should win. They're not letting in many goals.
@ Leganes - After international break... Hopefully it's kind to us.
@ Juventus - If Juventus drop points against Sporting and we win at a canter then I'd rest a few key players here because 1st in group would be just about stitched up.
@ Valencia - Very difficult game...
vs Celta - Should be winning this one.
vs Sporting - Results dependent (Rest key players).
@ Villarreal - They've been good at home. Going to be a difficult game.
vs Deportivo - Should be winning this one.
@ Madrid - The big one.

If we get through these games unscathed with no further injuries to key players then I'd be as happy as a pig in sh!t.

Oh, we are definitely dropping points somewhere along the line. But who claims Madrid won't drop some more points as well?
You are right that Valencia and Madrid away are toughest away matches remaining and they are coming before the end of the year. I was merely noting that January won't be easy either.

Interesting months coming ahead :)

Home of Barca Fans