Arthur

Pepe Silvia

Valverde's first instinct will always be to play Rakitic over him. It's just how he is as a manager. He'd always choose the safer player, even at the expense of losing creativity and fluidity. To play as a starter, Arthur has to play at a great level. It's not enough to play very well. He has to play a lot better than Rakitic and force Valverde's hand in this.
I think it has to do with Arthur's age and easing him into La Liga style football. Also, it is Rakitic's last year probably at a high level, so squeezing every ounce of high level football from the Croat is a smart move.

Arthur will be a mainstay in our XI for years to come. I think we all should look at the big picture, glass half full and what have you.

Pepe Silvia

Valverde on Arthur after the game:

“Creo que puede jugar como titular en cualquier momento. Hoy podía haberlo hecho aunque opté por dar continuidad al anterior equipo. Sabe perfectamente cómo jugamos, vienen varios partidos seguidos y tendrá sus opciones”.

"I believe he can be a starter at any given time. Today I could have started him but I opted to give the team a bit of continuity. He knows how we play perfectly and there will be a lot of games and we'll have options"

Something like that.

I think he will be starting a game or two soon.
This perfectly sums up what I said, and it's coming from the boss man himself. He is only 22 guys, we have to remember development takes time and patience. As fans, sometimes we expect performance immediately. Coaches see them and speak to them every day.

Not saying Arthur isn't 'capable' of starting immediately either... afterall, he was MOTM in Libertadores Final. But this is a whole nother level.

EdmondDantes

He will start vs Girona.

I wouldn't be so sure. I read on MD this morning that Arthur trained apart from the group today - implying that he might have picked up a knock thus going from almost sure starter vs Girona to a doubt to even making the squad.

I haven't checked it since though. Not aware of any updates.

Pepe Silvia

Does age matter when the player is performing well? How old is Asensio, Leroy Sane, Mbappe, GJ, Naby Keita, Houssem Aouar etc.?
Who is ahead of Asensio in the pecking order? Arthur has to pay his dues and has Rakitic ahead of him. Let's not make something out of this when there is nothing there. He will be fine.

serghei

Who is ahead of Asensio in the pecking order? Arthur has to pay his dues and has Rakitic ahead of him. Let's not make something out of this when there is nothing there. He will be fine.

A team cannot win the CL without 14 starters at least. We should have the first eleven + Arthur, Vidal, Malcom and Lenglet. Maybe Semedo too if he steps up. These players need, until february-march, to have many games checked as starters or else we'll complain that they aren't stepping up when needed.

First we need to integrate them properly, play them, give them full games, and only then we can expect them to get the job done when needed.

So far, all three have barely played. No time to lose. CL knockout rounds will come soon.

Arthur for example needs to be brought up to a level that is good enough for a CL quarter or semifinal. Injuries and suspension will happen. Even if you consider Rakitic as a sure starter, if something happens with him, then Arthur will need to start. And if you haven't made sure he is very well in rythm and accustomed to top games, then you'll suffer a massive drop in quality.

Madrid played vs PSG away in the last 16 with Kovacic, Asensio, and Vazquez. Neither Kroos or Modric played, their two starters in CM. We need to be able to do the same at any point almost. We should be able to play Arthur + Vidal in such a game and suffer a very small loss in quality if at all. That's on Valverde to make sure it happens.

Vidal and Arthur are probably better players than Kovacic and Vazquez, so it is just a matter of skill from the manager in charge to get his team management decisions spot on.

Last edited:

Arnaez

Arthur is not nearly as talented as you think and hasn't even made a serious contribution, to just assume he can be brought up to "CL semi final level" this year is typical overhyping. I'll say Kovacic was better at his age.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans