Sergej Milinkovic-Savic

Givenchy

I would be very suprised, we just signed fred for the midfield. £48 million.

I think PSG are interested but difficult with FFP.

I think he will move for about 70 million to juve.

at 70mil though surely United will fight for him, PL is also way more enticing

Messi983

Madrid apparently preparing 150M bid for him.

I wouldnt' mind us signing him but not even close for that price and I doubt we're seriously considering him. Wouldn't be surprised if Segura likes him though. :D

BBZ8800

You do realize Savic is pretty much the same player as Pogba right? The kind of player you hated for years on this forum and called for overhyped and overrated all the time.

Savic can make a killer pass.
I see Pogba more as a guy with tricks, who will run with the ball and THEN pass the ball to someone with brains (Savic) who will then make a killer pass to a CF.

My problem with Thiago is similar.
I see him as a supportive midfielder, like Pogba.
Not a leader and a key man.

To some extent, I want us to buy Thiago now, so that majority could see that he is not Xavi, nowhere near Xavi and miles different (head, IQ) than Xavi.
Not to mention defending, balance, physique.
It seems that the only way for us to move forward is to fail and to realize mistakes.
So, let's buy Thiago then, that is the only way to turn the page in 1-2 years.
(I am not saying that Savic is the answer, but imo, Thiago surely isn't. To some extent I have even higher hopes from Arthur than Thiago, and you know what I think about him).

** I am not saying that Thiago can't make a killer pass.
I am talking more about a balance of Busi-Thiago-Coutinho midfield :facepalm:

BenRobbins

I see Pogba more as a guy with tricks, who will run with the ball and THEN pass the ball to someone with brains (Savic) who will then make a killer pass to a CF.

To some extent, I want us to buy Thiago now, so that majority could see that he is not Xavi, nowhere near Xavi and miles different (head, IQ) than Xavi.
It seems that the only way for us to move forward is to fail and to realize mistakes.
(I am not saying that Savic is the answer, but imo, Thiago surely isn't. To some extent I have even higher hopes from Arthur than Thiago, and you know what I think about him).

The little i have seen from him he is more Lampard than pogba with his goal scoring and late arrivals into box.

Pogba makes more killer passes and is a better playmaker in that regard. SMS is a goal scorring midfielder in similar to Alli and Lampard but has good playmaking skills aswell.

Pogba had more 6 more assists in the league than Savic and played 8 less games.

Raketa10

Ok BBZ I respect your opinion but if Thiago is not the answer who is? Savic?!?! Come on! No freakin way! For this amount of money he would be a ludicrous gamble!!! Name one player who is available and would be a huge improvement over our current midfield! Thiago may have his flaws and of course he is not Xavi and will never be, nobody is saying that he is Xavi 2.0. He is also injury prone but in today's market he is the best possible short term solution without a doubt. I hope we'll go for young guys: De Jong, Arthur and try with Alena and if we are lucky maybe 1 or 2 of them could succeed but until they develop Thiago would be a perfect solution for us since I really don't see any other (available) midfielder who would immediately improve our starting 11.

EDIT: That being said I would not pay over 50 mil for Thiago.

Last edited:

Judoman

Didn t you say, that you would sign Pogba in the next transfer window?

So if Thiago is similar to him, what s the problem?

BBZ8800

Didn t you say, that you would sign Pogba in the next transfer window?

So if Thiago is similar to him, what s the problem?

You are right, I said that.

Thiago is physically weak and a supportive midfielder who can't be a leader.
Pogba is at least physically strong and can't be a leader.

Anyway, how would you play 433 with Thiago?
Thiago-Arthur?
Thiago-Coutinho?
Thiago-Rakitic?

In Thiago-Arthur and Thiago-Rakitic, who is a creative midfielder/a leader in that case?
Thiago?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You're very wrong about Milinkovic-Savic.

Pogba is a better creator than him, but an inferior goalscorer and Sergej has hardly proven himself to be a leader, and is only 22/23 years old and inexperienced with just one season at this level.

It's the exact type of player you love to hate. Would be hypocritical of you to suggest Milinkovic-Savic as a solution BBZ. Very disappointed with you.

Judoman

You are right, I said that.

Thiago is physically weak and a supportive midfielder who can't be a leader.
Pogba is at least physically strong and can't be a leader.

Anyway, how would you play 433 with Thiago?
Thiago-Arthur?
Thiago-Coutinho?
Thiago-Rakitic?

In Thiago-Arthur and Thiago-Rakitic, who is a creative midfielder/a leader in that case?
Thiago?

Pogba s price would be waaay over 100 mil. His physical advantage is not worth the difference in money.
Right now i m not sure what system we will play next year, because the team is not yet set. With Suarez in the first 11 i don t think 4-3-3 is an option, at least not a good one.

I do think Valverde will have to make some tough choices. If we do get 2-3 midfield players, 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 also doesn t make much sence, so if we end up with Thiago and Arthur this summer, 3 man MF is a must, but this also
means, that Suarez shouldn t be in the starting 11. Hard choices for Valverde.

Busi-Thiago(creative)-Rakitic/Arthur and i would play Coutinho with Messi and Dembele up front. There is plenty of creativity within this 6 players.

My personal choice would be much more drastic. I would sell Suarez and Rakitic, play Messi upfront in the center and bring Kante/Milinkovic type of runner to team up with Busi-Thiago.

BBZ8800

Pogba s price would be waaay over 100 mil. His physical advantage is not worth the difference in money.
Right now i m not sure what system we will play next year, because the team is not yet set. With Suarez in the first 11 i don t think 4-3-3 is an option, at least not a good one.

I do think Valverde will have to make some tough choices. If we do get 2-3 midfield players, 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 also doesn t make much sence, so if we end up with Thiago and Arthur this summer, 3 man MF is a must, but this also
means, that Suarez shouldn t be in the starting 11. Hard choices for Valverde.

Busi-Thiago(creative)-Rakitic/Arthur and i would play Coutinho with Messi and Dembele up front. There is plenty of creativity within this 6 players.

My personal choice would be much more drastic. I would sell Suarez and Rakitic, play Messi upfront in the center and bring Kante/Milinkovic type of runner to team up with Busi-Thiago.

Everyone has their own opinion.
I don't think that Thiago is a leader/creator for Barca.
In your setup, he would be a creative leader of our midfield. That's not a positive thing in my eyes.

About other things, you would sell a CF, which I wouldn't.
Imo, Messi would drop deep.
Cou is not a true attacker, and Dembele is a winger far from goal.
In reality, we would often have zero players in the box and around the box.

You're very wrong about Milinkovic-Savic.

Pogba is a better creator than him, but an inferior goalscorer and Sergej has hardly proven himself to be a leader, and is only 22/23 years old and inexperienced with just one season at this level.

It's the exact type of player you love to hate. Would be hypocritical of you to suggest Milinkovic-Savic as a solution BBZ. Very disappointed with you.

They might be similar players, Pogba is just a clown as a personality, with tons of unneeded tricks, closer to Neymar.
I haven't watched that much of Savic, btw.
I may be wrong.

I just think that he has a lot of nice ALLROUND skills.
He could be decent in EV's 442 with 3-4 workhorses from the beginning of a season.
For 433 probably not that good.

Ok BBZ I respect your opinion but if Thiago is not the answer who is? Savic?!?! Come on! No freakin way! For this amount of money he would be a ludicrous gamble!!! Name one player who is available and would be a huge improvement over our current midfield! Thiago may have his flaws and of course he is not Xavi and will never be, nobody is saying that he is Xavi 2.0. He is also injury prone but in today's market he is the best possible short term solution without a doubt. I hope we'll go for young guys: De Jong, Arthur and try with Alena and if we are lucky maybe 1 or 2 of them could succeed but until they develop Thiago would be a perfect solution for us since I really don't see any other (available) midfielder who would immediately improve our starting 11.

EDIT: That being said I would not pay over 50 mil for Thiago.

Look, nobody knows what formation we will play.
In EV's 442, Savic would be a better option than Paulinho/Gomes, players who played a lot in the first part of a season.
So, if EV wants that type of 442, Savic could probably work, but he is too expensive.

For 433, I don't have faith in any player, because, I have wrote 100s of times, no matter what we'll do with 433, we'll have lots of problems:
1. if you buy Thiago, CMs are nowhere close to Xavi-Iniesta
2. you don't have Dani Alves as a 4th midfielder like in those days
3. you don't have young alien Messi
4. you don't have Messi as a RW
5. you don't have 2-3 attackers who defend (Pedro). None of our 3 attackers will defend too much.
6. if we'll play without Suarez, imo, that will be a horror show with Messi as a Cdm-Cm, Dembele hogging touchline and being lost majority of times, and Cou as the only attacker, who is not actually attacker and is quite slow and weak.
7. if you bench Raki, our defense will suffer even more. We will have zero muscles and aggression in midfield.
8. not to mention our short, onedimensional attack who can play only through the ground

So, it is almost irrelevant whether we buy Thiago, Pjanic or Eriksen.
Our team is a huge mess for 433 currently.
I don't mean anything bad, but as long as this version of dropping-deep-Messi is here, I don't know whether we can play any 433 at all.
So, maybe EV is not that dumb and maybe 442 or something new is a better for right now, since Messi as a deep Cm-Cdm can play only as a false 9, and then you have zero players in the box.
I know, that worked during Pep.
But then we had 3 true attackers.
Messi was an attacker.
He wasn't dropping THAT deep back then.
He was faster, more lethal etc.
And one more time, other 2 guys were a real attackers.

Last edited:

Judoman

Everyone has their own opinion.
I don't think that Thiago is a leader/creator for Barca.
In your setup, he would be a creative leader of our midfield. That's not a positive thing in my eyes.

About other things, you would sell a CF, which I wouldn't.
Imo, Messi would drop deep.
Cou is not a true attacker, and Dembele is a winger far from goal.
In reality, we would often have zero players in the box and around the box.

My original thinking/wish for next season included Griezmann, which i thought was a done deal. Coutinho would play in the MF with busi and Kante type of player. I know that Coutinho is not a true FW, but i do think he is able to score 20+ goals per season. So will be Dembele...eventualy....hopefully.

Regarding Thiago...it s hard to say how would he perform before he actually plays. Evaluating mental capabilities is very though.

Overall, I get what s your saying and i do somewhat agree. Messi in the middle is (unfortunately) a fixed thing. Which means that CF has to play defence, since Leo is a walker. Suarez didn t do that in the past season and
even more importantly, his gameplay quality droped significantly. Realisticaly he will stay in the first 11 in the next season, so 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 looks like the most probable scenario, considering how our board operates. Right now, the next
season looks like repetition of the last one, game style vise. Which means that Thiago would play one of 2 pivot positions. Probably ahead of Rakitic. Not a fan, to be honest.

The only way 4-3-3 happens in the next season is, if Leo moves to the wing. I would love to see that and Dembele on the LW. I would have no problem with Suarez in this scenario. Coutinho and Thiago can play the 2 MF positions with Busi and Arthur/Alena/Rakitic coming from the bench. But i don t think this will happen, although it would be simple and elegant.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans