Champions League 2017/18

Stoichkov1

Granted I did, but it's OK. We drew 3-3 against fucking Legia last season and went on to get a double :lol:

Despise Spuds hype on BT and all over online. Two goons in the studio saying there should have been no pen on Kroos and a pen on Llorente :lol: Could watch breakdowns of City's play all day, but there is no credit to that. They would rather cling onto this average team than have to admit Pep is actually the guy who makes their league better.

There was a pen on Llorente, maybe your real madrid bias doesn't allow you to recognize the foul

JamDav1982

yep, i watched tottenham play many times and they looked nothing like today. They played today with that small club fashion, conceding the play even though they are better than that. Missing a couple of players is not an excuse.

They would never go there and attack that is just ridiculous.

Spurs played well with players they had and got a draw.

El Gato

Villarato!
Spurs went to Real missing a lot of players and got a point. Of course they are chuffed.

They are the type of team who even with a full squad would be chuffed to get any result that's not too harsh. Give them 0-1 and their fans would applaud the effort of their boys. Funny thing is, I have nothing against most of these players. Son, Eriksen, Lloris, even Sissoko are quite talented and would do so well elsewhere. But the fact that this is a Daniel Levy project and celebration of averageness just makes it so anticlimactic every time they are given any credit for getting every remotely OK result. They could aim so much higher and then after the game Kane who missed a fucking gamewinner, had probably 1-2 other chances all game long, one fluffed through Varane's legs and the other from a corner, goes to the reporter and says "Yeah definitely we're pleased." So unambitious most of the time.

Morten

Next year we need to make some big signings, cant just keep relying on the same squad over and over, the english teams are on the rise.
Barca better stop messing about too, Messi cant bail you out forever.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
They are the type of team who even with a full squad would be chuffed to get any result that's not too harsh. Give them 0-1 and their fans would applaud the effort of their boys. Funny thing is, I have nothing against most of these players. Son, Eriksen, Lloris, even Sissoko are quite talented and would do so well elsewhere. But the fact that this is a Daniel Levy project and celebration of averageness just makes it so anticlimactic every time they are given any credit for getting every remotely OK result. They could aim so much higher and then after the game Kane who missed a fucking gamewinner, had probably 1-2 other chances all game long, one fluffed through Varane's legs and the other from a corner, goes to the reporter and says "Yeah definitely we're pleased." So unambitious most of the time.

Spurs are one of the best English sides around. I think they and City are the most suited to European competition as other EPL clubs have idiotic tendencies to cede possession as often as possible and have very poor passing games. Tottenham's defense is top tier in Europe, they have a good midfield and a very clinical scorer in Kane. They transition well, hold their shape well, and generally seem mature tactically which is again not common for EPL teams.

They are rising up the EPL table and are proving themselves with results against European vets like Dortmund (convincing win) and drawing RM at the Bernabeu. It's even more impressive that they did it without Dele Alli or Dembele. They could have won had they scored those crucial chances but a draw against the best team in Europe is still good for them. They aren't weak, and their growth/development as a team over these past 5 years after selling Bale and Modric has been very impressive. They've only improved and added very good pieces to their already well built team. It's hard to find sides around Europe that are so well managed by coach and club.

JamDav1982

Spurs are one of the best English sides around. I think they and City are the most suited to European competition as other EPL clubs have idiotic tendencies to cede possession as often as possible and have very poor passing games. Tottenham's defense is top tier in Europe, they have a good midfield and a very clinical scorer in Kane. They transition well, hold their shape well, and generally seem mature tactically which is again not common for EPL teams.

They are rising up the EPL table and are proving themselves with results against European vets like Dortmund (convincing win) and drawing RM at the Bernabeu. It's even more impressive that they did it without Dele Alli or Dembele. They could have won had they scored those crucial chances but a draw against the best team in Europe is still good for them. They aren't weak, and their growth/development as a team over these past 5 years after selling Bale and Modric has been very impressive. They've only improved and added very good pieces to their already well built team. It's hard to find sides around Europe that are so well managed by coach and club.

Would say Chelsea or United more suited to CL than Spurs and have stronger defences and bigger squads.

Can see United or Chelsea spoiling their way further than Spurs do.

El Gato

Villarato!

Can't dispute many of these things.

The only issue with this team is the fact that even as a 2-time EPL runner-up they still have this lurking vibe of being an up-and-comer. 10 years ago runner-ups like Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool were widely considered as contenders to win their groups. And this Tottenham doesn't treat itself as such. This lack of confidence is their doomhammer for years now. If this changes now, fair enough, but I doubt it will because winning against a poor Borussia (who have started really poor this year) and getting a point after having a shot to win, is not a sign of change. To me, if they don't win at Wembley against this Madrid team in similar attacking form, they're not making any improvement, just status quo of being underachievers.

stb_1

As good as Man City have been so far, Real have won the CL twice past two years and you have to say are on another level to them. So Spurs playing defensively vs a team better than they've ever seen before in their own league with a few starters out is something to moan about? Atletico always play defensively, why not talk about that?

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Would say Chelsea or United more suited to CL than Spurs and have stronger defences and bigger squads.

Can see United or Chelsea spoiling their way further than Spurs do.

United's opener vs RM dissuaded me from them to an extent. When pressed hard against a technically superior team that controls possession, they resorted to the age old EPL 'tactic' of booting the ball away time and time again and played straight into RM's hands. This would happen against Barca, Bayern, PSG, etc. as well. United are more suited to beat Atleti or Juve, as are Chelsea (and Chelsea did it in the CL too).

Spurs play less stupid than that and are generally better in transition than United are. Chelsea are debatable because they have elite players like Hazard and Kante, I'd have to see more of them against top European sides to judge.

JamDav1982

United's opener vs RM dissuaded me from them to an extent. When pressed hard against a technically superior team that controls possession, they resorted to the age old EPL 'tactic' of booting the ball away time and time again and played straight into RM's hands. This would happen against Barca, Bayern, PSG, etc. as well. United are more suited to beat Atleti or Juve, as are Chelsea (and Chelsea did it in the CL too).

Spurs play less stupid than that and are generally better in transition than United are. Chelsea are debatable because they have elite players like Hazard and Kante, I'd have to see more of them against top European sides to judge.

United under Mourinho can spoil it and have more match winners. When have chose to go forward have probably looked better than Spurs this season.

Mou knows europe and even last season when Spurs were maybe stronger and Man Utd weaker they looked stronger in Europe.

Just think spurs are too overly reliant on two or three players but could be wrong can see how it goes.

stb_1

All English teams currently top of their groups and have got a combined 33 points of a possible 39. German teams have 8 out of 24, and Spainish teams 17 out of 24.

Thank god Arsenal are not in the CL this year.

Stoichkov1

All English teams currently top of their groups and have got a combined 33 points of a possible 39. German teams have 8 out of 24, and Spainish teams 17 out of 24.

Arsenal are a joke anyway.

Givenchy

the english teams are improving but its early days, the hype right now is ridiculous. Spurs will probably bottle it in the next round, Liverpool are crap, Chelsea don't look that great to me. United are a threat imo, boring as fuck to watch but with Mourinho they have an outside chance, City look the best of the PL teams going forward but that defence leaves alot to be desired.

vs any of those teams I'd still have Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG ahead and possibly Atleti/Juve could give them a game.

Home of Barca Fans