Malcom

BBZ8800

Dembele isn't perfect obviously, but if he's not doing well why not give Malcom a shot?

My suspicion is for years that our 433 is NOT working anymore.
During Pep, we had 3 world class midfielders, but even more important, they were supported by "a false midfielder" in Dani Alves and with 3 hard working attackers.
So, it was a unit of 4 midfielders and 3 attackers=7 players in total.

Today, if you play Dembele/Malcom-Suarez-Messi, that attacking line is far from hardworking 2011's days.
Also, midfield with Coutinho is anything but balanced and good in defense.
Not to mention a lack of a false midfielder in Dani Alves.

So, instead of a unit of 7 players, today we have a unit of 2-3 hardworking men.
And what happens on a field when we play 433? We are usually outnumbered, outrun and similar.

In Lucho's 3ed season, we played 433, and some think that we turned to 343 because we had a RB Roberto.
My opinion is that we turned to 4 midfielders since 3 midfielders were NOT enough in a current state/age/motivational phase of our 11 starters.
And we started to play better ONLY when we had 4 true midfielders on a pitch (6:1 vs Psg for example), instead of 433.

When EV came, he continued to use 4 midfielders, and he sacrificed one attacker, moving from a defensively risky 343 to a more balanced (but also more sterile in attack) 442.
With 442, EV played somewhat ugly, but his team was usually good defensively.
Until... January and February when Dembele was fit again and when we bought Coutinho.
When these 2 came, we lost our balance from the 1st part of a season.

This season, Coutinho sucks as a Cm in terms of team's balance.
And Dembele is... well, Dembele, no need to comment too much.
Put those two in a starting lineup, and our results will always vary between 6:1 and 0:3.
We can score 5-6 against anyone and concede 3 against anyone.
Good attacking power, horrible midfield's balance and a horrible defensive structure.

Also, with Dembele-Coutinho, we are back to a 433 which isn't working for way too many years.
And now, with Dembele on a bench, we play 433, but we again have 4 midfielders on a pitch, with 3 midfielders and Coutinho as a LW.
So, we are AGAIN moving back to Lucho's 343 with 4 midfielders and EV's 442 from the first part of a last season, when we didn't have Dembele and Coutinho and often played with 4 TRUE CMs in Iniesta, Busi, Rakitic, Paulinho/Gomes.

So, in the last 3 seasons, the only days when we looked better, more in control and with more allround balance is when we moved AWAY from 433 (and only 3 midfielders) to some variants of a 4-men midfield with 4 TRUE midfielders on a pitch together:
Lucho 2016/17:
433 sucked and we were outplayed by any La liga team on away matches
343 brought more balance in midfield, but a defense was still shaky
EV 2017/18:
442 brought numerous clean sheets in the first part of a season with scores 1:0, 2:0
433 in the 2nd part of a season, with Dembele and Coutinho was way more all over the place and overally shaky
EV 2018/19:
He started with a 433, and we weren't balanced too well
In the last 3 matches he moved closer to his 442 with Coutinho as a LW and Dembele on a bench, and voila, what a surprise= we again play better and look more like a team.

So, imo, you are simplifying it when you say that Arthur alone brought balance.
I mean, imagine Arthur in a lineup: Busi-Coutinho-Arthur, Dembele-Suarez-Messi.
Arthur would have to babysit for 4 players plus covering a RB, the same as Rakitic.
When you have Arthur-Rakitic-Busi, then Arthur-Rakitic together have to cover ONLY for 3 attackers, and not for 3 attackers+Coutinho.
So, Arthur alone in 433 with Coutinho and Dembele needs to cover for 4 players and a RB. So, one guy covering for 5 players.
While Rakitic+Arthur (2 guys) need to cover only for 3 attackers (plus a RB).
Numerically:
1 player covering for 5 players.
Or: 2 players covering for 4 players.
Not the same numerical situation, isn't it?

In short, imo, this is NOT only due to Arthur, but due to tactical and numerical changes in our lineup.

Let's go back to your reply about Malcom.
Where? How?
It seems that we play better with 433 with Coutinho as a LW.
There is no room for Dembele nor Malcom.
Either of them can play only in the last 20 minutes, instead of Coutinho.

Also, not to mention: if you give 20 minutes to Malcom, then Dembele won't enter a field at all.
In THIS moment, from a tactical view, there is no room for BOTH Dembele and Malcom.
In fact, there is no room for more than 20 minutes for any of them.

So, introduction of Arthur in a lineup pushed Dembele away, as I have wrote 2-3 weeks ago (when people thought that Rakitic will be benched).
Now, with Arthur on a field, Malcom will get even less minutes, since we have:
1. Coutinho Lw
2. Dembele Lw
3. Malcom Lw, in that pecking order

The only other option for Malcom to play are: long term injuries for attackers.
Or Dembele not playing (even as a sub) anymore.

This is why Malcom is not playing.
1. tactics (a need for 4 "true" midfielders on a field in a same time to regain control)
2. and he is a 3rd choice for his position in a pecking order

Last edited:

Messigician

Good analysis for once by BBZ.

Which is why I wanted to play the following formation of I were the hypothetical coach

Suarez Messi
Coutinho
Alba Arthur Busquets Roberto
De Ligt De Jong Umtiti
Ter Stegen

EdmondDantes

BBZ's math does not check out since he's not factored in Rakitic's appalling form on and especially off the ball. Replace him with someone better and we improve 10 fold offensively and defensively.

And Malcom and Dembele aren't only shackled to the left-wing/left attacker role. In fact both play better on the right, but both can also play on either side. I'd wager Malcom would be a better 9 than Munir as well.

BBZ8800

BBZ's math does not check out since he's not factored in Rakitic's appalling form on and especially off the ball. Replace him with someone better and we improve 10 fold offensively and defensively.

And Malcom and Dembele aren't only shackled to the left-wing/left attacker role. In fact both play better on the right, but both can also play on either side. I'd wager Malcom would be a better 9 than Munir as well.

The only player who can offer what Rakitic is offering is Arthur.
Rafinha is not good in defending.
Denis, no need to comment.
Alena, more attacking minded.
Samper, no need to comment.
That leaves us only with Vidal who is a box to box player and doesn't "hold" his position that well in terms of covering and babysitting for other players.
He will make a lot of tackles, don't let those fool you, but he will often venture into an opponent's box where we already have 3 attackers (plus Coutinho) and he will leave right flank without protection.
Even though it sounds weird, Vidal moves up and down too much, to some extent, compared to Arthur and Rakitic who hold their position more strictly.

And since Arthur's and Rakitic's main duty is to babysit for Messi, Suarez, Dembele/Coutinho and Coutinho, you don't have other babysitting options in a team except Busi, Raki and Arthur.

So, you don't have any other options except Vidal, who is more risky, at least that is my impression till now.
Also, when you add Vidal's childish behavior, that leaves us with: Busi, Raki, Arthur - Cou, Suarez, Messi.

Also, dropping Rakitic has nothing to do with Malcom.
If you drop Rakitic and play Vidal, we will still play Busi, Vidal, Arthur - Cou, Suarez, Messi.

If you want Dembele in, that means that Coutinho will be a CM, and there goes our 4men midfield again.
If you want Malcom, the same story.

So, you can't have:
1. a true CF in the box to drag away the opponents (Suarez)
2. 4 midfielders in midfield and forward line
3. one out of Dembele/Malcom on field
4. Messi
You need to sacrifice something.

For me, a choice is a no brainer: we should sacrifice a no3 (Dembele and Malcom).
For some other fans, they would sacrifice No1 (Suarez in the box) or a No2 (balance, 4 midfielders and defending).

But back to your question, playing Rakitic or not has nothing to do with Dembele/Malcom.
Dembele/Malcom can play only if we are sacrificing a 4th midfielder on a pitch.

And a 4th midfielder was a key for our success (results wise) in 2016/17 Lucho, 2017/18 EV, 2018/19 EV.

So, if you find some better idea how to have both Messi, Suarez and 4 midfielders, then you are on something...

soul24rage

The only player who can offer what Rakitic is offering is Arthur.
Rafinha is not good in defending.
Denis, no need to comment.
Alena, more attacking minded.
Samper, no need to comment.
That leaves us only with Vidal who is a box to box player and doesn't "hold" his position that well in terms of covering and babysitting for other players.
He will make a lot of tackles, don't let those fool you, but he will often venture into an opponent's box where we already have 3 attackers (plus Coutinho) and he will leave right flank without protection.
Even though it sounds weird, Vidal moves up and down too much, to some extent, compared to Arthur and Rakitic who hold their position more strictly.

And since Arthur's and Rakitic's main duty is to babysit for Messi, Suarez, Dembele/Coutinho and Coutinho, you don't have other babysitting options in a team except Busi, Raki and Arthur.

So, you don't have any other options except Vidal, who is more risky, at least that is my impression till now.
Also, when you add Vidal's childish behavior, that leaves us with: Busi, Raki, Arthur - Cou, Suarez, Messi.

Also, dropping Rakitic has nothing to do with Malcom.
If you drop Rakitic and play Vidal, we will still play Busi, Vidal, Arthur - Cou, Suarez, Messi.

If you want Dembele in, that means that Coutinho will be a CM, and there goes our 4men midfield again.
If you want Malcom, the same story.

So, you can't have:
1. a true CF in the box to drag away the opponents (Suarez)
2. 4 midfielders in midfield and forward line
3. one out of Dembele/Malcom on field
4. Messi
You need to sacrifice something.

For me, a choice is a no brainer: we should sacrifice a no3 (Dembele and Malcom).
For some other fans, they would sacrifice No1 (Suarez in the box) or a No2 (balance, 4 midfielders and defending).

But back to your question, playing Rakitic or not has nothing to do with Dembele/Malcom.
Dembele/Malcom can play only if we are sacrificing a 4th midfielder on a pitch.

And a 4th midfielder was a key for our success (results wise) in 2016/17 Lucho, 2017/18 EV, 2018/19 EV.

So, if you find some better idea how to have both Messi, Suarez and 4 midfielders, then you are on something...

I think Bob can do the babysitting job

khaled_a_d

if we keep EV we'll probably end up selling Dembele, Bob being a mainstay at RB, Malcom sold, De jong and De Ligt go to City while we end up with Rabiot, Willian/Perisic type. i can even see Gomes coming back from a failed loan and EV playing him again :lol:

Think Semedo is now our starting RB over Roberto, I liked Roberto better last year but not this one and it seems EV has same opinion. Things will be more clear in the next month

EdmondDantes

BBZ

My Malcom/Dembele was a separate point. I wouldn't drop a midfielder for either of them. Our form in the last 3 games tells us we shouldn't - we're on the right path now.

What would be ideal for me was the Rakitic of last season, the one we're seeing now shouldn't be in the team.

Vidal should be the one profiting from Rakitic's poor form - even if he isn't quite the right fit - but he'd rather dick around and act as if he's above the club.

Busquets, Arthur and Vidal with Coutinho, Suarez & Dembele/Malcom could be decent during Messi's absence.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Think Semedo is now our starting RB over Roberto, I liked Roberto better last year but not this one and it seems EV has same opinion. Things will be more clear in the next month

Interesting how Roberto went from one of the best RB in the world to a random like Semedo being better than him.

Joan

Quite odd Roberto's case. His level actually regressed. At least Semedo's picking up some kind of form.

xXKonan

Quite odd Roberto's case. His level actually regressed. At least Semedo's picking up some kind of form.
He has flaws but ever since he got that new Contract extension he seems content with everything and lost some of that desire to suceed and stay here. Like he feels he has nothing much to prove now that he got a new contract.

He still works hard but he's missing what made people actually like him during the 15-16 season. Just that desire to prove to the club and fans that he deserves a spot on the team. He was never perfect defensively but there were times that I thought he was starting to get it but he regressed a lot since then.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Isnt the Barca RB automatically one of the best RBs in the world?

I remember him posting a few months ago how Roberto was one of the best RB's in the world and Semedo lacked alot of things. Just found it a bit curious how suddenly Semedo is the better player in such short timespan.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans