Arthur

Arizona Scott

...Think there's a reason why Valverde persists in using Arthur as a starter even if his form dipped a bit. He provides something the other CMs we have don't and that's pure control, and that helps out Busi, Rakitic, Vidal, etc.

I completely agree.

Truth is it has been settled for a while our starting midfield when fresh for a big game is Arthur, Rakitic & Busi. Yes some of them have had off games but it is the best combination and to his credit EV stuck to them.

Arturo makes a ideal 60-70 minute sub, he isn't as precise as the others in his passing, but is a burst of energy, passion and effort and that can really help team morale IMO. He doesn't suck in all around skills and passing either, just not to the other 3 level in precision. Roberto isn't as good as the starting 3 either in midfield, but is an excellent all around 5th option. Even Coutinho can be a wildcard in the midfield as we have occasionally seen with Messi-Dembele-Suarez but it really only makes sense to try it if the other 3 are fresh and ready to go and needed for one match--and that has been rare.

We are already loaded and don't even have De Jong yet.

Last edited:

fergus90

Nothing fanboyish about Porque's post at all.

The funny thing is during the 14/15 Season there were arguments and moments that showed Xavi, being a better CM partner to Rakitic than Iniesta was at the time. Problem was Xavi was 34/35 years old while Iniesta not exactly young himself but still had some legs on him.

Think there's a reason why Valverde persists in using Arthur as a starter even if his form dipped a bit. He provides something the other CMs we have don't and that's pure control, and that helps out Busi, Rakitic, Vidal, etc.

Very true, I could remember a lot of people calling for Xavi to play as he was performing better then Iniesta in a lot of games that season. 14/15 was a great squad, all we really needed was one cm to replace Xavi for 15/16 but the transfer ban and Arda Turan happened and the rest is history as they say.

serghei

In like 80% of his actions in that video he got applauded by the cules on Camp Nou. Quite odd to get so many ovations for a bunch of back passes.

Zidane82

In like 80% of his actions in that video he got applauded by the cules on Camp Nou. Quite odd to get so many ovations for a bunch of back passes.

I love Arthur , he passes backwards on occasion then moves to receive the ball back in a better position.. just lending the ball temporarily.
That’s far more effective than Raki who normally controls the ball , slows the play down , passes back to Pique ( sometimes Busqs) but then goes and hides away ..

MTL_Barca

People love him because he looks like the barca style just fits his natural playstyle so much and that's quite rare these days even in our squad. Keeping possession like that under pressure seems easy but it's really not and after all these failed attempts to strengthen our midfield it's just nice to see someone that looks like he belongs here 100%.

That was honestly really good scouting on our part. We got exactly what we needed pretty much since Xavi left and we found him in Brazil for what now seems like a cheap fee of not even 40M.

No need to hype him up to top 3 midfielder or cheer him for every single pass, that's a pointless discussion anyway but for us he is a really good addition.

abiabi

first season in europe (without vacation), coming from a totally ruptured ankle ligament and surgery. overall a very very positive season lmao. to suggest otherwise is crazy. next season he will be our 2nd best player i bet

khaled_a_d

He needs to be a bit more greedy when choosing shooting vs passing. Sometimes the right decision is actually to shoot the ball and not to pass it

Valdario

He's a good asset for us in many ways. I wonder what he'll be like in 4-5 years of playing with the best. He's still shy and won't risk in certain situations, but I guess that will change in years to come and it can only get better from where he is right now.

Home of Barca Fans