Arthur

Felipetonelo

Not judging anyone, but some of you need to calm down, watch some Netflix and relax. I remember reading this forum years ago and people complaining about not having a player able to keep the ball under pressure and play it, since Xavi's departure. Several players tried to play in Barca's midfield, 99% probably failed, most or all of them were playing in europe or in top competitions, but Arthur is supposed to come from Brazil and play around 100 official minutes and be a Xavi type of player giving assists here and there.

Just relax! There weren't many options available in the market (someone will come with a player that costs 200 milion and will say that was a better option).

I remember reading in Neymar's, Coutinho and Dembele's forum about them trying too much risk things and losing ball after ball. Now you have a player that never loses it and is still a problem. Of course, we all want the perfect balance between trying risk plays and not losing the ball too much, but relax. Barca was the team that gave Gomes 2 years and lots of games to show some kind of football, and here we are.

And BBZ, comparing a 22 year old Xavi with 22 year old Arthur is so wrong, I can't believe you really watch football these days. It's so wrong as comparing a 22 year old Messi (best player in the world with 22) with Dembele, Mbappe or anyone. Both Messi and Xavi will always be better than 99% of the players at the same age.

i_bleed_blaugrana

In terms of comparing him to Xavi, take a look at Xavi's debut season with the first team then judge Arthur. Besides, Xavi was so talented even being like 70% of the player he is is pretty much world class. Point is it's silly to try and judge Arthur at his level and even should he not turn into a carbon-copy of Xavi, he can still be a success here.

To be clear, we are talking about arguably the best box-to-box MF of all time. If we place those sort of expectations on him, he is doomed to fail here. Let Arthur be Arthur and lets judge him based on what he brings to this team right now.

The penetrative, splitting passes will come. Took a while but Coutinho is figuring it out here, he will too. I see them as perfect foils to each other over the next few years in MF.

Lets wait and see until he's had a couple starts. Way too soon to be analyzing him, especially since most of his minutes have come in the preseason thus far.

Gnidrologist

Fine. At the end of a day, I still don't think that he is good enough, based on what he is offering for now.
A lot of players aren't good enough after joining new club of grand stature as a young foreign players.
The unique thing about A's situation is that we don't have a single midfielder of his profile, only ACM/AMs, slow Rakitici, who couldn't find space for himself, let alone others in a grand canyon and slow Busi, who has been our best controlling mid since Xavi left. It doesn't mean he should necessary succeeded, but he definitely need to feature a lot in this season to even check that out.

clemente

Because according to this forum, if you pass to a teammate that is another midfielder, instead of your striker, you are absolutely useless and will never make it here.

Felipetonelo

From highlights:

14 back passes
18 side passes
29 forward passes
4/6 long balls
17 in Brazil half
44 in opposite half
5 interceptions
3 dribbles

Gnidrologist

I actually was mad enough to watch the whole match (started at 3.30 AM my time). Impressions - think he played absolutely perfect match.
You have to understand that this Brazil lineup was chock full of incredible attacking power in the faces of Nyemar, Coutinho (who both were linking up among themselves like mad) and Douglas Costa, Richarlison, who both were monsters (that Rucharlison guy - how did he end up in Everton and not premium club?). He stayed also a share of time in the second half, when Villian, Paqueta and some other less known, but mostly attackers were subbed in.

What impressed me is how great his movement is off the ball, both defensively and when in possession. He seems to have really gotten some clues from Xavi in how to constantly be on the move so as to appear in the right time in the right place to release the pressure from the teammate, who either is pressed hard or doesn't know what to do with the ball. In defense, he is a pressing monster and had quite a few key interceptions and tackles after which he easily retained the ball by dragging the markers by their noses and either passed it further or drawn foul. He's very gritty, quick and always on the move. Have some workhorse genes in him.

Now the safe passing meme is just bullshit. He really does pick his passes with scrutiny, not just because it looks interesting. Don't remember him being dispossessed or misspassed once, except for couple of long balls. The thing is he doesn't just safe-pass to the guy that is nearest to him like young Roberto and other shysters, he constantly makes these turns and looks around, where is the more space and what would be most optimal solution for continuation. He did some sharp forwarded passes and even darting runs, which where perfectly calculated and composed. It was obvious that his teammates trusted him to find the ways for transition. He was perfect pivot for a team that has insanly attacking minded forwards and meh defenders (except Marcinhyos), providing the balance and and transitioning. Very calming effect on the team i think.

Admittedly i'm maybe too optimistic and Salvador is a shitty team. So let's hear a tome of BBZ's greatest works now. :)

Home of Barca Fans