Arthur

xXKonan

[tw]973302038846156800[/tw]

Joaquim Piera (Sport Journalist) claims that we can bring in Arthur in the summer instead of leaving him at Gremio until January.

Meh I doubt it, I think one of the bigger reasons we sealed this deal is under the condition Arthur stays until the end of this year.

khaled_a_d

Why did we ever let Motta go- he's still playing at a high level even now

He was more like Rafinha, got injured a lot and wanted to have new start. Was more or less a bench player so we didn't mind and replaced him with Yaya

Yerry gets the axe and gets sent out on loan. is what's going to happen if we want to bring him in sooner.

Roberto seemed hesitant about us having just 3 CB + Vermaelen early in the season, I doubt he will let it be 2 + Vermaelen. If we get Arthur + Griezmann we won't have enough money for the beloved De Liegt to replace Mina.

xXKonan

I really feel like it's the one of the main reasons we were able to get him for 30 Million, is if we worked with their conditions. is if we left him on loan until the end of the year.

The main reason there's that "Purchase" option is because we wanted to sign him in the New Financial year which starts in July 1st. We didn't want to straight up send Gremio the money yet as the club wanted to balance the books for this season to avoid any possible issue.

considering the amount of money we spent on both Coutinho and Dembele+Semedo,Yerry etc it's a wise decision to wait until July.

Joan

I really feel like it's the one of the main reasons we were able to get him for 30 Million, is if we worked with their conditions. is if we left him on loan until the end of the year.

The main reason there's that "Purchase" option is because we wanted to sign him in the New Financial year which starts in July 1st. We didn't want to straight up send Gremio the money yet as the club wanted to balance the books for this season to avoid any possible issue.

considering the amount of money we spent on both Coutinho and Dembele+Semedo,Yerry etc it's a wise decision to wait until July.
We still might end up paying 40 Million for him, personally hope we pay them every penny.

I think it would be much better if he came in summer. Preseason with us, getting to know the system, adapting to the league while it's easier and the pressure is low, means a lot.
The question is whether it's worth 10 Million or not.

I really hope he'll be able to adapt well in January and be ready for the toughest part of the season, but it's not likely.
With Gomes' state, Paulinho's inability to play as a pivot, Rakitić and Busquets' age - we'll need to sign a midfielder if we want to make it work. Or promote one (Oriol? Samper?).

M

MessiCam

These guys don't fit with our ethos.
And guys like Seri and similar don't fit in the same line with winning trophies in 2018.

That is something what Xavi and majority of guys here won't understand for a few more years.
Times have changed.

Also, there is a a whole world of options in between weak players like Seri and physical players unfit for our system like mentioned above.
In 2018, you need some mixture of physique and technique, unlike in Cruijff's and Xavi's days when technique alone was enough.

Crystal ball I see... How on earth do you know we wouldn't have performed even better?

And once again, nobody is saying workhorses don't serve a purpose. We just don't need as many of them.

In the Champions league we've made at least the Semi Finals in all but 3 years since 2007/8 and winning 3. We've won 5 Copa's and 6 La Liga's during that same period too. Show me one club which boasts that sort of record over the same period...

You also conveniently forget that the thrashings we received last year to PSG and Juventus involved your workhorses. Against PSG, Gomes was a horror show and against Juventus both Rakitic and Roberto played in midfield. The last time that a technical 11 was on the receiving end of thrashing was in 12/13 against Bayern.

You seem to be of the notion that workhorses guarantee winning trophies. They don't. Man City and Madrid say otherwise.

BarçaBarça

He has a brilliant technique and good passing skill. Since Xavi left we haven't had a profile similar to him, and that is why many people will say: Look at his profile - it is Xavi-esque, I don't think anyone would say that he is certain to be a success or even be a sure starter, only time will tell.

But as an act in the transfermarket it seems like a fine choice: He is younger and with more potential than Seri, who would cost the same (and might be 30 years old).
The sure bet for a somewhat similar profile, who have proved himself consistently in a top league (and even is Brazilian) is Fabinho i Monaco. He has played at a very high level for a top team in a top-5 league and performed throughout 3-4 seasons as well. He would be more expensive, but before we jump to any conclusions regarding Arthur he needs to just reach the level of for example Fabinho in Europe.

Joan

You seem to be of the notion that workhorses guarantee winning trophies. They don't. Man City and Madrid say otherwise.
What has Man City won so far?

Real is another story. It's not just about workhorses but also physicality. Ronaldo, Casemiro etc. Their system is nowhere similar to us. I believe that the most needed strength to win a CL is versitality. Crosses, threath from corners...

Attacking through the middle shouldn't be our only trick.
It's just that the workhorses we have are not good enough.

M

MessiCam

What has Man City won so far?

Real is another story. It's not just about workhorses but also physicality. Ronaldo, Casemiro etc. Their system is nowhere similar to us. I believe that the most needed strength to win a CL is versitality. Crosses, threath from corners...

Attacking through the middle shouldn't be our only trick.
It's just that the workhorses we have are not good enough.

City are winning the league at a canter... The same league we are constantly reminded of being so physical, that would expose a passing game and they're doing it with the type of players and style of football we were once the bastion of. They're alive in the Champions League too.

And I didn't say Real are similar to us... They play with extremely technically gifted players in midfield like Modric, Kroos, Isco, Kovacic, Ceballos, Asensio and Vasquez. The obvious exception is Casemiro who is a destroyer. I dare you to name one physical player from their midfield up other than Casemiro...

And I wouldn't exactly call Madrid versatile... They're awfully one dimensional. Their game is so focused on crosses into the box that when it doesn't work they go into panic mode and flood the pitch with forwards in the hope of individual quality bringing them a result. It's been exposed numerous times this season already.

Home of Barca Fans