Arthur

Neeraj

If it were me, I'd use the Copa as a test competition for all my new/youth players, and put them in the starting XI, right up to the final, and see how they do against better opposition and with some pressure.

We've won the damn thing 4 years in a row, but at a significant price. I wouldn't give two hoots about losing Copa if our young players and new signings are the better for it.

wisconsincule

That's putting it mildly. He came in as the super youth focused coach and nobody would stfu about it but when he actually took charge he actively went out of his way not to use them to the point that it was downright comical. Strong XI's against 3rd tier Copa teams, 0 B players in dead rubber games, Alena and Dembele on the bench while Vidal comes on as the 3rd sub in a squash...

And now the entire process is starting over again.

Team CUT Valverdes head off??

clemente

Yes, EV is probably the worst manager to develop youth, its scary that he might ruin Dembele, Arthur, Alena. He's done enough damage to Semedo already

GOAT_SUAREZ

Yes, EV is probably the worst manager to develop youth, its scary that he might ruin Dembele, Arthur, Alena. He's done enough damage to Semedo already

Don't think he is the worst manager for that, he was just in a tough spot last summer. Lets see what happens this year

JamDav1982

Aye really hurt young players like Ter Stegen and Umititi didnt he?

Semedo played a lot and across the season was not as good as Roberto. Simple.

God Serena

Aye really hurt young players like Ter Stegen and Umititi didnt he?

Semedo played a lot and across the season was not as good as Roberto. Simple.

Mats is 26 and Umtiti is 24. Both secured starters prior to Valverde even coming to the club.

"Young players"...

JamDav1982

Mats is 26 and Umtiti is 24. Both secured starters prior to Valverde even coming to the club.

"Young players"...

Semedo is 24 and both Umtiti and Ter Stegen as players in roughly same age bracket had their best season.

The reason Semedo never played more was because of his performances.

Andrew M

Plenty of young payers came through at Athletic under him as they were good enough to start. He plays who he thinks is good enough. Valverde is not thinking about 5 years time, he is thinking of the next match. The board should take the long view but Valverde knows he will be gone in max 2 years probably.

Neeraj

Plenty of young payers came through at Athletic under him as they were good enough to start. He plays who he thinks is good enough. Valverde is not thinking about 5 years time, he is thinking of the next match. The board should take the long view but Valverde knows he will be gone in max 2 years probably.

And the fact that Valverde thought Gomes was good enough tells us everything we need to know about him. It's crazy how ONE decision in ONE match can encapsulate the gross incompetence of a manager so succinctly.

JamDav1982

And the fact that Valverde thought Gomes was good enough tells us everything we need to know about him. It's crazy how ONE decision in ONE match can encapsulate the gross incompetence of a manager so succinctly.

It doesnt and all managers make mistakes with players.

Every single one of them.

Neeraj

It doesnt and all managers make mistakes with players.

Every single one of them.

You can't possibly be defending Valverde. Are you freaking kidding me? I'm not saying that one decision is WHY he's a bad manager. I'm saying it encapsulates his shittyness beautifully.

The kind of match Valverde had against Roma, and then to make Gomes your first sub - that isn't a mistake. That is an abomination. A sack-able one.

clemente

Its been said many times but EV just has no balls, Roma game was the perfect example of how little mentallity he has, safe approach every time, boring football and no respect to youth development, he Vidal will play over Dembele because he is older and has more experience.

Home of Barca Fans