Arthur

serghei

I'd rest him in the CL vs Slavia and would try a 4-2-3-1 with De Jong and Vidal double pivot. All 4 in front.

EdmondDantes

Started sloppy, but got better after his brilliant assist for Messi.

One fuck-up in the first half, great pressing in the second. I thought he should have stayed on since he was still full of running and our midfield fell off a cliff after and he Busquets went off.

7.3 on Sofascore which is fair I suppose.

serghei

I don't like his new role. He should be doing build-up. I don't give a shit he made an assist and contributed to little else all game. The game was that chaotic because players who should be doing the construction phase of the game are instead used in an attacking role.

What the fuck happened to our possession game.

Possession in this game was 53-47. Passes completed 442 - 483. :lol: Tragic.

The players who should allow us to control the game are crippled by the incompetent clown we have as a manager.

Last edited:

PhilS

Great assist! But, playing as default DM for most of this game, he was not too good doing that job. To his credit, he did go all the way back to take the DM role advancing the ball, he was trying. De Jong participated less. How did Busquets manage to hide for pretty much the entire game?

EdmondDantes

I don't like his new role. He should be doing build-up. I don't give a shit he made an assist and contributed to little else all game. The game was that chaotic because players who should be doing the construction phase of the game are instead used in an attacking role.

The players who should allow us to control the game are crippled by the incompetent clown we have as a manager.

I prefer both De Jong and Arthur as controllers as well.

But Valverde said from the get go this season, 'the interiors/CMs will play further forward this season - and I expect them to get more goals and assists' when asked about Arthur stats away to Osasuna.

We lose in control and ability to build from the back - hence we're seeing a lot of long punts from Marc and Lenglet, and when we try to play from the back, there's not enough support (players to do it) and movement up front.

But if they don't do as well the manager tells them, off the team they go.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead

Valverde did the same stuff he did against Eibar, they played high line so we played faster counter attacking football, it worked that time, but against Slavia it was backfiring horribly, he should have switched to more possession based football, but instead, he was standing and watching Ter Stegen working hard.

serghei

I prefer both De Jong and Arthur as controllers as well.

But Valverde said from the get go this season, 'the interiors/CMs will play further forward this season - and I expect them to get more goals and assists' when asked about Arthur stats away to Osasuna.

We lose in control and ability to build from the back - hence we're seeing a lot of long punts from Marc and Lenglet, and when we try to play from the back, there's not enough support (players to do it) and movement up front.

But if they don't do as well the manager tells them, off the team they go.

Hence why he is tactically inept. Who's gonna provide quality service in the CM area if both his midfielders are so high up waiting for service?

Riordon

Playing CM’s high is a very effective move against deep blocks. Pep does it all the time. He plays D.Silva and De Bruyne really high. The problem is Arthur is not that type of player, he is quite slow and can’t run the channels. Puiq fits that role better.

We should try Arthur as a dm.

Riordon

Hes not a DM.

Why not? Can’t play one touches in the final third, can’t break lines with his carry, don’t have the long balls, can’t press intensely for 90m like Frenkie, not good off ball movement.

He is a good short passer and press resistant though.

This sounds exactly like a DM.

Arthur has played DM or in a double pivot all his life. Why do you want to change it?

Last edited:

aqua2nd

Why not? Can’t play one touches in the final third, can’t break lines with his carry, don’t have the long balls, can’t press intensely for 90m like Frenkie, not good off ball movement.

He is a good short passer and press resistant though.

This sounds exactly like a DM.

Arthur has played DM or in a double pivot all his life. Why do you want to change it?

LOL it sounds like you described a very limited player not one of our top midfielder this season

I don't like to use stats like BBZ but if you have some time you can check the Sofascore stats for both Arthur and De Jong
https://www.sofascore.com/player/frenkie-de-jong/795222
https://www.sofascore.com/player/arthur/794927

In both La Liga and UCL, Arthur has better output in many stats like goal, assist, key pass, dribble, duels won, big chances created
And surprisingly both of them have quite similar long ball stats
Of course, the stats alone doesn't fully give us the full picture of two players but Arthur isn't as limited and much inferior to De Jong as you always think

Last edited:

Riordon

LOL it sounds like you described a very limited player not one of our top midfielder this season

I don't like to use stats like BBZ but if you have some time you can check the Sofascore stats for both Arthur and De Jong
https://www.sofascore.com/player/frenkie-de-jong/795222
https://www.sofascore.com/player/arthur/794927

In both La Liga and UCL, Arthur has better output in many stats like goal, assist, key pass, long ball, dribble, duels won, big chances created
Of course, the stats alone doesn't fully give us the full picture of two players but Arthur isn't limited and much inferior to De Jong as you always think

Let’s evaluate at the end of the season.

There is a reason Frenkie is placed on the right. He does all the dirty work Messi doesn’t, run up and down the pitch constantly having to provide runs in behind. But stats don’t show this. But everyone know that if Arthur is placed there he is going to get overran.

But let’s see at the end of the season. And let’s see after the big games in the CL. Arthur already looks tired

Last edited:

JohnN

He looks leaner and more dynamic than last season. He also played international games and didn't rest at all. One should wonder though, why did our midfield collapse when he was subbed off.

Riordon

He looks leaner and more dynamic than last season. He also played international games and didn't rest at all. One should wonder though, why did our midfield collapse when he was subbed off.

People are comparing him to Xavi who could play 60+ games a season and still run 14 km a game. This is basically a criteria for being an elite player. Kroos, Modric, De Bruyne and so on. They play a shitload of games.

It’s so worrying that a 23 year old Arthur already look tired in October.

Home of Barca Fans