Head to head comparison vs last La Liga season

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
True, but still, it is quite amazing that if we take results vs same teams last season (considered awful by many), we have same amount of points, alot less goals scored, but of course alot less conceided as well. So this means we actually struggled alot more in matches we are yet to play. Then again, all our opponents are struggling, especially Real. Lets see how next year will happen.

It's not that surprising. We played a lot against top teams away from home and got solid results but last season as well we haven't lost to any top team as far as I remember. We dropped too many points in weaker games and that really cost us the title.

Horatio

You're welcome
And that is why we can afford to drop points against top teams this season because we are winning all the games against the lesser ones.
But still...the one against Valencia and Celta should've been won.

LeeRomeno

Barca, Valencia and Atletico all played with promoted teams at home, which means i compared results to previous season relegated teams and of course they won all of them also last season so no change.
Sevilla is dropping like a stone, would not be surprised if they ended up outside Euro spots with those results, both Eibar and Atletic Club are looking to gain form and have almost caught up.
Real had another bad result and need a miracle to turn this against us.
Atletico seem the only dangerous opponent this season left and even they are going around 10 points behind us.

Lutece FC

Very interesting. Thank you for your work LeeRomeno. We did a very solid half season thanks to the fantastic work done by the team, a balanced team, a top Messi, our midlefield at his top, and our opponents are weak this year.

Horatio

You're welcome
Very interesting. Thank you for your work LeeRomeno. We did a very solid half season thanks to the fantastic work done by the team, a balanced team, a top Messi, our midlefield at his top, and our opponents are weak this year.

No mention of Valverde? Disgrace.

Lutece FC

No mention of Valverde? Disgrace.

You're right, in "balanced team" i should add fantastic work done by Valverde. I really like the team. The key for me it's the work he did for the middlefield, with Rakitic, Busi, Iniesta, Pauli, Roberto.

KingLeo10

You're right, in "balanced team" i should add fantastic work done by Valverde. I really like the team. The key for me it's the work he did for the middlefield, with Rakitic, Busi, Iniesta, Pauli, Roberto.

you're forgetting the part where coutinho > verratti.

Lutece FC

you're forgetting the part where coutinho > verratti.

i thought you're not a troll like the so-called Ousmane Dembélé and some others here (not many ...), but you're joining the wrong side.

By the way, it's not the same position in the field, not the same style, but there are both excellent players.

draconifire

So we have exactly the same point as the season before, with less goal scored (Shows how bad Suarez's forms been and lack of another attacker aka Dembele & Moneymar), but a lot few goals conceded. Having played majority of the top sides away. Good start.
We should be getting better in scoring terms with the arrival of Coutinho and Dembele. Plus Suarez seems to have come out of his slump. But I also think we will concede more too.
Goes to show how bad of slump los blancos is been going through.

Djab

So we have exactly the same point as the season before, with less goal scored (Shows how bad Suarez's forms been and lack of another attacker aka Dembele & Moneymar), but a lot few goals conceded.

Actually It’s better than last season, not scoring as much as then is not because of Suarez’s bad form (mainly) or absence of another striker. We tend to score less because we don’t try to attack relentlessly and expose lots of spaces for opposing team to score. It’s actually a more solid way of display than just simply outscoring the opponents. I personally will take a 3-0 solid win instead of a 5-2.

And we won’t see 4 goals conceded in a game like last season anymore. It was actually a pain to watch the 4 goals Celta scored against us or the PSG.

Djab

And a really nice thread LeeRomeno. Looking forward to the game against Sociedad and its comparison with last season

LeeRomeno

And we have reached halfway point and scored some more points vs last season after finally beating Real Sociedad at their home.
As halfway mark, additional table with comparing the same teams to real last season:
Barcelona: now 51 p (52-9) / based on same fixtures last season 49 p (62-14), real first half points for us last season 41 p (51-17)
Real: 32p (32-17)/42 p (49-19)/ 43p (48-17)
Atletico: 42p (28-8)/40p (42-15)/ 35p (34-16)

So if we would have played exactly same features last season (in reality fixtures came at different times) we would have rocked the first half of season and been comfortably at top with 49 points (same time last year we were in reality at poor 41 points and actually picked up form in second half of season, now at 51) and then had massive fall second half.
We lost massively more points in fixtures we are yet to play. But looking at how we overcome our demons, we could be looking at comfortable end of season. Only worrying sign is that Atletico is way higher compared their last season highpoint and fixtures they are yet to play were the ones, where they score alot more points last season.

As for main table, Atletico did not gain any points as they won similar fixture last season as well. Real was already struggling with Villareal last season, when they got a tie, so only 1 point loss.
Valencia is gaining fast on Sevilla, who have lost every bit of form, but they struggled vs Depor also last season, so same as with Real, only 1 point in comparison lost.

Kerrybai

And we have reached halfway point and scored some more points vs last season after finally beating Real Sociedad at their home.
As halfway mark, additional table with comparing the same teams to real last season:
Barcelona: now 51 p (52-9) / based on same fixtures last season 49 p (62-14), real first half points for us last season 41 p (51-17)
Real: 32p (32-17)/42 p (49-19)/ 43p (48-17)
Atletico: 42p (28-8)/40p (42-15)/ 35p (34-16)

So if we would have played exactly same features last season (in reality fixtures came at different times) we would have rocked the first half of season and been comfortably at top with 49 points (same time last year we were in reality at poor 41 points and actually picked up form in second half of season, now at 51) and then had massive fall second half.
We lost massively more points in fixtures we are yet to play. But looking at how we overcome our demons, we could be looking at comfortable end of season. Only worrying sign is that Atletico is way higher compared their last season highpoint and fixtures they are yet to play were the ones, where they score alot more points last season.

As for main table, Atletico did not gain any points as they won similar fixture last season as well. Real was already struggling with Villareal last season, when they got a tie, so only 1 point loss.
Valencia is gaining fast on Sevilla, who have lost every bit of form, but they struggled vs Depor also last season, so same as with Real, only 1 point in comparison lost.

NIce thread but round 1 is incorrect unless I'm missing something... last season we beat betis 6-2 at camp nou, funnily enough also our first game of the season. We drew 1-1 away from home which is the game we play Sunday. I think you mixed them up. That puts us on 51p - 51p (67-15)

edit.. Espanyol at home last season was 4-1 not 5-0 as you stated which points last seasons goal count at 66-16

Last edited:

LeeRomeno

Updated with weekend games.
As Kerrybai noticed, I had actually made mistake in first round, which means entire predicted result was wrong. Then again, with last night win, we corrected that mistake and indeed won this season vs tie last season, so looking to finish 2 points ahead of last season results again.
Real won, as they did last season, so if they can keep up with their last season form from now on, they are predicted to go above Atletico, who tied and lost 2 points in that comparison. Valencia lost that fixture also last season, while Sevilla actually lost that match last season, so they regained 3 points and are once again looking to finish exactly as they did last year, first win in 6 matches for Sevilla, can they still turn it around?

Interesting fact, we have now won 6 games in a row in La Liga, that coming from period of 4 away matches, facing Real Madrid, Villareal, Real Sociedad and Real Betis with 21-2 goal ratio with Eibar being second best in same period, getting 13 points from 6 matches with 11-5 ratio.

Home of Barca Fans