Copa: FC Barcelona - Murcia 8-0 agg.

M

MessiCam

Copa against Murcia, 8:0 aggregate.

I am not sure if you are serious.

Hmmm... Another cop out from you.

It’s the way they played. The pressing, the passing, the one-twos, the use of the wings, the finishing. Something that your world class Suárez, Rakitic and Gomes have been unable to display even once, even against bottom of the log La Liga teams.

They were fanatastic, well apart from Deulofeu, and have definitely given Valverde something to think about. They need more playing time.

henias

Must be alone here but wasn't that impressed. Expected more from Alena and Denis in particular. Busquets didn't have much to show playing as DM against such defensive team.

I did like Arnaiz though. Kid has spark and we could definitely use him more.

Lol they definitely played better and much more fluidly than the senior team's midfield. Combinations of 1-2s, vision, control, dribbles, something I havent seen since the first game of La Liga this year.

BBZ8800

Hmmm... Another cop out from you.

It’s the way they played. The pressing, the passing, the one-twos, the use of the wings, the finishing. Something that your world class Suárez, Rakitic and Gomes have been unable to display even once, even against bottom of the log La Liga teams.

They were fanatastic, well apart from Deulofeu, and have definitely given Valverde something to think about. They need more playing time.

Lol they definitely played better and much more fluidly than the senior team's midfield. Combinations of 1-2s, vision, control, dribbles, something I havent seen since the first game of La Liga this year.

You DO know that a huge part of how YOUR team will play is based on a strength of an opponent and how good an opponent presses, defends, attacks etc?
So, the same team won't play as equally as good against a 3rd div team, La liga team and against Bayern/Chelsea.

Yesterday's match was like a preseason's friendly.
Aka matches were Halilovic, Samper and Bartra played like Messi, Xavi and Puyol on majority of occassions.

M

MessiCam

You DO know that a huge part of how YOUR team will play is based on a strength of an opponent and how good an opponent presses, defends, attacks etc?
So, the same team won't play as equally as good against a 3rd div team, La liga team and against Bayern/Chelsea.

Aka matches were Halilovic, Samper and Bartra played like Messi, Xavi and Puyol on majority of occassions.

We're very aware of that, don't worry... But Alaves, Las Palmas and Malaga are poor sides and yet your Rakitic, Suarez and Gomes types haven't been able to impose themselves on said opposition.

More than that it's just the way they went about their business against a team that defended with a deep block. Most entertaining Barca has been this whole campaign.

henias

Of course I know what opponents they are playing against. But regardless of their oppositions, what remained clear is their understanding with one another and their distribution of the ball. They know how to effectively utilise the wings, overlap one another and not just overcrowd the middle park. Great off the ball movement, awareness, one-twos, vision. It's a sight refreshing to see after watching countless senior games that's often so static and uninspiring.

Messi983

For those that were impressed with how we played yesterday, let's hope that EV will play the same team (maybe Arnaiz in for Deulofeu) next week against Sporting and if they'll play the same way against CL caliber team that is still playing for promotion and will give their best then we can have something to talk about.

Until then, it was just a good 2nd half (1st half wasn't really good) against a 3rd division team that was also tired in 2nd half. After what happened with other La Liga teams (even RM struggled vs Fuenlabrada with their "great midfield talents that we should buy them all") against lower division opponents I take nothing for granted so I'll say that kids did their job like it was expected from them and I've enjoyed 2nd half (expect for Deulofeu failing over and over again) but clearly nothing impressive and we shouldn't make any conclussions based on this game.

M

MessiCam

For those that were impressed with how we played yesterday, let's hope that EV will play the same team (maybe Arnaiz in for Deulofeu) next week against Sporting and if they'll play the same way against CL caliber team that is still playing for promotion and will give their best then we can have something to talk about.

Until then, it was just a good 2nd half (1st half wasn't really good) against a 3rd division team that was also tired in 2nd half. After what happened with other La Liga teams (even RM struggled vs Fuenlabrada with their "great midfield talents that we should buy them all") against lower division opponents I take nothing for granted so I'll say that kids did their job like it was expected from them and I've enjoyed 2nd half (expect for Deulofeu failing over and over again) but clearly nothing impressive and we shouldn't make any conclussions based on this game.

Nothing impressive? We've been trying to point out, to little avail it seems, that it's the type of ball that was played that impressed us. Name me one occasion in recent memory (doesn't matter who the opponent is) where the likes of Rakitic, Gomes etc played with such flair. And it wasn't even about the dribbling and the fancy stuff... It was about the passing and movement.

It was by some distance the most enjoyable half of football I've seen from Barcelona in I don't know how long. I've even given Valverde props for it in his thread and that is difficult for me to do because I consider him a mediocre coach.

serghei

Only way we'll see exactly how good are Arnaiz and Alena is to play them with a solid team around them. Maybe even the standard team with these 2 players in. Give them 2-3 games against La Liga opponents at home with our best team around them and we can form a better opinion.

Playing the team that played vs Murcia against a good european team we barely beat with our best eleven would probably end up with false conclusions as well, only in the opposite direction.

henias

Well no shit, they wont beat top CL teams but replace some of our starting 11 with any of them, I can guarantee we have more movement off and on the ball than Rakitic and Gomes and Suarez combined. You'll never know if u never try and Valverde is always scared to play them, they are here to prove themselves and have done so countless times, why not let them have a taste of senior games? Even Paco Alcacer ourperform Suarez, I have no doubt that Arnaiz or Alena will have trouble performing better than Rakitic or Gomes.

And what has Rakitic or Gomes provided us exactly this season in any way possible? Nothing but mediocrity and liability. If u think about it, we have nothing lose at this point.

But of course, Yes Man EV wont play them, albeit given solid minutes, they can easily blend in the first team.

Last edited:

Messi983

It was by some distance the most enjoyable half of football I've seen from Barcelona in I don't know how long. I've even given Valverde props for it in his thread and that is difficult for me to do because I consider him a mediocre coach.

Then why didn't we play like that in first half when Murcia players were still fresh? Or in first game against them when they were fully motivated in front of their own fans? Why did those players you're praising so much only had one "great" half against Segunda B team?

I think we played better in second half because Murcia allowed us to (they just waited for the game to end) more than because of the players that played instead of our usual first XI. That's why I said I'd like to see how they'd do against a good European team that will likely be motivated and physically prepared to play at their top level (something that lower division teams can't do) for full 90 minutes.

Anyway, first 25-30 minutes against Sevilla were more impressive to me than 2nd half vs Murcia based on the strength of the opponent.

Only way we'll see exactly how good are Arnaiz and Alena is to play them with a solid team around them. Maybe even the standard team with these 2 players in. Give them 2-3 games against La Liga opponents at home with our best team around them and we can form a better opinion.

I agree with that but don't see it happening for now. Alena and Arnaiz are too important for struggling Barça B team so they'll stay there to play their league games unless we'll have injury problems in the first team. But I'd like to see them playing in Copa games against better opponents alongside at least Messi and Busquets. This could happen in January.

Playing the team that played vs Murcia against a good european team we barely beat with our best eleven would probably end up with false conclusions as well, only in the opposite direction.

I wouldn't make any conclusions based on that game as I don't make them out of second half against Murcia.

Well no shit, they wont beat top CL teams but replace some of our starting 11 with any of them,

I don't care about result, I'm just interested if they could play the same way against a better opponent.

You'll never know if u never try and Valverde is always scared to play them, they are here to prove themselves and have done so countless times, why not let them have a taste of senior games?

When?

M

MessiCam

Then why didn't we play like that in first half when Murcia players were still fresh?

Really? Ever heard of nerves or the coach giving them a talking to during half time?

Or in first game against them when they were fully motivated in front of their own fans? Why did those players you're praising so much only had one "great" half against Segunda B team?

The first game was more than a month ago... New faces etc.

I think we played better in second half because Murcia allowed us to (they just waited for the game to end) more than because of the players that played instead of our usual first XI. That's why I said I'd like to see how they'd do against a good European team that will likely be motivated and physically prepared to play at their top level (something that lower division teams can't do) for full 90 minutes.

We're all waiting for that but we know it's not going to happen with Valverde.

Anyway, first 25-30 minutes against Sevilla were more impressive to me than 2nd half vs Murcia based on the strength of the opponent.

Again, you completely miss the point... It is the type of ball they played as well as Denis and Roberto impressing yet again. Show me, just once, when Rakitic and Gomes played one touch passing football. I don't even care who the opponent is.

Also, the first half against Valencia was better but I could also make an argument that Sevilla and Valencia allowed us to play like that based on what transpired in the second half. See what I did there?

Home of Barca Fans