Arthur

Jcar

It seens that Gremio already has the "new Arthur" :lol: Matheus Henrique whom is 20 years old. He is still a sub, but has talent.

[youtube]IS9MZ42AWos[/youtube]

And for what i saw, Bobsin (also from Grêmio) could be the new Busquets :lol: He is 18 years old. Still play for the youth team. I like him more than Matheus Henrique.

[youtube]EmKqHBSDx7w[/youtube]

Damn Grêmio.

Last edited:

gasgas

So many twists and turns that end up with a sidepass/backpass.
Great talent right there as many would say.
i am yet to be convinced

Raki13

Another boring player who knows how to pass sideways or backwards. Think the problem here once again is this useless manager , hes being told to play that way.

Moe

powered by;
Are people seriously labelling him boring because he's trying to control tempo and dictate play :lol:

I don't know if this guy will turn out a world class midfielder, but I'm really impressed with what I have seen.

gasgas

He ignores runs and when he finally decides to pasw to the runner, the pass is abysmal.

He is poor with longballs, holds on to the ball too long and ends up passing back to Busquets or the CBs,

i gave him a pass against Tottenham because the pace of the game was faster but today, we were super slow.
i don't even remember a single chance we created last night, just side n back passing

gasgas

Are people seriously labelling him boring because he's trying to control tempo and dictate play :lol:

I don't know if this guy will turn out a world class midfielder, but I'm really impressed with what I have seen.

to control means you can either speed it up or down.

Arthur is a default "down"

Last edited:

Jombi

I think Arthur suffers from sky high expectations. This whole "new Xavi" thing is ridiculous. There are world class players and then there are players like Xavi and Iniesta who are on a different level than world class.

Arthur is clearly a much better signing than donkeys like Gomes, Arda and Paulinho who got plenty of chances and praise and patience from people.

Kul_z

I think Arthur suffers from sky high expectations. This whole "new Xavi" thing is ridiculous. There are world class players and then there are players like Xavi and Iniesta who are on a different level than world class.

Arthur is clearly a much better signing than donkeys like Gomes, Arda and Paulinho who got plenty of chances and praise and patience from people.
I agree. Players like xavi, iniesta in their prime were goats in their positions. Arthur clearly have a long journey, but from what i saw im optimistic, great addition to the team. I'm just worried with how things with ev would work out

Felipetonelo

I think he showed more yesterday. He made more forward passes to Alba, Coutinho and Messi, made a couple of feints and dribbles to go forward, used more his agility to beat his marker, tried 2 through ball. He's getting there. Arthur needs more confidence, gametime, understanding of Barca's style, a experienced player (maybe Busquets) to help him in direct/through forward passes, a less coward manager.

Teammates need to move more too. As I said before, at Gremio Luan is running 10,5km/11km per game, Messi runs 7,5km. Everton (brazil NT) covers a huge space in the left side, Alisson runs up and down on the right side. Barca has Coutinho left side, nobody on the right side, Suarez and Messi not moving, Alba only runs when Messi has the ball, Semedo is the one making several runs, but he doesn't get the ball. So, there are a lot of players not moving, something that doesn't help Arthur.

This discussion about sidepasses, shortpasses are so boring. Barca plays this kind of football since ever. 99% of the players in the world makes more back and sidepasses than forward passes. For anyone that watches City games, they're passing the ball forward, back, side, switch the play, back, side, forward. It's City principles of game, like Barca has their own. The intention is not to always go forward, but to keep the ball and choose the best side to attack. If you need to choose the best side, you can't just go forward.

Also, comparing Arthur to Xavi/Iniesta/even Modric are equally or more boring. Xavi/Iniesta/Modric/ are world cup, euro, champions league winners. Xavi/Iniesta were fighting against Messi to win best player in the world, Modric just won the best player and is probably the best CM in the last 3/4 years. Arthur is a very good player, a promising one, won libertadores and copa do brasil, 22 years old, NT squad, but he's not Xavi, Iniesta. He has a set of skills that are similar to Xavi/Iniesta, he has a similar style, but the comparison stops there. It's stupid as comparing Messi to Mbappe, Halilovic, Dembele or anyone. Players can have similar styles, but that doesn't say anything about their qualities/skills.

BBZ8800

This discussion about sidepasses, shortpasses are so boring. Barca plays this kind of football since ever. 99% of the players in the world makes more back and sidepasses than forward passes. For anyone that watches City games, they're passing the ball forward, back, side, switch the play, back, side, forward. It's City principles of game, like Barca has their own. The intention is not to always go forward, but to keep the ball and choose the best side to attack. If you need to choose the best side, you can't just go forward.

About how Barca played that type of football since EVER, I don't agree.
Imo, we played something like 70% of possession and 30% direct, crosses, long balls during our 110 years before Pep.
Then Pep came and turned into something close to 99% shortpasses and 1% crosses, longballs and others.

So, Barca always played a possession based, attacking football.
But it was different to Pep's football.
Pep turned Barca's classical possession based game into extremes.

A good thing is: it worked for 4-5 years for Spain and Barca.
After that it stopped working, but neither Barca or Spain (or Lopetegui lol) moved too much from 2010's era.

Anyway, I personally don't like when people say: Pep's football is Barca's classical football, because it is NOT.
That is the most successful version of our football, but not a type of football which we played for 110 years.

For example, Rijkaard's Barca from 2004-05, look at the actions and goals: no parked buses (since we played faster and not allowing the opponents to park buses), lots of counters, lots of crosses and headers, lots of long balls to wingers or Etoo, lots of long range attempts:

Quite different football to the one which we are watching after Pep, right?
To some extent, how we played back then is closer to how Real Madrid won 4 CLs in the last 5 years: technical possession based football with lots of counters, crosses and long balls.
And not relying ONLY on slow and predictable shortpasses.

Also, Van Gaal's Barca from 20 years ago. Quite similar: possession, 1-2s, solo actions, lots of crosses, lots of longballs.
Not playing possession for the sake of possession, like current Spain, Arsenal and Barca:

** Anyway, this reply is not about Arthur.
I am just strongly disagreeing that Barca has ALWAYS played like under Pep and like in post-Pep's era.

Pep brought a lot of good things, obviously, but also ruined some other things like crosses, long balls, headers, counters due to his possession style, due to our players getting used to that philosophy and now we are struggling to turn the page.

Also, comparing Arthur to Xavi/Iniesta/even Modric are equally or more boring. Xavi/Iniesta/Modric/ are world cup, euro, champions league winners. Xavi/Iniesta were fighting against Messi to win best player in the world, Modric just won the best player and is probably the best CM in the last 3/4 years. Arthur is a very good player, a promising one, won libertadores and copa do brasil, 22 years old, NT squad, but he's not Xavi, Iniesta. He has a set of skills that are similar to Xavi/Iniesta, he has a similar style, but the comparison stops there. It's stupid as comparing Messi to Mbappe, Halilovic, Dembele or anyone. Players can have similar styles, but that doesn't say anything about their qualities/skills.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

mc_lovin

you completely ignore in your more direct football-->less parked busses theory, that teams today are tactically much better and physically much more maxed out. Even Zidanes almighty Madrid with a combination of physicality and technique had problems vs defensive la liga teams.

khaled_a_d

you completely ignore in your more direct football-->less parked busses theory, that teams today are tactically much better and physically much more maxed out. Even Zidanes almighty Madrid with a combination of physicality and technique had problems vs defensive la liga teams.

Which needs more quick and direct playing, Arthur still doesn't have that. Hopefully he will get it soon.

Are you kidding? Arthur already got more praises than those 3 combined, all 3 were hated to the guts from everyone almost instantly.
Paulinho get few weeks of non-hate but that is it, Gomes and Arda had people hopeful when they signed just like Arthur (or any new signing)
And non of them was wanted to be starter by the fans unlike Arthur, which raises the bar significantly for him.
He is doing a solid job so far but considering we are in crisis and not rebuilding either it is normal that people will be demanding from him

Home of Barca Fans