Eden Hazard

W

woobie

Really? Bias? I'm sure someone who is a better number cruncher than me can come up with stats of # of players transferred to Madrid over the last decade and the percentage that stayed more than 2 years. I would be willing to be it isn't a big number.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
You're probably right Ed, but there are better players ahead of him at Barca and Real, so he would need to take that intermediate step for his own sake.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Really? Bias? I'm sure someone who is a better number cruncher than me can come up with stats of # of players transferred to Madrid over the last decade and the percentage that stayed more than 2 years. I would be willing to be it isn't a big number.

Well let's have a look at their current team/Squad of players transferred to them:-

Carvalho - 2010
Pepe - 2007
Ramos - 2005
Sahin - 2011
Khedira - 2010
Cronaldo - 2009
Kaka - 2009
Benzema - 2009
Ozil - 2010
Marcelo - 2007
Alonso - 2009
Coentrao - 2011
Altintop - 2011
Arbeloa - 2009
Albiol - 2009
Higuain - 2007
Di Maria - 2010
Lass - 2009

You can be rest assured that Pepe, Ramos, Khedira, Cronaldo, Ozil, Alonso, Coentrao, Di Maria will all be there for another 2-3 years if not longer, rendering the 2 year argument redundant.

Their most important players usually stay for a much longer period. Players near the end of their career but can do a job like Carvalho and Altintop of course will not be there for longer than 2 years because they are expendable.

But the players who are not expendable usually stay quite a while i.e. Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo, Higuain. there and no doubts Hazard will be a world star and will be integral to which is his next club.

In 2005 which is the year ramos was transferred to Madrid. The team he was integrated into were Carlos, Helguera, Samuel, Beckham, Figo, Zidane, Raul and Ronaldo. So they would have needed replacing at some stage.

This batch of players current age range is lower than the 2005 one, in which Ramos was in so the turnover of players will not be as high.

So if I was Hazard with a choice of Madrid and Arsenal, the choice would be pretty easy for me to make.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
You're probably right Ed, but there are better players ahead of him at Barca and Real, so he would need to take that intermediate step for his own sake.

He has Di Maria, Kaka and Ozil as competition for places (and in most probability would replace Kaka in the squad). Personally I don't think he should go to Barca because they have Sanchez and he doesn't suit your system as well as he would at Madrid imo. Had you not signed Alexis I would have said he'd have been perfect for you.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
So you'd turn down the biggest club in the world where you'd get serious game time to go to Arsenal. Okay.....
if he gets ensured that he will be played all day err day then ofc he should go to Real but there's not the same guarantee as in Arsenal plus the tactics Mourinho deploy aren't really favouring for Eden as di Maria and Coentrao both are much stronger defensively. I'm not talking of bias here, I thought Coentrao was a brilliant signing for Mourinho as it fits him tactically.

HOWEVER, should Real get a new manager that likes offensive football, then Real is a definite yes.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

I'm no number cruncher, so I'll be fucked if I'm doing that, but just looking at the current squads gives a massive illustration of the difference.

from the start of this season:

Iker: cantera, 12 years
Carvalho: €8m, 1 year
Pepe: €30m, 4 years
Ramos: €28m, 6 years
Sahin: €10m, 0 years
Khedira: €12m, 1 year
Cristiano: €94m, 2 years
Kaka: €65m, 2 years
Benzema: €35m, 2 years
Özil: €15m, 1 year
Granero: €4.5m, 2 years
Marcelo: €6.5m, 4.5 years
Adan: cantera, 2 years
Xabi: €30m, 2 years
Coentrao: €30m, 0 years
Altintop: free, 0 years
Arbeloa: €4.5m, 2 years
Albiol: €15m, 2 years
Varane: €10m, 2 years
Higuain: €13m, 4.5 years
Callejon: €5m, 0 years
Di Maria: €25m, 1 year
Lass: €20m, 1.5 years

€445.5m, 55.5 years (2.41 years average for the 23 man squad)

Valdes: cantera, 9 years
Alves: €32m, 3 years
Piqué: €5m, 3 years
Cesc: €29m, 0 years
Puyol: cantera, 12 years
Xavi: cantera, 13 years
Villa: €40m, 1 year
Iniesta: cantera, 9 years
Alexis: €26m, 0 years
Messi: cantera, 7 years
Thiago: cantera, 2 years
Pinto: €0.5m, 3 years
Mascherano: €19m, 1 year
Keita: €14m, 3 years
Busquets: cantera, 3 years
Pedro: cantera, 3 years
Maxwell: €4.5m, 2 years
Afellay: €3m, 0.5 years
Adriano: €9.5m, 1 year
Abidal: €9m, 4 years
Fontas: cantera, 2 years

€191.5m, 81.5 years (3.8 years average for the 21 man squad)

and considering we started a new cycle precisely 1 year before they did and are still way out in front, I'd say that's pretty indicative.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
if you look at Madrid, it's hilarious. Ramos, Higuain, Pepe and Marcelo were meant to be part of a new wave of young players to carry the team forward. and sure enough they won a couple of Titles and it looked like Madrid were set for a long long while. they had so many quality young players: Sneijder, Robben, Robinho, Gago, Garay, Drenthe, Huntelaar, etc. etc. etc. - but then we showed up and smacked the fuck out of them, so Madrid aborted their young squad in short order and started on a new one. they should have just kept building on their current effort, but ego and douchebaggery run deep at the Bernabeu.

it's worth remembering, also, that while there are 4 survivors from that aborted mid-decade team, the club has until this summer tried repeatedly to ditch 2 of them (Higuain and Marcelo). and they were constantly trying to find a new defensive star (Vidic, T-Silva, etc.) to move Pepe to the bench.

they are an ugly club with an incredibly high rate of player turnover.

the only thing that may slow that rate down is the fact that they spent such an ungodly amount of money assembling this current squad (€30m for a backup utility man with no real place to break into the first team down the line) and won't have any to buy new guys unless they sell first.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I'd rather go to Arsenal if they sign a few players as it's a much more interesting project with better football and a football that suits young Eden much better.

The only thing "interesting" about Arsenal's "project" is to try to figure out how many years it will take their few relatively expensive signings to force their way out.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
Instead to go Arsenal, stagnate and develop a weak mentality. Ok.

Seriously the bias here is incredible.

Woobie isn't even a Barca fan, why would she be biased? You, on the other hand, has made your hatred toward Arsenal very clear.

M

mitkoa7x

I think Wenger is doing a good job currently, he just needs a classy midfielder or two and his team will be competitive with the top again.

Home of Barca Fans