413885_heroa.jpg

Name: Stefan de Vrij
Current Team: Lazio
Shirt Number: 3
Positions: CB Defender
Height: 189cm
Weight: 78kg
Nationality: Netherlands

De Vrij has been regularly linked with Manchester United in recent years, especially during the Louis van Gaal era at Old Trafford. After being named in the 2014 World Cup Team of the Tournament, the Dutch centre-back swapped Feyernood for Lazio and became an instant success in Italy. In fact, his maiden campaign was so impressive that he was widely considered the best newcomer in Serie A.

Praised for his astute reading of the game and ability to carry the ball from the back, De Vrij was expected to cement his status as a Serie A star the following year. Unfortunately, though, he suffered a serious knee injury in August, which ruled him out for the entire season. Many doubted whether he could fully recapture his best form, but the Dutchman simply picked up from where he'd left off last term.

His contract expires at the end of the 2017/18 season. He is reportedly willing to put a €20m release clause so Lazio can sell him for money.

Xaviniesta

He is part of the reason of Lazio's good form. I think we should go for him as a Pique replacement/back-up

draconifire

I think we have our defender issue sorted for quite a long time. Don't think we should go for him. We have Umtit(24), Yeri Mina (23) who we probably will buy either this Jan or next summer and Marlon(22), who's showing quite good performance in Nice. 3 out of 4 spot been taken by talented and class youngsters, the 4th spot will be Pique untill he retires which I am grand with.

Xaviniesta

I think we have our defender issue sorted for quite a long time. Don't think we should go for him. We have Umtit(24), Yeri Mina (23) who we probably will buy either this Jan or next summer and Marlon(22), who's showing quite good performance in Nice. 3 out of 4 spot been taken by talented and class youngsters, the 4th spot will be Pique untill he retires which I am grand with.

We need a tall, right-footed defender in case Yerry Mina doesn't work out

Nothanks

We need a tall, right-footed defender in case Yerry Mina doesn't work out

marlon is 182 cm
centerbacks do not have to be 190-200 cm gianst to succeed for us, one of our best defenders was puyol (178cm)
we need strong athletic defenders (like umtiti or puyol who would rival pique with his jumps)

regardless idk if this matters too much but I would prefer us to find a left footed defender to backup umtiti
right now pique and mascherano are our right footed and verm and umtiti are left footed.

maybe lucho was the only one that put importance into that but who knows.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
bump for greatness

Signed a contract extension with buyout clause set at 25 mil. Probably just to help out Lazio.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

25 million is nothing. I would be surprised if he doesn't leave Lazio in the summer.

He was leaving anyway, he just wanted them to get some money out of it. They wanted 40M but he insisted 25M is enough, can't blame him since he already doing them a favor

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Surprised Man City is not all over this.

I liked him in the 2014 WC, but not sure if we're able to sign him right now even if I wanted to. Think they'll give Vermaelen another chance and we have Mina now too. I personally wouldn't mind giving the Verminator another season granted he doesn't get injured again this season. With his performances, dedication he's earned it and it's always nice to have some experience around too.

BarçaBarça

bump for greatness

Signed a contract extension with buyout clause set at 25 mil. Probably just to help out Lazio.

Is that official or what? If not he must be free to negotiate anywhere else by now.
Could be a great replacement for Vermaelen, and a real steal if he is on a free transfer!

Home of Barca Fans