Arthur

serghei

It's not that simple:

1. When we have the ball, he can shield it
2. When we don't have the ball, he can't run, can't defend, can't jump, can't intercept

I used to post stats when Arthur was here.
He had weaker defensive stats than Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal, Alena and even Coutinho.

For example, this season at Juve:
Arthur 820 mins, 35 directly balls won with tackles/inteceptions/blocks or headers
=23.4 minutes per one ball won
=3.8 balls won per match
Rabiot 1220 mins, 91 balls won
=13.4 minutes per one ball won
=6.7 balls won per match

And this is a comparison with Rabiot, who is meh and who used to be called an absolute crap here.
Now, imagine Arthur's defensive stats against semi decent professional footballers like Busquets, Rakitic and Vidal.

In the last 7-8 years, Arthur was the most overhyped player on our forum (during honeymoon days in his first season here).
Imo, Riki Puig is on the 2nd place on that list.

Ironically, they possess some of the same silky Barca Dna traits and suffer from horrible deadly flaws in some other areas.

Leave aside the fact that you hate Arthur. Arthur is profile A. Rakitic is profile B, and C. Completely opposites of each other. Rakitic was probably better than Arthur as an option when up against teams that put you in B or C scenario. Unfortunately, Liverpool put us in A scenario (basically us needing to fight off their relentless pressing), which happened to be the area Arthur is better than Rakitic at. As a result, Arthur didn't play, and Rakitic was probably the flop of the match.

Also, before JamDav jumps on this unmissable opportunity to procure another argument for himself, this is not saying Arthur is a great player. This is simply pointing out that Liverpool took the game in an area Arthur was better than Rakitic at: playing through pressing and not giving the ball away.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Leave aside the fact that you hate Arthur. Arthur is profile A. Rakitic is profile B, and C. Completely opposites of each other. Rakitic was probably better than Arthur as an option when up against teams that put you in B or C scenario. Unfortunately, Liverpool put us in A scenario (basically us needing to fight off their relentless pressing), which happened to be the area Arthur is better than Rakitic at. As a result, Arthur didn't play, and Rakitic was probably the flop of the match.

Also, before JamDav jumps on this unmissable opportunity to procure another argument for himself, this is not saying Arthur is a great player. This is simply pointing out that Liverpool took the game in an area Arthur was better than Rakitic at: playing through pressing and not giving the ball away.

Great points and spot on. You are asking for trouble if you put Raki/Busi and Vidal all on the midfield vs Liverpool. They can't handle pressure. Maybe Busi when he was younger but that's about it. Arthur was made for that match. Holding the ball and not losing it.

JamDav1982

Why didnt he played against Liverpool in anfield, his pressing resistance could have help us a lot.

Was just back from injury but in hindsight could not have been worse than Rakitic and would have been better when pressed.

Folk like to make out EV went defensive that game but he didnt and Roberto over Semedo and Rakitic over Arthur were more attacking players. Barca went out to score that game and couldnt do it.

Birdy

Spot on!
That game was crying for Arthur.

And overall, he is not as bad a people make him out to be

Horatio

You're welcome
Played well? People focus too much on result. Player can have identical performance in a losing and winning game but depending on result will be praised or condemned.
Saw him play the same amount of lateral passes or backpasses when he could've played forward. Not saying he played bad, but seemed like a typical performance.

Could be absolutely wrong. Maybe he had a high number of ball recoveries which I missed.

JamDav1982

Wait for JamDav now to call him crap one more time and prove the Juve forum idiots

Didnt watch game but Juventus fans before tonight have not been too pleased with him and pointing out same flaws as showed for Barca.

No need to call them idiots...

Keep fanboying for Semedo and Arthur if it keeps you happy.

Birdy

Keep fanboying for Semedo and Arthur if it keeps you happy.

Come on...
It's you who stick out when you hate someone, like both of these
You are blinded to opposite view, and you cannot judge objectively at all...

He's barely a professional player, come on.

I never denied that.
If you check my previous post here, you will see that I think that's most important issue with him, rather than his forward or lateral direction of passing

BBZ8800

For me, his passing is the biggest problem.

He will never be able to fix it.
He probably grew up watching TikiTaka and made a mistake that keeping possession no matter what is the purpose of football.

He will play the same "pig in the middle" type of football even aged 33.

He is valuable only when you lead 2:0 and you want to waste the time and keep the possession till the end.

At 0:0 or 0:1, he is the most useless player who has wear Barca's shirt in this century.

I would rather have Andre Gomes at 0:1 than him.

JamDav1982

Come on...
It's you who stick out when you hate someone, like both of these
You are blinded to opposite view, and you cannot judge objectively at all...

I never denied that.
If you check my previous post here, you will see that I think that's most important issue with him, rather than his forward or lateral direction of passing

Could just as easily say you are ?not objective? and rate likes of Semedo
and Arthur too highly and they have proven you wrong.

Maybe you ?hate? players like a child would but try not to project that on to others.

mc_lovin

Arthur and Semedo dont belong in the same sentence.

I am still fairly confident Arthur will amount to something. Theres a good player in there.

khaled_a_d

Arthur and Semedo dont belong in the same sentence.

I am still fairly confident Arthur will amount to something. Theres a good player in there.

Maybe, but at the end it wasn't going to happen in Barca where he was too comfortable here having achieving his dream as Barca player.

Home of Barca Fans