Arthur

Saladin

We should bring him in when he turns 30.

That's when his Barca DNA mutates and a full blown activation initiates!

:bartomeu:

xXKonan

Kinda funny that Sport ran with an article yesterday on how Monaco and United were trying to torpedo the deal despite Reliable sources like Globo and UOL not mentioning any of those two teams and hell MD never mentioned them either.

This was like a several hours before Gremio's executive director saying things are going great and things should be done by Next week and Arthur Admitting that negotiations are on track and he should be a Barca player soon.

He's a Robert signing. I think he's signings are ok in regarding what he wants. I might be wrong though.
Robert is the creative one out the whole group in terms of our sporting department.

Robert has been trying to find a player has Xavi like traits, we tried with Verratti,Seri but it seems Robert decided Arthur was the one.

BarçaBarça

Oh boy, this is the most annoying thing about EV and everyone in this forum is talking about it. He insisted playing Suarez while he was not fully fit (Knee injury) while we have fit Paco. He barely give Semedo a chance, a player who started very well and overplay SR. Coutinho is fully fit but he likes it safe and overplay iniesta...I could go on and on.

Find a way out of the cave pls!

So, on what basis do we judge and reach the definitive conclusion that Valverde is a conservative, stubborn, youngster-hating coach, who will not change:
Coutinho:
Wasn’t bet on in the two Valencia-games, which Valverde (contrary to all of Barca-forum) sees as important games, because he wants a Copa trophy (which is worth less than shit to everyone on this forum). In one of these games we played the best of all season, but nevermind that, Valverde still chose wrongly. Only got a third of the Eibar-game too, which in fairness could have been the other way around (with Iniesta rested).

Dembele:
Left out of the Eibar and Chelsea-game. That is 2 times where he was available and didn’t play. As I have argued elsewhere putting Dembele on against Chelsea would be a bet as well, and not a guaranteed success.

Semedo:
Has played all of CL despite one match. But in Copa and the League Valverde has picked Roberto, which can be criticized a lot, imo, because that has meant playing Gomes or Paulinho in midfield, although the clearly aren’t good enough. Semedo at rightback and Roberto in midfield would be a better choice, and could solve some of the self-inflicted problems caused by playing Gomes/Paulinho.

Paco:
Would obviously have played a lot if he wasn’t injured at the most crucial time for him this season. Valverde had just got him to perform, but was forced to use Deulofeu when Paco wasn’t available.

To sum up:
Regarding Coutinho and Dembele it is a total exaggerated point that he resists playing them although they are fit: he has turned them down for extremely few (and very important matches), where they wasn’t in synch with the team. That tells us: This could change very quickly, and we can plausibly expect Coutinho and Dembele to get much more playing time, especially in the league, and also in CL if Dembele starts to prove himself.

Regarding ‘running people into the ground’, it could be true of especially Iniesta if Valverde doesn’t change course from now on (but as said above, I think he will). Important to acknowledge as well: He turned Suarez around from a donkey on the field to a WC-striker by giving him continues playing-time, and therefore it is a bit tough to hold it against him that he continues to do so. Rakitic is the light-version of the same story this season.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Who picked 200m Dembele and Semedo?

Have they flopped yet?

Simple Yes or No question. Did we also pay 160m for a bench player for Iniesta and Rakitic in Coutinho then? :thinking:

Yes/No, don't give me a wall of text. Just answer it, thanks.

BBZ8800

Have they flopped yet?

Simple Yes or No question. Did we also pay 160m for a bench player for Iniesta and Rakitic in Coutinho then? :thinking:

Yes/No, don't give me a wall of text. Just answer it, thanks.

They haven't flopped yet.
But let's repeat the same question in a summer of 2019.

My reply was about comment how Robert has good signings.
Summer of 22' was a truly disaster.
And in a few Months, or in a season and a half, we'll be much much smarter about his summer of 2017'.

He is quite close so that Zubi looks like a wizzard compared to his signings.
But let's wait for a few more Months.

I believe in Coutinho, though.
But I won't say: Robert is awesome, since he brought Coutinho.

I mean, when you buy two guys for 150M, who are the 3rd and a 4th most expensive signings in a history, you really have to be "special" not to "hit a jackpot" with at least one.
Cou 160
Dembele 150
Semedo 50 with addons
Gomez 40-50
Paco 35
Umtiti 30
Digne 20-ish
Deulo 12
Denis 10+ with addons
** Paulinho 40

Robert is not too far away from spending 550 Millions and getting two starters in the end (Cou and Umtiti), while we'll ship away majority of his signings in the space of 2 seasons.
But again, let's wait a summer of 2019 to evaluate Robert's signings better.

Even though, now with Arthur, he has spent 600M already.
Am I even allowed to think: what if Arthur will flop the same as majority of his guys?

Robert bought a loooooot of 20-23 year olds.
Till now, he wasn't the best Nostradamus in picking these kids.

For now, in my book, before Arthur, he has 1/8 score with 20-23 years old (only Umtiti reached expectations).

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Deulo was just brought back so we could sell him , no? We can sell him for 12 mil € no problem. We will get more money for d.suarez which we spent (no brainer). Digne is still the same when we bought him, okay backup. Paco is okay backup.. I don't see to many problems with these signings.

We made most of those signings for depth, because we had no bench players earlier and that killed our starting eleven. Paco, D.Suarez, Digne, Deulofeu were never expected to be starters. They were just depth players, like Cillessen for Steigen. We needed more depth so he got us more depth.

Gomes seems to be the shittiest buy and maybe Dembele with his problems, but I don't think Robert has done bad job. Overall quite well. I believe in Semedo..

Last edited:

George_Costanza

So, on what basis do we judge and reach the definitive conclusion that Valverde is a conservative, stubborn, youngster-hating coach, who will not change:
Coutinho:
Wasn’t bet on in the two Valencia-games, which Valverde (contrary to all of Barca-forum) sees as important games, because he wants a Copa trophy (which is worth less than shit to everyone on this forum). In one of these games we played the best of all season, but nevermind that, Valverde still chose wrongly. Only got a third of the Eibar-game too, which in fairness could have been the other way around (with Iniesta rested).

Dembele:
Left out of the Eibar and Chelsea-game. That is 2 times where he was available and didn’t play. As I have argued elsewhere putting Dembele on against Chelsea would be a bet as well, and not a guaranteed success.

Semedo:
Has played all of CL despite one match. But in Copa and the League Valverde has picked Roberto, which can be criticized a lot, imo, because that has meant playing Gomes or Paulinho in midfield, although the clearly aren’t good enough. Semedo at rightback and Roberto in midfield would be a better choice, and could solve some of the self-inflicted problems caused by playing Gomes/Paulinho.

Paco:
Would obviously have played a lot if he wasn’t injured at the most crucial time for him this season. Valverde had just got him to perform, but was forced to use Deulofeu when Paco wasn’t available.

To sum up:
Regarding Coutinho and Dembele it is a total exaggerated point that he resists playing them although they are fit: he has turned them down for extremely few (and very important matches), where they wasn’t in synch with the team. That tells us: This could change very quickly, and we can plausibly expect Coutinho and Dembele to get much more playing time, especially in the league, and also in CL if Dembele starts to prove himself.

Regarding ‘running people into the ground’, it could be true of especially Iniesta if Valverde doesn’t change course from now on (but as said above, I think he will). Important to acknowledge as well: He turned Suarez around from a donkey on the field to a WC-striker by giving him continues playing-time, and therefore it is a bit tough to hold it against him that he continues to do so. Rakitic is the light-version of the same story this season.

Are you aware that you just proved what I said was right about EV having healthy players but playing the likes Paulinho, Gomes, and Raki? Then you contradict yourself at the end and say "extremely few and very important matches" while it was obvious that EV played, for example, Gomes in the most important games, and one of them was against Valencia CDR Semis. In fact, EV corrected that mistake Gomes out-Coutinho in, Coutinho scored the first goal and we dominated the second half.

Just go over what you wrote again and don't mix up your own thoughts. :lol:

Home of Barca Fans