Arthur

khaled_a_d

He would be awful for City and would get nowhere near their team. Doesnt provide anything they would want.

Last thing they need is a player who is overly safe, immobile and unfit.

Yeah, it is the classic "He will thrive under Pep" argument that we have seen for years on many players. Last year it was also said on player like Semedo who is anti-Pep :lol:
Arthur doesn't press like Pep midfielder, doesn't pass like Pep midfielder, and Pep is one of the most demanding coach from his midfield. One trick bony won't cut it with him.

Richard.H

To be fair, there were a ton of users here comparing him to Xavi (even me). We went many seasons with Andre Gomes and injured Iniesta in midfield so Arthur was something to look forward to. He had some very impressive games in 18/19 season. We had a lot of hope that he would turn out really good. It wasn't until early 19/20 season that people started realizing he wasn't so good. Always tired by minute 60, no forward passes, just sort of there as the juve forums pointed out.

serghei

To be fair, there were a ton of users here comparing him to Xavi (even me). We went many seasons with Andre Gomes and injured Iniesta in midfield so Arthur was something to look forward to. He had some very impressive games in 18/19 season. We had a lot of hope that he would turn out really good. It wasn't until early 19/20 season that people started realizing he wasn't so good. Always tired by minute 60, no forward passes, just sort of there as the juve forums pointed out.

Even Messi said he is similar to Xavi in trainings. Wouldn't read much into it. It's a stylistic similarity in some areas (mostly pressure resistance and shielding the ball) and that's all. Nobody said he's as good or will ever going to be close to Xavi, who is probably the greatest midfielder of all time.

Birdy

+1
He is not as bad as people make him to be.
Too much emphasis on his creativity with forward passes, when this benchmark is not used to judge against so many midfielders.
The biggest issue i see with him is more his i) lack of pressing/defensive duties, ii) stamina (which he should have worked into after 2 years in Europe)
and then iii) his issues off the pitch.

More disappointed with him about the above issues than his creativity

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Why didnt he played against Liverpool in anfield, his pressing resistance could have help us a lot.

BBZ8800

Why didnt he played against Liverpool in anfield, his pressing resistance could have help us a lot.

It's not that simple:

1. When we have the ball, he can shield it
2. When we don't have the ball, he can't run, can't defend, can't jump, can't intercept

I used to post stats when Arthur was here.
He had weaker defensive stats than Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal, Alena and even Coutinho.

For example, this season at Juve:
Arthur 820 mins, 35 directly balls won with tackles/inteceptions/blocks or headers
=23.4 minutes per one ball won
=3.8 balls won per match
Rabiot 1220 mins, 91 balls won
=13.4 minutes per one ball won
=6.7 balls won per match

And this is a comparison with Rabiot, who is meh and who used to be called an absolute crap here.
Now, imagine Arthur's defensive stats against semi decent professional footballers like Busquets, Rakitic and Vidal.

In the last 7-8 years, Arthur was the most overhyped player on our forum (during honeymoon days in his first season here).
Imo, Riki Puig is on the 2nd place on that list.

Ironically, they possess some of the same silky Barca Dna traits and suffer from horrible deadly flaws in some other areas.

fergus90

It's not that simple:

1. When we have the ball, he can shield it
2. When we don't have the ball, he can't run, can't defend, can't jump, can't intercept

I used to post stats when Arthur was here.
He had weaker defensive stats than Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal, Alena and even Coutinho.

For example, this season at Juve:
Arthur 820 mins, 35 directly balls won with tackles/inteceptions/blocks or headers
=23.4 minutes per one ball won
=3.8 balls won per match
Rabiot 1220 mins, 91 balls won
=13.4 minutes per one ball won
=6.7 balls won per match

And this is a comparison with Rabiot, who is meh and who used to be called an absolute crap here.
Now, imagine Arthur's defensive stats against semi decent professional footballers like Busquets, Rakitic and Vidal.

In the last 7-8 years, Arthur was the most overhyped player on our forum (during honeymoon days in his first season here).
Imo, Riki Puig is on the 2nd place on that list.

Ironically, they possess some of the same silky Barca Dna traits and suffer from horrible deadly flaws in some other areas.

Sergi Samper was ridiculously overrated by a lot of Barca fans everywhere. I think he might place the highest on that list.

Home of Barca Fans