Arthur

clemente

I don't mind playing possession and not smashing the ball to the striker every time he gets the ball, if its not past 30min and we aren't goal behind, we wear opponents out this way, we did this all the time under Pep, why are you so excited and desperate to bring Arthur down?

Vilarrubi

Your post sounds as if I have said something horribly off.

For example, name 2 midfielders from 2000' till today who played more cautious and with less forward passes than a current Arthur.
You can even put defensive midfielders like Marquez, Edmilson, Davids, Van Bommel, Motta, Cocu into maths.

Is there actual stats to back this up?

Haven't looked into it myself BUT even if the stats show he has less forward passes than a lot of previous midfielders... you are definitely going overboard with this one mate.

Look at his minutes so far below... how can you make any judgement on a player based on that who is also new to the team. C'mon bro.

La Liga - 13 mins - 14 mins - 58 mins (Red card from 35 min onwards)

UCL - 7 mins

Supercup - 53 mins (First official Barca game)

BusiTheKing

For example, name 2 midfielders from 2000' till today who played more cautious and with less forward passes than a current Arthur.
You can even put defensive midfielders like Marquez, Edmilson, Davids, Van Bommel, Motta, Cocu into maths.

The whole point is that it's far too soon to judge him yet. Your thesis haven't been proven right because a journo said that he was a little too cautious in his first ever La Liga start lol. I can't even imagine how would you have reacted towards Xavi who was repeatedly mocked by the press for only playing sideway passes far into his first team career.

Gnidrologist

Do you remember first ever match in starting line up by every one of our mids since 2000? FFS, people in the internet era have become crazy. Guy just played his debut match as a starter (while having played half an hour as a sub before) in very disadvantageous circumstances and wasn't even close to being among worst players and guys on here are already drawing grand conclusions. Shit's ridiculous.

BBZ8800

Do you remember first ever match in starting line up by every one of our mids since 2000? FFS, people in the internet era have become crazy. Guy just played his debut match as a starter (while having played half an hour as a sub before) in very disadvantageous circumstances and wasn't even close to being among worst players and guys on here are already drawing grand conclusions. Shit's ridiculous.

From what we have seen with Gremio, Brasil and Barca, he plays exactly the same in his whole senior career.
Try to watch any clip from Brasil, he plays exactly the same in every match.

Is there actual stats to back this up?

Haven't looked into it myself BUT even if the stats show he has less forward passes than a lot of previous midfielders... you are definitely going overboard with this one mate.

Look at his minutes so far below... how can you make any judgement on a player based on that who is also new to the team. C'mon bro.

La Liga - 13 mins - 14 mins - 58 mins (Red card from 35 min onwards)

UCL - 7 mins

Supercup - 53 mins (First official Barca game)

As said to Gnidro, from what I have seen TILL NOW from Arthur in Gremio, Brasil and Barca, he plays exactly the same in every single match:
Get the ball out of our half.
And once when he gets into the opponents half, he plays as his only moto is: keep the ball, slow down the tempo, pass sideways, keep the possession no matter what.
I commented before, as if he watched videos from 2010, but nobody told him that the world moved on since then and that a possession for the sake of possession is not a positive thing anymore.

The whole point is that it's far too soon to judge him yet. Your thesis haven't been proven right because a journo said that he was a little too cautious in his first ever La Liga start lol. I can't even imagine how would you have reacted towards Xavi who was repeatedly mocked by the press for only playing sideway passes far into his first team career.

I watched young Xavi and I loved him from the day 1, even though he was a young player (so, no, I don't hate all young players).
We had exactly the same discussion for 2-3 times regarding Xavi vs Arthur in the last few weeks, so let's repeat the basics:

1. I know, it is stupid to compare anyone with Xavi
2. but since people say that Arthur looks like Xavi in some areas and that he plays in his role, let's do some comparisons between 22 aged Arthur and 22 aged Xavi
3. and I know that back then teams were leaving more space (but on the other hand, we didn't know about Pep's possession back then, so maybe we risked more, had a faster transition, and we weren't as much possession obssessed?)

Anyway, if you look 22 years old Xavi, let's say that out of 10 passes:
He will have 6-7 sidepasses/backpasses and 3-4 forward passes.
So, I know, you need to play sidepasses and backpasses to keep possession.
But the thing is, my estimation, Xavi will play 3 forward passes out of 10 passes.
Arthur will play 0 or 1 forward passes out of 10 passes, if you understand my point?
In total, Arthur (in his whole career) is too much oriented towards keeping possession no matter what.

Further, out of 10 passes, Xavi will sometimes have 10 touches, but often he will play a fast 1st touch pass or a 2nd touch pass.
On the other hand, Arthur rarely plays 1st touch passes.
He touches the ball (at least against Girona) on average (my stats after watching a video) 4 times before releasing it.
And too often he has 7-10 touches and STILL plays a backpass after that.

In short:
Xavi was playing a lot of sidepasses. But more like 7 out 10.
Arthur plays 10/10 or 9/10 sidepasses and backpasses.

Xavi was also hogging the ball sometimes.
But more like 2 times out of 10 passes.
Arthur holds the ball for too long in like 5 out of 10 passes.

And still, nobody was able to find a single player in the last 18 years who was THIS cautious in his career before Barca and at Barca (for now).

Why am I attacking Arthur?
Well, because people are talking for years: controller this, controller that, Arthur could be the new Xavi or similar to him.
And then a guy is just slowing down the game all the time and doing more or less nothing with his passes than keeping possession.
For me, there isn't too much similarities with Xavi except his off the ball movement and making himself available for pass (only to pass back after that, ouch) and his ability to get the ball out of our half.

One more time, I know that it is stupid to compare anyone with Xavi, but since people are often mention Xavi in this thread (and you have now mentioned him again), so NO: Xavi wasn't cautious at all in young years.
Xavi aged 22 against Real Madrid:

Arthur aged 22 vs Girona:

Vilarrubi

As said to Gnidro, from what I have seen TILL NOW from Arthur in Gremio, Brasil and Barca, he plays exactly the same in every single match:
Get the ball out of our half.
And once when he gets into the opponents half, he plays as his only moto is: keep the ball, slow down the tempo, pass sideways, keep the possession no matter what.
I commented before, as if he watched videos from 2010, but nobody told him that the world moved on since then and that a possession for the sake of possession is not a positive thing anymore.

Tbf i've only watched highlights of Gremio on youtube and he looked okay on there... but we all know about not judging players off highlights.

I agree he's been too cautious in his first games with us.. he actually looks like he has the ability to make those risky passes too. Should show some balls and do it.

I'll still give him more than the minutes he's had to prove himself as I do with every new Barca player.

gasgas

Tbf i've only watched highlights of Gremio on youtube and he looked okay on there... but we all know about not judging players off highlights.

I agree he's been too cautious in his first games with us.. he actually looks like he has the ability to make those risky passes too. Should show some balls and do it.

I'll still give him more than the minutes he's had to prove himself as I do with every new Barca player.

how many risky passes/game was he making in gremio?

how many throughballs/key passes/longballs?

Vilarrubi

how many risky passes/game was he making in gremio?

how many throughballs/key passes/longballs?

Can’t say I’ve sat there and counted... don’t plan to either.. I only watched a few minutes highlights and he looked better for Gremio than for us.. but that’s expected after only playing the minutes he has for Barca.

aceshigh

His form and stamina were really poor on the last game.

On that, we must examine an important fact about any player coming from Brazil.

It's not that players from Brazil struggle in Europe in physicality, because Europe is superior in that aspect. Because players that return from Europe to Brazil ALSO need time to adapt.

Why? Because the comparison is 100 meters sprint vs 4000 meters.

Grêmio played 79 matches in the 2017 season. Flamengo played 80.

While not all players play all matches, most of them still play more matches than any player in Europe.

What that means is that PHYSICAL PREPARATION is different. Just like it's different for different running styles.

Players in Brazil have specific physical preparation and work exercises to prepare them to run LESS EACH MATCH but run the SAME (or even more) than an European player, when adding all matches of the season.

Players in Brazil are also prepared to run enough in each single match, that their muscles won´t explode when they play again in 3 days.

Because in Brazil it's the NORM to play weekend and midweek. All the while travelling 3000 km or 4000 km for matches on the other side of the country. Or even more... to play a Libertadores matches at 3500 meters altitude, with barely any oxygen.

Fans disregard physical preparation entirely. To them, it's just a question of willpower and wanting to do it, when in truth, it's a science with tons of variables. And a player who was for months prepared for better performance at 4000 meters, won´t be able to win the 100 meters without a lenghty (months) preparation.

And the inverse is also truth. Many players coming from Europe to Brazil will only start performing well after months playing in Brazil again, because they simply can´t handle playing so many matches without changing their whole physical preparation process and adapting their bodies for that.

gasgas

Can’t say I’ve sat there and counted... don’t plan to either.. I only watched a few minutes highlights and he looked better for Gremio than for us.. but that’s expected after only playing the minutes he has for Barca.
so did Gomes, Denis Suarez, Keirriaon etc

xXKonan

Gomes played 78 games for us... Arthur has played 13, 14, 58, 7, 53 mins
Funny thing has Keirrison never kicked a ball for us despite us signing him. At least Henrique got to play Pre-season for us before he would later be sent away.

It's a shame if Arthur was taller and stronger BBZ would probably love him. But nah he will keep shitting on Arthur no matter how good he does because he Arthur is short and and even a bigger sin in BBZ's eyes is that he's hyped up by the Barca fanbase!

gasgas

Funny thing has Keirrison never kicked a ball for us despite us signing him. At least Henrique got to play Pre-season for us before he would later be sent away.

It's a shame if Arthur was taller and stronger BBZ would probably love him. But nah he will keep shitting on Arthur no matter how good he does because he Arthur is short and and even a bigger sin in BBZ's eyes is that he's hyped up by the Barca fanbase!

if a player is special you'll see it even in 10 minutes he is subbed on.
what's so special about backpasses preceded by 10 seconds of ball hogging?

Home of Barca Fans