Eden Hazard

Havesaks

No question, particularly when motivated, but the lack of top rate goal scoring records is no small thing for a forward.

That said I ain't worried, and maybe a tad relived, if he goes to Real. Outstanding player but doesn't change the whole dynamics of how to play an opponent like Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, younger Suarez, potentially Mbappe, etc. If they are happy with him being the principal addition that isn't all that ear raising to me as Barca fan. Just doesn't raise my adrenaline or fear that much.

I have it the same way. I would like him here tho. Hazard > Rashford > Grizmann > Coutinho.
Hazard isn't a goalscorer, and thats what real lacks the most at the moment. But Hazard + mbappe could be an annoying duo.

Arizona Scott

James and Isco were spectacular together in the Xmas tree formation we employed from time to time when Ronaldo and Bale were out.

But where have they been for Real now? I was using the analogy for Coutinho--who also had some flashes of world class brilliance at Barca but is nonetheless not a starter when we have a healthy and fit full squad. These are world class talents but sometimes don't fit well with a style or scheme, and are sat when there are other players better suited by that style, even in the case of someone like Vasquez who us nowhere near these guys talent levels.

Arizona Scott

I have it the same way. I would like him here tho. Hazard > Rashford > Grizmann > Coutinho.
Hazard isn't a goalscorer, and thats what real lacks the most at the moment. But Hazard + mbappe could be an annoying duo.

Yes those two together would get my attention for sure. But I don't think Mpabbe is going anywhere for a while, PSG just can't let him go and still hope to be a legit player in Europe. IMO Neymar would be easier for them to let go than new face of French football Kylian. Now Real could try Hazard and Griezmann--that could be dangerous.

El Gato

Villarato!
But where have they been for Real now? I was using the analogy for Coutinho--who also had some flashes of world class brilliance at Barca but is nonetheless not a starter when we have a healthy and fit full squad. These are world class talents but sometimes don't fit well with a style or scheme, and are sat when there are other players better suited by that style, even in the case of someone like Vasquez who us nowhere near these guys talent levels.

They’re where they should be for one reason or another. It’s not like they’re not playing for Real cuz they’re shit.

That doesn’t mean they can’t play together. It’s very well known why Coutinho doesn’t play for you guys and where to fit him in on the pitch. It wouldn’t actually be all that difficult to do. Takes only one good rotation and a slight formation tweak. EV just doesn’t care to explore it, because having Suárez on all the time is most comfortable for all involved and doesn’t introduce any element of new chaos.

Arizona Scott

They’re where they should be for one reason or another. It’s not like they’re not playing for Real cuz they’re shit.

That doesn’t mean they can’t play together. It’s very well known why Coutinho doesn’t play for you guys and where to fit him in on the pitch. It wouldn’t actually be all that difficult to do. Takes only one good rotation and a slight formation tweak. EV just doesn’t care to explore it, because having Suárez on all the time is most comfortable for all involved and doesn’t introduce any element of new chaos.

True, but aside from one terrible match vs Roma (including the excessive minutes of core players leading to fatigue in general and some fatigue-related injuries building up to that one match) Valverde has awfully good results, and it is within pretty justified reasons not to tinker too much.

Next year if Coutinho has any chance to be a starter it isn't as a forward but proving he can be the most advanced midfielder. He is never going to do all the things Modric does or have his stamina, but he needs to do his best to emulate as much as what he does and grow as a player, even if he tires himself out with movement without the ball and is regularly subbed for at 70 minutes. I am OK with that problem, under Klopp I think Countinho was rarely a 90 minute + player.

El Gato

Villarato!
True, but aside from one terrible match vs Roma (including the excessive minutes of core players leading to fatigue in general and some fatigue-related injuries building up to that one match) Valverde has awfully good results, and it is within pretty justified reasons not to tinker too much.

Next year if Coutinho has any chance to be a starter it isn't as a forward but proving he can be the most advanced midfielder. He is never going to do all the things Modric does or have his stamina, but he needs to do his best to emulate as much as what he does and grow as a player, even if he tires himself out with movement without the ball and is regularly subbed for at 70 minutes. I am OK with that problem, under Klopp I think Countinho was rarely a 90 minute + player.

He’s doing ok really for the time he gets where his strengths are played to. It’s near impossible to change the nature of how a #10 moves around the pitch without the ball. Personally I wouldn’t be asking him to sacrifice his game when your problem is the 32 year old doing the same things a bit better, GOAT or not.

I wrote this in the match thread - Barca don’t know how to rotate Messi voluntarily. They could never live without his influence. Look at games against Sevilla in the Copa and yesterday. Players don’t have the most reliable magnet of the ball to pass to that they normally go to. Since 2013 Messi was rested in under 10 league games TOTAL. TOTAL. In 6 years... Now compare this with the time Ronaldo decided to listen to Zizou, pace his body and allowed a bit of tactical flexibility for the squad. Coutinho could easily, EASILY be the guy that replaces either man as the SS in a narrower 4-3-3. It does force Messi to stay as #9 a lot more when Suarez is benched, but it is the correct call to sometimes place a 32 year old in a position to best benefit the younger talent around him rather than use his own full potential. Every other way you’re wasting Coutinho. No two ways about it. CM was tried, he doesn’t take to it and you have Alena and Arthur better suited to it. He has only one slot on the pitch.

Anyway, this is about Hazard and talents playing together. Which many of the smart ones find ways to do. In Coutinho scenario it is not Phil that is the issue.

Arizona Scott

Can't disagree much wolfe, good assessment.

Just curious though, did modric develop or learn to play any different at his time with Real?

I think hazard would adapt to most any team, but i don't think he totally alters how a team has to play. I think another left winger in neymar for instance would be a much scarier force to deal with and more fundamentally how have to shift your defense will shift or lean to limit damage on that side.

El Gato

Villarato!
Can't disagree much wolfe, good assessment.

Just curious though, did modric develop or learn to play any different at his time with Real?

I think hazard would adapt to most any team, but i don't think he totally alters how a team has to play. I think another left winger in neymar for instance would be a much scarier force to deal with and more fundamentally how have to shift your defense will shift or lean to limit damage on that side.

Modrić has no ego. He came in, got labelled as shit who couldn’t hold a candle to more direct Ozil or a more flashy Di Maria. He adapted to playing deeper seeing it’s either that or he has to always compete with Ozil. Then Isco came to make it even more difficult at 10. Then James. By that time Modrić forgot what it was like to be the man that plays the final ball as much as the others did. And it was the right call. A mature one. Now other #10s should consider doing the same to survive in a world where there is no team employing a mediapunto player, other than maybe Messi doing that at Barca.

I agree with that last assessment of Hazard situation. And it is what is holding the deal back I believe. That and the fact that Roman will milk every last cent he can until he has no choice but to let him go. If he comes to Madrid, it’ll be a late window deal IMO. Perez isn’t dumb either and won’t splash more than a 100 on him when there are more pressing concerns to address.

Home of Barca Fans