Malcom

Potroh

When we are playing against a parked bus, what is Arthur bringing into our game, which can't be achieved by any random midfielder like Raki, Vidal, Alena, Coutinho, Rafinha or Puig? Absolutely nothing.

I got zero replies to that question.

You are mistaken - once again.
I have several times answered you regarding your Arthur phobia and specifically mentioned the "parking bus" situations - agreeing with your assessment.

It is the contemporary Barca that is horrible and lacks any idea how to get behind the buses, regardless who plays in midfield.
Arthur has nothing to do with that.
It is a tactical scenario problem, most probably seriously depreciated by the coach.

Arizona Scott

Messi983, spot on everything you said.

Advanced metrics are a part of every professional sports business model. They help identify biases and less seen benefits and drawbacks to certain players performances. Of course they don't tell the whole story, not everything is measured properly, and they can't well account for potential or development. But when you have a season or seasons of stats--and when one player who largely plays similar positions as another and their composites stats are pretty close yet fans have wildly different beliefs about the players effectiveness, it is mostly probably emotion based thinking and confirmation bias, not any kind of objective analyses or good eye test from the knowledgeable footballer (the refraine when the bias is exposed and arguments picked apart is something to the effect "stats lie", "you know crap about football but I am an expert" yada yada). One has to constantly examine one's internal biases to have a good eye test, and it quite clear the majority posters don't bother, and moderators and highly experienced posters don't regulate tribal behavior either, even when abusive nonsense. So some of us have to and maybe enjoy it or the exchange with enough authentic and reasonable posters to come back.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

You are mistaken - once again.
I have several times answered you regarding your Arthur phobia and specifically mentioned the "parking bus" situations - agreeing with your assessment.

It is the contemporary Barca that is horrible and lacks any idea how to get behind the buses, regardless who plays in midfield.
Arthur has nothing to do with that.
It is a tactical scenario problem, most probably seriously depreciated by the coach.

This is Malcom's topic.
But again: why does Arthur plays the same for Gremio, Barca and Brasil then?
Is EV a coach of all those teams?

He is showing similar flaws at Gremio and Brasil.
Since I was wrong again, enlighten me again.

Potroh

This is Malcom's topic.
But again: why does Arthur plays the same for Gremio, Barca and Brasil then?

You mentioned all the other players, I simply reflected upon that.
But at least you have answered me this time, which is a nice achievement.

He is showing similar flaws at Gremio and Brasil.
Since I was wrong again, enlighten me again.

At least yesterday, Arthur played very differently, compared to the "back-pass" avow you've tried to bring up frequently.
He played quite offensively, the only dangerous overhead shot was also his.
I think the two earlier friendlies he played for his NT don't count too much. That was his debut.

If you saw the yesterday's game you should know what I am talking about. If you did not, there's no use to debate it with mere statistics.
(Well, it started late related to our CET but was an interesting game. Same will be for the Argentinian game this night).

Potroh

Of course they don't tell the whole story, not everything is measured properly, and they can't well account for potential or development.

That's right. It's just one of the many tools available to a coaching staff at any club.
But stats in itself just prove mere tendencies, as additional equipment.

Even in quantum physics, where stats are deadly important, those scientifically represent a mathematical tool to measure probability.
But football is not quantum physics... it's a game that never repeats itself.

Arizona Scott

That's right. It's just one of the many tools available to a coaching staff at any club.
But stats in itself just prove mere tendencies, as additional equipment.

Even in quantum physics, where stats are deadly important, those scientifically represent a mathematical tool to measure probability.
But football is not quantum physics... it's a game that never repeats itself.

yes probability in complex systems, not all that different than predicting stocks (say a hedge fund or most mutual funds) or likely success of one medical treatment vs another for an individual patient. never perfect, but you can bet you want the folks making decisions to impact your life (retirement planning and health) are using what data they have.

booge

it's a tragedy that he didnt get more chance. all those games coutinho kept starting.
it's not fair that he didnt get given a good go. i bet that's how he feels and doesnt want to leave.
you could tell it was his dream to move here.

Tackle

[tw]1147866922068926467[/tw]

Why is he so keen on ruining his career?

Lad needs minutes to develop and isn't talented enough to get a sniff in the first team here. Completely counter productive.

Delusions of grandeur. He will go the the way of Arda, Denis, Samper, Gomes etc. if he decides to stay here to "prove himself." The writing is on the wall, the sooner he leaves the sooner he can relaunch his career.

gregorrin10

[tw]1147866922068926467[/tw]

Why is he so keen on ruining his career?

Lad needs minutes to develop and isn't talented enough to get a sniff in the first team here. Completely counter productive.

Delusions of grandeur. He will go the the way of Arda, Denis, Samper, Gomes etc. if he decides to stay here to "prove himself." The writing is on the wall, the sooner he leaves the sooner he can relaunch his career.

Just because Fraudverde doesn't trust him or doesn't play him to hold a grudge for not getting his boy Willian, doesn't mean the player is shit...he proved that already in his limited time here. Just imagine if he played all of Coutinho's minutes, we'd probably rate him higher than Dembele at this point.

soul24rage

Malcom proved that he deserved more than what he was given last season. If only EV played him not when a player is injured or suspended.

Tackle

Just because Fraudverde doesn't trust him or doesn't play him to hold a grudge for not getting his boy Willian, doesn't mean the player is shit...he proved that already in his limited time here. Just imagine if he played all of Coutinho's minutes, we'd probably rate him higher than Dembele at this point.

What has he proven? Other than the odd match or odd goal he has been shite every time he's seen the pitch. People will point to that above-average Madrid performance and the Inter match where he scored a nice goal. Conveniently the same folks aren't nearly as quick to bring up his countless mediocre performances and instead see only the limited positives due to inherent biases for young, faster players.

What about the bloke's underwhelming performances against Eibar, Getafe, Celta, Huesca, Sevilla, Levante and Betis? Minutes are earned at this level, not handed.

Leo_Messi

There is no point in keeping Malcom for the next season for him to rot on the bench, in the stands or at home. Valverde did obviously have nothing to do with his signing (he was taken by a surprise as he was chasing freaking Willian) and even when Malcom showed great promise (that MoM performance and goal against RM in the first leg of the CdR semifinals at the Camp Nou) he was awarded by being frozen out completely for the next 1.5 month if I recall correctly. Nothing more needs to be added after that example.

Sell him to the highest bidder and try to recuperate as much of those €40 million as possible as I highly doubt that this useless board will be able to offload him for more. Or that any club would be willing to offer more than €40 million for that matter after the club and Valverde have devalued his worth.

As I said a few months back, Richarlison is the player that Barca should have gone for instead of Malcom
They cost about the same and there were even rumours we were considering him as one of our options before we went for Malcom
I rememeber watching YouTube highlights and realizing Malcom didn't have good technique's a, as opposed to Richarlison who does.
Whoever got this wrong needa to be fired
PS: they both cost about the same and both are Brazilian

Last edited:

jairzinho

Interesting news. Seeing that they're also iooking at Everton from Gremio.
He will do well under Marco Silva. Both Bernard and Richarlison have done relatively well there so far.

Home of Barca Fans