Malcom

Joan

He has flaws but ever since he got that new Contract extension he seems content with everything and lost some of that desire to suceed and stay here. Like he feels he has nothing much to prove now that he got a new contract.

He still works hard but he's missing what made people actually like him during the 15-16 season. Just that desire to prove to the club and fans that he deserves a spot on the team. He was never perfect defensively but there were times that I thought he was starting to get it but he regressed a lot since then.
If I recall correctly, Roberto considered leaving before signing that new contract? I don't think there's anything left for him to prove. He's been a very useful part of the team.

But what I meant by regressed had more to do with this, compared to the last season. I thought he did well and hoped he'd keep improving. Defending was never his strong suit, but at the same time, Semedo's ability was overblown. As a RB in Barca, you're often alone. It's not easy. Always been better in the buildup and contributed more to the team. I never expected Semedo to make it, but I'd gladly be wrong on him.

At the moment, it seems, Semedo could possibly offer us more.

gasgas

Now that Messi is injured i hope Malcom starts.
I really think he is better than Dembele.
Give him time and you will see

xXKonan

If I recall correctly, Roberto considered leaving before signing that new contract? I don't think there's anything left for him to prove. He's been a very useful part of the team.

But what I meant by regressed had more to do with this, compared to the last season. I thought he did well and hoped he'd keep improving. Defending was never his strong suit, but at the same time, Semedo's ability was overblown. As a RB in Barca, you're often alone. It's not easy. Always been better in the buildup and contributed more to the team. I never expected Semedo to make it, but I'd gladly be wrong on him.

At the moment, it seems, Semedo could possibly offer us more.
For Semedo it was always going to if he can utilize his Technical ability.

At Benfica, he established himself as one of most promising RB's in the world with his Technical abilities. Right now I will still defend the idea we made the good choice over the likes of Bellerin and Cancelo. Cancelo would have likely been a bad fit if he had came here because he was a poor defender and sometimes was brainless going forward. At Juve he has a nice defensive setup that can help migrate a number of his flaws.

With Bellerin he really lacks the technical ability. It seems like his time in England really took the La Masia out of him. :lol: But with Semedo I think his real problem was he was too timid and was afraid of making any mistake going forward and it limited what he could have shown.

Roberto had the pleasure of being here for a number of years and he slid right in and that's how he got the starting spot. Semedo going by this season and preseason decided to fuck it and realized there's no point in being timid and afraid and start showing the coach what he has to offer and so far it seems he's doing it.

Roberto is in a pickle because if Semedo keeps flying like he is, he won't ever regain that spot again IMO.

FinBarcelonafan

He has flaws but ever since he got that new Contract extension he seems content with everything and lost some of that desire to suceed and stay here. Like he feels he has nothing much to prove now that he got a new contract.

He still works hard but he's missing what made people actually like him during the 15-16 season. Just that desire to prove to the club and fans that he deserves a spot on the team. He was never perfect defensively but there were times that I thought he was starting to get it but he regressed a lot since then.

I agree. It looks like he regressed. Defensively, offensively.. etc. All around he just looks worse and this guy should be in his prime.

Potroh

But with Semedo I think his real problem was he was too timid and was afraid of making any mistake going forward and it limited what he could have shown.

Agreed.
For quite some time by now, one could easily feel Semedo's fear to lose the ball when trying to go forward.
Obviously it is EV's fault because his task would be to encourage the younger and less experienced players (if they have the needed talent) to try to show their capabilities, instead of "just" playing safe.
But EV is the master of playing safe, he is a mediocre coach who absolutely lacks fantasy and imagination, that's why the talents tend to get fearful under his tutorage.

The very same stands for Dembele, who obviously tries things that he is not really accustomed to do, so the same fear of getting dropped for a long time (again and again) can be felt on both players. Not to mention poor Malcom, who is getting no chances whatsoever...

The present good form of Alcacer in Germany is the textbook example of this, namely how to fleece off almost any existing or remaining confidence of a player, if the coach is filled with negativity and unable to bring out the best out of the obvious talents.
All this is done by the same coach, who last year unnecessarily played Gomes dozens of times, despite his obvious lack of talent...

gasgas

For Semedo it was always going to if he can utilize his Technical ability.

At Benfica, he established himself as one of most promising RB's in the world with his Technical abilities. Right now I will still defend the idea we made the good choice over the likes of Bellerin and Cancelo. Cancelo would have likely been a bad fit if he had came here because he was a poor defender and sometimes was brainless going forward. At Juve he has a nice defensive setup that can help migrate a number of his flaws.

With Bellerin he really lacks the technical ability. It seems like his time in England really took the La Masia out of him. :lol: But with Semedo I think his real problem was he was too timid and was afraid of making any mistake going forward and it limited what he could have shown.

Roberto had the pleasure of being here for a number of years and he slid right in and that's how he got the starting spot. Semedo going by this season and preseason decided to fuck it and realized there's no point in being timid and afraid and start showing the coach what he has to offer and so far it seems he's doing it.

Roberto is in a pickle because if Semedo keeps flying like he is, he won't ever regain that spot again IMO.

What are you talking about?
Roberto will continue to start now that he's back

xXKonan

What are you talking about?
Roberto will continue to start now that he's back
I'm not so sure about that.

If Roberto keeps performing as he has this season while Semedo keeps doing what he's doing now Roberto will probably be used more like a CM than RB this season. The next month will be rather crucial and while Valverde can be stubborn I do think if Roberto struggles on the defensive end like we seen this season I think he will lose his starter status.

khaled_a_d

I remember him posting a few months ago how Roberto was one of the best RB's in the world and Semedo lacked alot of things. Just found it a bit curious how suddenly Semedo is the better player in such short timespan.

I said it in the summer based on his last year performance, he was actually the best RB in Liga IMHO and probably one of the best in the world (and I said this speaks volume about how bad the position currently in football world).
And I also said he regressed this year, I don't need to deny what I am seeing for the sake of sticking to my opinion.
And right now it seems Semedo is getting more faith from EV in the position, still a bit early to make conclusive statement about it but this seems the case as it stands now.

Porque

I would like to see us stick with the form player (Semedo) but I am not sure that is the way Valverde roles. One bad half and Semedo is off for Roberto and that is it for first team chances. It only takes the minimum for Valverde to revert to his favourites.

As for Roberto, I would not say he has regressed, just that he is out of form.

El Clasico will say alot. Does Valverde go for continuity or nepotism.

clemente

There is no on/off, EV just picked his starting 11 before the season even started and thats it. There is no fight for the starting spot, now that Roberto is healthy, he will be starting again.

El Barcelona

Him starting for Barça now is basically the same like throwing him for the wolves. All thanks to EV the coward who now needs to gamble in those important games.

Messigician

Valverde: "Inter are in great form after winning seven in a row. They never give up, as shows from so many wins in the final minutes and after coming back from behind."

"We'll have to work together to make sure Leo Messi's absence shows as little as possible. We have the players to cover for him. The whole team will give it all they have"

"Malcom? It's true he's not played much, but he has to be ready to play at any moment. It could be tomorrow, it could be in the future."

"Rafinha won't play tomorrow just because he played for Inter before. If he does play that means I have chosen him on what I think will be best for us."

"Dembele? Like all the other players, he needs to be ready when we want him."

"It is very Difficult to give all the responsibility to one player. We need to do a team work in order to make his absence unaffected."

Home of Barca Fans