Lliga | Round 5: FC Barcelona - Eibar 6-1

Neeraj

Really surprised Paco doesn't make the squad. Even if you're going to start Suarez, why wouldn't you keep the option of bringing him on later open? It's not like we have any other choice if he decides that Paco is not good enough.

I'm pretty happy Gomes doesn't though, shows me Valverde has no trust in him - which is a good thing. I'll happily take never seeing Gomes in the squad again. We have enough average homegrown midfielders who we can use for resting our starters.

Icarium

Lifestealer
No Paco and Gomes. Nice. Overpriced dead weight. Messi at striker and he won't be subbed so no need for Paco. Denis and Deulofeu should start.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
So Paco-Gomes-Arda seem to have no spot in Valverde's plan, well done Board.

I wouldn't mind at all if they had written them off this summer. Trouble is, we need first 11 players rested somewhere. Lack of planning and number of poor decisions is embarrassing.

Messi983

I don't want much rotations honestly when the main reason why we didn't won much silverware last season was too much rotations.

Lucho changed 7-8 players in away games so there was no chemistry between players that often played together for the first time ever in lineups he fielded. That's why his rotations didn't work. If we change 2-4 players from game to game that's not too much and we should do that to keep players rested and prevent injuries.

Lol, can't believe people are now complaining about Gomes not being in the squad after the abuse he has gotten.

Well, I've always defended him last season and think he has improved this season based on a little playing time he got so I'd like to see more of him. Especially since I think that both Rakitić and Iniesta have played too much so far and at least one of them should start on the bench today.

That said it's clear that Raki and Iniesta are Valverde's prefered CMs with Paulinho and Roberto (I really hope to see him in midfield today but it's also possible he'll start as RW; I would prefer him to play at one position but EV will probably use his versatility a lot) behind them. Next in pecking order is probably Denis who can be also used in both wing positions so it's understandable why he gets into match squad before Gomes. But I still don't believe EV has given up on Gomes and think he'll get a chance in next games.

Ronaldinho10

paco should defenatly be in the squad this is ridiculous.. we have no other pure striker to sub in but him..

Mascherano should get some minutes IMO won't hurt to test him alongside umtiti. Semedo should fucking start not sub in but start!

FCBfan22

So Valverde's hierarchy is something like this based on first few games, including one today (most trusted to least trusted):

Attack:
Messi, Suarez, Dembele (now injured), Deulofeu, Denis, Vidal, Roberto, Paco, Arda

Midfield:
Busquets, Rakitic, Iniesta, Paulinho, Denis, Roberto, Gomes

Defence:
Pique, Alba, Umtiti, Semedo, Roberto, Mascherano, Digne, Vermaelen

Based on this, I would sell Paco, Arda, Gomes, Digne and Vermaelen in January and bring in Cucurella, Palencia, a CB from the B team and buy Thomas Lemar, who can play as LW and LM.

behindbrowneyes

Umtiti not in the squad worries me. Given the shit Piqué did in the last games getting paired with Mascherano without match practice... Could be a busy day for MAtS.

LordLichtenstein

----------Suárez----------Messi----------Roberto----------
--------------------------------------------------------------
----------Denis---------Busquets--------Paulinho---------
----Alba-------Mascherano----Piqué--------Semedo------

Sub:
Alba > Digne 60 min.
Busquets > Deulofeu 65 min.
Semedo > Vidal 75 min.

Rested:
Deulofeu
Iniesta
Rakitic
Busquets
Alba
Umtiti
Semedo

Neeraj

Umtiti has quickly become the defender the fans feel 'safe' with. I just feel reassured with him; Pique can clown around at any time, and well Masch, while he's awesome, don't feel that confident with him supporting Pique.

Joan

Might sound weird but I'd feel more confident with Masche and Umtiti starting any game. I'm not saying it'd be a better option, though I tend to think so having Pique's form in mind.
Remember Vermaelen and Mascherano's partnership for good. Shame Verminator got injured that soon. 2 games it took, I mean, 2 games.

Home of Barca Fans