Who could replace Suarez?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
A blasphemous question for us Suarez admirers but one day it will have to come up anyway.

I am trying to think of candidates but those few I can think of fall short of Suarez in his best. All I know we will need a scorer more than a wing/midfielder.

Any names to throw in?

Devils

Probably will need to happen in the next year or two.

As for replacements, no idea. New names emerge every season. A year ago at this time, barely anyone knew who Kylian Mbappe was. A year later, now look.

khaled_a_d

Depends on what we want in the future.

Messi at the middle seem like perfect option for him and our midfield. It brought back the balance to midfield and we aren't vulnerable defensively anymore.
But it limits our option in attack, we have only him and Suarez when he finishes. Could it be different if Suarez start performing and Dembele is back to the team?
If this is the case I would want a guy like Martial, may be Coutinho on LW and some other signing for midfield?

If we decide for striker then we might go for Dybala if he shows he can coexist with Messi more in the NT, Icardi (although I hate him being sob) could be another option. Werner is popular here too and he is undeniably goal machine. Not sure Griezman will work well here

btw, in both cases a guy like Mpabbe would have been perfect fit,but that ship has sailed. but on the other hand many didn't know about him 12 months ago so may be someone else will come
edit: didn't refresh the page before posting. I've basically sentence look like it is copied from Devils post now :cheers:

Neymessi

Not going to be long till we need a replacement asap. Hell it could be argued we need one right now. Tough to get a good one right now but whoever we buy I hope isn't one dimnesional and knows only to score.

jamrock

Griezmann is a good shout actually, he as the versatility to interchange across the front 3 which is needed at Barca

Windhook

Nobody from outside. Deulofeu on the right wing, Messi as "false nine" and Ousmane on the left wing. Deulofeu is already showing signs of improvement and has the Barca heart.

Anyway I don't see this scenario happening until 2019, I mean Suarez leaving Barcelona.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Nobody from outside. Deulofeu on the right wing, Messi as "false nine" and Ousmane on the left wing. Deulofeu is already showing signs of improvement and has the Barca heart.

Anyway I don't see this scenario happening until 2019, I mean Suarez leaving Barcelona.

Really?

Deulofeu has his limitations he'll never get over.

serghei

Griezmann if we're planning to replace him next season. If not, then Griezmann will be close to 28-29 years old by the time Suarez will be replaced. Dybala would be a good option all things considered. Just 25 or so.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Griezmann if we're planning to replace him next season. If not, then Griezmann will be close to 28-29 years old by the time Suarez will be replaced. Dybala would be a good option all things considered.

We have to see if Dybala and Messi can coexist for Argentina first. They'll play a few friendlies together now. I'd prefer more pace and a more direct player up front as we'll already have Messi and Dembele providing the creativity needed in attack, hopefully with a better, agile and creative midfield too.

The advantage Griezmann has IMO is his long experience playing as a LW/RW for Real Sociedad and playing behind and with another striker in Atletico whereas Dybala's mostly been like Messi. Started out wide to get stuck in the middle most of the game.

Really? How do you know? This isn't Football Manager video game where everyone has limit to their potential ability.

Low Football IQ. Watched him since he made that breakthrough season in Segunda and was voted the best player there. He's a player who's always relied on his talent to get him across the line. With better players his decision making have always been an issue and it's the same so far in Barca. He's had that problem in Everton, in Milan, for Spain U21.

Some players have it, others just don't. It's why some physically gifted players struggle at the top level too. They've relied on their physicality to remain dominant and bail them out at the lower age levels, but top level football? Not the same.

He can get better, but he will never be a Barca level starter. Probably won't even stay here for more than another season.

Last edited:

serghei

We have to see if Dybala and Messi can coexist for Argentina first. They'll play a few friendlies together now. I'd prefer more pace and a more direct player up front as we'll already have Messi and Dembele providing the creativity needed in attack, hopefully with a better, agile and creative midfield too.

The advantage Griezmann has IMO is his long experience playing as a LW/RW for Real Sociedad and playing behind and with another striker in Atletico whereas Dybala's mostly been like Messi. Started out wide to get stuck in the middle most of the game.

Low Football IQ. Watched him since he made that breakthrough season in Segunda and was voted the best player there. He's a player who's always relied on his talent to get him across the line. With better players his decision making have always been an issue and it's the same so far in Barca. He's had that problem in Everton, in Milan, for Spain U21.

Some players have it, others just don't. It's why some physically gifted players struggle at the top level too. They've relied on their physicality to remain dominant and bail them out at the lower age levels, but top level football? Not the same.

He can get better, but he will never be a Barca level starter. Probably won't even stay here for more than another season.

Griezmann it's either next summer or nothing. And even so, it's not very likely that we'll sign him. Suarez is not moving anywhere next summer imo. But we could sign Griezmann anyway.

Home of Barca Fans