Arthur

gasgas

Guess who the joke is on for obviously understating Busquet's contributions just to fit your simpleton narrative?

You conveniently left out creative low through passes, occasional creative dribbles, accurate long creative passes, rigorous defense.

Nice try, you will get there someday.

You call Busquet's defensive play rigorous? :lol:

Rory

Absolutely loved the way he was constantly seeking the ball even in positions where pressure would be applied to him straight away. He then had the technical capabilities to receive the ball and make a pass keeping the passes ticking. I also liked how he was receiving the ball in between the lines of their defence and midfield. Sure he didn’t do amazingly well or anything but if Lenglet doesn’t get sent off and we don’t concede as a result it would have been a totally different game and score line. Feel like people are taking the bad result out on players who had nothing to do with conceding 2 shitty goals.

BBZ8800

Vidal vs Arthur yesterday.

Even though he is sloppy and doesn't know where to run/move yet in our system, in this moment (imo) he is way more useful than Arthur.

Vidal usually releases the ball within 1 to 3 touches, and most of the time it is 2 touches: receive the ball and pass the ball right away.
Which is speeding up our play and transition.

On the other hand, our slow-motion movie named Arthur, too often needs 5-10 touches, hogs the ball for 5-10 seconds, looking all round him, estimating all possible passing options and every single time chooses the safest backpass option even though he has hold the ball for 7-8 seconds for no apparent reason.

Now, check the speed of play, speed of releasing the ball between Vidal and Arthur, and a number of forward/more risky passes between those two.
I know, they don't play the same role.
There is no video for Busquets from yesterday, but I guess that even he is way faster on the ball than Arthur and plays way more forward passes and NOT to the closest guy every single time:

BusiTheKing

Even though he is sloppy and doesn't know where to run/move yet in our system, in this moment (imo) he is way more useful than Arthur.

Vidal usually releases the ball within 1 to 3 touches, and most of the time it is 2 touches: receive the ball and pass the ball right away.

On the other hand, our slow-motion movie named Arthur, too often needs 5-10 touches, hogs the ball for 5-10 seconds, looking all round him, estimating all possible passing options and every single time chooses the safest backpass option even though he has hold the ball for 7-8 seconds for no apparent reason.

Now, check the speed of play, speed of releasing the ball between Vidal and Arthur, and a number of forward/more risky passes between those two.
There is no video for Busquets from yesterday, but I guess that even he is way faster on the ball than Arthur and plays way more forward passes and NOT to the closest guy every single time:

I disagree strongly. Arthur takes more touches, but everytime I see him do that, it's to traverse his area looking for a better place to switch the ball to than the immediate available options - in other words exactly what you ask for.

On one hand you're asking him to play more forward passes, fair enough, but how the fuck is he supposed to do that if he's not allowed to take a few seconds to look for those passes? It's not like there's a plethora of open lanes through the opponents lines with our current movement.

So yeah, he takes a few seconds and moves around a bit to see if anything opens up and gives a little time for his teammates to make runs. Not to iterate the pointless comparison, but that's exactly how Xavi played. He would move a lot with the ball, back and forth in his area, turning multiple times looking for opportunities and waiting for runs.

Now, if this meant declining on open progressive passes or not giving it to a teammate who was in a better position to look for forward passes, then of course that's an issue, but I really don't see how that's the case.

ASordidGod

Thought he was encouraging myself. Composed on the ball, always willing to receive it even under pressure, plus tenacious without, won possession back well. Definitely he needs to be more progressive long term, and personally I'd like to see him break forward with the ball more, but for a first start in the league, yeah, like I say encouraging.

FinBarcelonafan

Look at that Arthur video. How the hell do you expect him to make forward passes when the forwards are standing behind Girona defense?! Our movement is garbage. Messi and Suarez needs to make themselves more available. It's too easy for opponent when our players are just standing there..

Lack of movement is a huge problem for this team.

gasgas

Look at that Arthur video. How the hell do you expect him to make forward passes when the forwards are standing behind Girona defense?! Our movement is garbage. Messi and Suarez needs to make themselves more available. It's too easy for opponent when our players are just standing there..

even if they made the movement arthur would still pass to pique

BBZ8800

There are 2 facts which are problematic:
1. Coutinho plays with the same Barca's teammates. He is able to make forward passes even though "nobody moves".
The same applies to Dembele, Messi, Busquets, Vidal, even Rakitic.
2. Arthur plays equally the same for Barca, Brasil, Gremio.
So:
1) either forwards are not moving in any of those 3 teams
2) or this is just his DNA, his style of play

I am dead serious now, Arthur is for me the weirdest Barca's midfielder which I have seen, together with other strange dudes:
1. Fabio Rochemback, who was too dumb for our passing game
2. Riquelme, who tried a killer pass in ever single pass, lol. He couldn't calm down and make a simple sideway pass in any action.
3. Andre Gomes, who is not a football player.

Arthur has some nice skills in some areas, but his forward passing game till now in his career is extremely strange and counter-intuitive for the most attacking team in the world (Barcelona), for my taste.
I have said before, I think that he would suit more to Ac Milan, Inter Milan, Roma, Lazio and similar Italian-slow moving teams.
He would be eaten alive in EPL, for example.

Last edited:

Joan

People say: he has no forward options. And they can post pictures which prove that. But, that's what you get after 5-10 seconds of scanning. What usually happens, he gets the ball in good positions, lots of space around him, some forward options - then he decides to hog the ball and run in place (1) letting opposition close down forward options and (2) inviting pressure on himself. Sometimes he manages to run away from pressure, other times he loses the ball (for example: 3:20 of the video you posted). I suppose: in Brazil things were more static so he could BOTH scan his options and pass the ball. Not here. Players will close you down and tightly marked teammates are not good choices no matter how they move. So: it's not only movement. Another indicator: how come Vidal (who might be less skillful with the ball) doesn't struggle with picking forward passes? I like what Arthur has to offer but he needs to do 'his thing' (meaning scanning, estimating options) quicker and while on the move, NOT after he receives the ball for additional 5-7 seconds.

xXKonan

Give the guy a chance, absolutely ridiculous stuff on here
There's some legit criticism to be made but there's also BBZ who is pretty desperate for Arthur to have bad games so he can keep shitting on him.

It's not about Arthur's ability in this regard it's just BBZ not liking Arthur because of everyone else seems to like him.

Home of Barca Fans