Arthur

Joan

City are winning the league at a canter... The same league we are constantly reminded of being so physical, that would expose a passing game and they're doing it with the type of players and style of football we were once the bastion of. They're alive in the Champions League too.
vs. Basel. Our style of football is usually better suited for league competitions.
And I didn't say Real are similar to us... They play with extremely technically gifted players in midfield like Modric, Kroos, Isco, Kovacic, Ceballos, Asensio and Vasquez. The obvious exception is Casemiro who is a destroyer. I dare you to name one physical player from their midfield up other than Casemiro...
Said it's not only about their midfield. They are physically stronger than us, can't be easily dominated in that area. Speaking of Casemiro, he's crucial for the system.
And I wouldn't exactly call Madrid versatile... They're awfully one dimensional. Their game is so focused on crosses into the box that when it doesn't work they go into panic mode and flood the pitch with forwards in the hope of individual quality bringing them a result. It's been exposed numerous times this season already.
And yet they managed to win 3 CL in 4 years. They are versatile, not like they score all their goals that way. Can cross, can counter, shoot from distance AND play it through the middle.
For instance, we fear Chelsea and similar opponents who park the bus. Because we struggle breaking it. Versatile teams rarely do.

xXKonan

Arthur's agent Jorge Machado, said the main reason why we have to wait until January for Arthur is because of the lack of Non-Eu spots in the squad.

He also mentioned a lot of teams were following Arthur but we were the team that showed the most interest.

God Serena

Arthur's agent Jorge Machado, said the main reason why we have to wait until January for Arthur is because of the lack of Non-Eu spots in the squad.

He also mentioned a lot of teams were following Arthur but we were the team that showed the most interest.

That's nonsense. Mina and Paulinho both could easily get the axe and in the worst case scenario we're not affected at all (Mina) and in the best case scenario we actually get better (Paulinho).

M

MessiCam

vs. Basel. Our style of football is usually better suited for league competitions.
Nice. You single out a dead rubber game in which fringe players and those returning from injury played.
Said it's not only about their midfield. They are physically stronger than us, can't be easily dominated in that area. Speaking of Casemiro, he's crucial for the system.
Like who? I’d put Suárez, Messi, Rakitic and Coutinho against them everyday and seven times on Sunday. Just because they’re bigger doesn’t mean they’re more physical.

And yet they managed to win 3 CL in 4 years. They are versatile, not like they score all their goals that way. Can cross, can counter, shoot from distance AND play it through the middle.
For instance, we fear Chelsea and similar opponents who park the bus. Because we struggle breaking it. Versatile teams rarely do.
They’re not. They very rarely build and score through the middle... They counter great but so do we when we actually field the correct players. But their game is built on crosses. Many of them... Look at all Ronaldo’s goals in the Champions League last year.

As an example they attempted 29 crosses against Espanyol. 29! Against PSG (2nd) 20, against Getafe - 24, against Alaves 22, PSG (1st) - 23, Levante - 21. They average 25 crosses per game... To put into perspective only Eibar cross the ball more.

Regarding the bus... Teams very seldom park buses against Madrid.

Joan

Nice. You single out a dead rubber game in which fringe players and those returning from injury played.
Since they haven't played anyone tougher...
They’re not. They very rarely build and score through the middle... They counter great but so do we when we actually field the correct players. But their game is built on crosses. Many of them... Look at all Ronaldo’s goals in the Champions League last year.

As an example they attempted 29 crosses against Espanyol. 29! Against PSG (2nd) 20, against Getafe - 24, against Alaves 22, PSG (1st) - 23, Levante - 21. They average 25 crosses per game... To put into perspective only Eibar cross the ball more.

Regarding the bus... Teams very seldom park buses against Madrid.
Because parking the bus doesn't work against them.
They do play through the middle. Isco, Modrić, Benzema... all very creative. Might not as often as they cross, but are capable of it and have no problem doing so.
So, they counter, they cross, they play through the middle... and they are a threat from set-pieces - corners. Ramos has won them so much. How exactly are they not versatile?

khaled_a_d

That's nonsense. Mina and Paulinho both could easily get the axe and in the worst case scenario we're not affected at all (Mina) and in the best case scenario we actually get better (Paulinho).

Nope, we need a 4th CB and we can't afford to sign one if we are buying both Arthur and Griezmann, Mina will stay next season.
And club invested a lot in Paulinho and I doubt we will let him go, so in other words it isn't easy at all.

God Serena

Nope, we need a 4th CB and we can't afford to sign one if we are buying both Arthur and Griezmann, Mina will stay next season.
And club invested a lot in Paulinho and I doubt we will let him go, so in other words it isn't easy at all.

I don't believe for a single second we need a 4th CB. Not a single one. It will only be 2 or 3 games out of the entire season where we'll be forced to use a 4th choice CB and in such cases Digne has shown he can easily slot in against weaker La Liga sides. Our 4th CB traditionally sees little to no playing time as it is. Vermaelen had it this season. Mathieu had it in the past. Bartra had it before them. Mina has it now.

Why do we "Need" a player who absolutely never plays? What's the point of wasting a precious non-EU spot for such a player? If we need some kid with potential to ride the bench we can easily have Cuenca do the job. Maybe if Valverde cared about giving Mina minutes when we could afford to you'd have a case but the fact is Valverde cares less about giving Mina minutes than he does Barca B players.

And no matter how much the club invested in Paulinho, if he continues to underperform in such a shocking manner, they're unlikely going to choose to keep him over bringing in the latest shiny new toy. I just don't see it happening.

M

MessiCam

Since they haven't played anyone tougher...
Napoli?

Because parking the bus doesn't work against them.
They do play through the middle. Isco, Modrić, Benzema... all very creative. Might not as often as they cross, but are capable of it and have no problem doing so.
So, they counter, they cross, they play through the middle... and they are a threat from set-pieces - corners. Ramos has won them so much. How exactly are they not versatile?
I’d say it’s because they allow teams time on the ball as opposed to teams like us an City who dominate the ball and use it to open spaces. When Tottenham parked the bus against them they looked in all sorts of trouble. So much so that they attempted 69 crosses over the 2 legs. If you control that area of their game you’re shoe in to hassle them.

I really wouldn’t describe Real Madrid as versatile. They have weapons yes but like all teams they play to their strengths.

khaled_a_d

I don't believe for a single second we need a 4th CB. Not a single one. It will only be 2 or 3 games out of the entire season where we'll be forced to use a 4th choice CB and in such cases Digne has shown he can easily slot in against weaker La Liga sides. Our 4th CB traditionally sees little to no playing time as it is. Vermaelen had it this season. Mathieu had it in the past. Bartra had it before them. Mina has it now.

Why do we "Need" a player who absolutely never plays? What's the point of wasting a precious non-EU spot for such a player? If we need some kid with potential to ride the bench we can easily have Cuenca do the job. Maybe if Valverde cared about giving Mina minutes when we could afford to you'd have a case but the fact is Valverde cares less about giving Mina minutes than he does Barca B players.

And no matter how much the club invested in Paulinho, if he continues to underperform in such a shocking manner, they're unlikely going to choose to keep him over bringing in the latest shiny new toy. I just don't see it happening.

You can believe whatever you want, but Roberto already said that we need 4 CB and it is risky to have 3 and injury prone Vermaelen. There is no way he will make it 2 and their 3rd is Vermaelen
So for decision makers, we absolutly need 4th CB and we need Mina.

Late Edit: Roberto Fernandez will not renew, although I doubt the club will ever dare to think we should just have Vermaelen-Pique-Umtiti in CB

Last edited:

mampilly

You can believe whatever you want, but Roberto already said that we need 4 CB and it is risky to have 3 and injury prone Vermaelen. There is no way he will make it 2 and their 3rd is Vermaelen

but we will sell aomeone and will buy another cb

xXKonan

According to UOL.

We payed 4 million in total for Arthur right now and we will play a additional 16 million in July to activate clause and we will play an additional 10 million once he arrives in Barcelona.

All 3 payments in 3 installments which the club was wanting all along I guess.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Sounds good. I think it is not bad that he is staying in Brazil for one more year. Time to develop there and come here in winter without pressure.
We can ease him in and count on him from summer 2019 on.

God Serena

Late Edit: Roberto Fernandez will not renew, although I doubt the club will ever dare to think we should just have Vermaelen-Pique-Umtiti in CB

Those three are fine as CB options. 4th choice can easily be filled by a B team player the same way 3rd choice goalkeeper can.

JamDav1982

Those three are fine as CB options. 4th choice can easily be filled by a B team player the same way 3rd choice goalkeeper can.

It is not really the same though as third choice keeper. Especially if one of the three is injury prone.

Ideally would have a b player as well as someone that could cover CB as second position if not going with 4 CBs.

God Serena

It is not really the same though as third choice keeper. Especially if one of the three is injury prone.

Ideally would have a b player as well as someone that could cover CB as second position if not going with 4 CBs.

Digne can cover for CB. He played better than Mina did in that game against Getafe(?).

Home of Barca Fans