CL | Round 1: FC Barcelona - Juventus 3-0

eaman

Great result. Not a great first half but very good second. The midfield improved in the second and of course messi was the main man again. I really hope that is not dembeles level of passing. Maybe it was just one of those days for him. Defence did well throughout and kept Juve to only a few half chances

Sasuke85

The result was great, but we relied too much on Messi. Without him, this team is nothing I believe.

I cannot recognize Suarez anymore. Now he's just the shadow of his past.

Dembele definitely needs more time to adapt. I expect a lot more from him.

Nucky

Juve were missing some players but yesterday we showed them who is boss.. But I agree we rely on Messi too much, must work as a team, not one man army. Don't blame Suarez for bad form, he just returned from injury. Dembele was solid, needs time to adopt.

draconifire

Traditions that I started are paying off. :pAs Tevye, from “Fidler on the Roof” said:

“Traditions…Traditions…Traditions…

Traditions. Without our traditions, our lives would be as shaky as... as a fiddler on the roof!" :thumbsup:

Barça 3 - Juve Zip, Nada, Niente...Happy days are again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH01FhqMdc8

PS: I won’t be here for the next two games. I’m going on a 7-day cruise to Alaska. I’ll be back the 24th of this month. See you then! Visca Barça, Carajo!! :barcaflag:

Will it be ok if I continue your tradition until you come? :p

utility73

Great result, performance not so much. Gave away way too many turnovers in attack yet good individual defensive performance could contain their counter attacks mostly. Not that different to the game we lost 3:0 at their home last season. This time around we converted our chances and they didn‘t, though.

Last edited:

Adversus

HAPPY about the win. One thing we hopefully Change soon, is the Front three formation. In my openion to Player suarez on the Wings is holy shit ... and that Luis left leo in the middle and ousman on the right is a crazy shit, Do you agree?

In practice was it not closer to a diamond and Dembele and Suarez were the two CFs with Messi behind with the width coming from the fullbacks.

It's not a bad formation but I suspect Iniesta will struggle because it will require him to cover a lot of distance when Barca don't have the ball which in fairness isn't often.

Messi is bound to be delighted.

However it will be interesting what happens when Barca play someone like Real Madrid. Bale and Ronaldo will probably terrorise the wings with no wingers coming back to help their fullbacks.

kilian

However it will be interesting what happens when Barca play someone like Real Madrid. Bale and Ronaldo will probably terrorise the wings with no wingers coming back to help their fullbacks.

Yeah, teams shit their pants when they see Bale in his current form.

FC433

[tw]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rakitić finally playing as a CM again and not as a Right wingback, midfield closer together and Suárez/Dembélé creating space for Messi <a href="https://t.co/UHknmsxS85">pic.twitter.com/UHknmsxS85</a></p>— catalanballer (@CatalanBaller) <a href="https://twitter.com/CatalanBaller/status/907875432988585984">September 13, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tw]

Adversus

Yeah, teams shit their pants when they see Bale in his current form.
You missed the point. The problem is the amount of space behind the fullbacks. If I was manager of juve I would have told them to hit balls into the channel behind Alba all night. The space behind him was unreal.

PhilS

It's all about getting the most out of Messi, especially now that Neymar is gone. This formation accomplishes that most important objective. It also wastes a lot of what Suarez can provide, but that is a profitable tradeoff. Semedo is playing better that I expected so soon, he is already vital to this team. With both Semedo and Alba on the field, the closing ability of the fullbacks, the ability to catch up in time for the crucial defense, is top of the line.

Loved the subs, and the switch to 4-4-2 at the first sub. The midfielders off the bench should be able to improve the defense every game, like closers in baseball.

Paris1

This Juve team in La Liga will be in the middle of the table. So deluded Juve fans must pray every day, that their team play in the mediocre Calcio...

You've said it here, don't repeat this anywhere else. People will just laugh at such an idiotic comment. This Juve team is clearly struggling to find it's rhythm and is severely depleted due to injuries. For crying out loud, Stefano Sturaro was playing as a right back - that's how depleted the options are at the moment. So that you do not get carried away with the scoreline, let's disect thier team.

In defence, they had Chiellini missing. Howdes who is Bonnucci's replacement was also missing. Dani Alves's replacement De Sciglio is piss poor (just go on to any Juve forum and read the comments the fans make about this shitty player). Allegri also made the mistake of not registering Lichtsteiner for CL. Juve had to use a left sided midfielder to cover De Shittio when he was injured in 1st half. That speaks volumes of the current crisis within the squad at the moment. That's a change of 3 first team defenders out of 4 that is different to last season. To put things into perspective, Juve were 2 goals down against Genoa in the first 7 minutes in the league game 2/3 weeks ago. It will be a different story when Chiellini and Howdes return to the 1st team.

In midfield, No Marchisio, no Khedira, no Mandzukic. Bentancur, a CM played as a winger due to lack of available players. Bernadeschi and Costa have yet to gel in the squad.

I just finished watching the first 45 mins of the game and there was no difference between Barca and Juve, save for that Messi goal. Juve did with 39% possesion what Barca did with 61% possesion. I'll watch the 2nd half when I get home.

Your comment stood out at how dumb and ill informed your judgement was, hence had to comment.

BarcaOG

Banned
great result, but surprising. i thought we could best them, no doubt, but 3-0 is even better than i thought possible. juve is a strong team

Home of Barca Fans