Champions League 2017/18

El Gato

Villarato!
After United, what is Mou going to do, which top club would want him? United might be his final proper big club job.

PSG are dumb enough to try. Otherwise it's a hiatus for him until he takes over from Fernando Santos in internationals, but that'll only happen if they fail miserably in 2018 or 2020, else they won't sack a Euro winning coach for no good reason. Nothing else, but international success will resurrect his reputation if this is his 2nd underwhelming (to say the least, lol) tenure at a huge club with everything at his disposal. Portuguese NT will be less demanding on him, especially as they enter post-Ronaldo era. So it may be the only saving grace for his career.

FC B

0-0 is not a good result away for a team not used to play on the front foot. 0-0 is a good away result for Barca, Madrid, Bayern kind of teams who are used to dominate teams at home in sometimes gruesome fashion.

I can't remember the last time we've lost a tie at home after a 0-0 away in the first leg. Our tradition of beating teams at home is what makes me confident vs Chelsea tomorrow. I just hope Valverde won't try to be too clever.

Agreed but if I'm not mistaken none of our last few 4 matches at home vs. Chelshit was a win, ofc we now have other options too thanks to the away goal but still...

khaled_a_d

What are the odds of Madrid getting United/Shaktar next round?

Zero ;)

Is Mourinho the most overrated trainer ever?
He has failed badly in so many clubs now.

Hmmm, Manyu is the first club he doesn't win a league with, and even with them he is close of finishing 2nd and won FA cup last year along Europa league so he is basically their best manager since SAF.
He is outdated, which happens to most coaches. And people are calling him for it now, but guy had an amazing career and was truly great coach even if I hate to admit it

Most United fans I know dont really like him all that much but just dont see any obvious alternatives.

True, although I think many prefer him over Moyes and LVG, so they are giving him benefit of the doubt even if they don't like him

El Gato

Villarato!
Hmmm, Manyu is the first club he doesn't win a league with, and even with them he is close of finishing 2nd and won FA cup last year along Europa league so he is basically their best manager since SAF.
He is outdated, which happens to most coaches. And people are calling him for it now, but guy had an amazing career and was truly great coach even if I hate to admit it.

Lol cmon now. He won trophies yes, but his 2nd season myth has become his second season nightmare since 2013. He won the same caliber trophies as Benítez after his Liverpool stint was over while contributing no new thinking that managers of other teams can be afraid of. If Madrid went out in 1/8s against Lyon or someone alike in these circumstances he’d be a goner. And here he is riling everyone up begging to be sacked so he can play a victim by saying some of the worst things you could possibly say as a manager of such side.

If he doesn’t reinvent his useless safe play in today’s game where most teams can at the very least put on a show then he’s done for. He’s not fit for purpose of grooming a 25 year old engine like Pogba. Was plain enough when it stopped working at Chelsea.

Last edited:

Morten

Its fair to say that Mourinho hasnt adapted much, or anything at all since he started as a coach, always the same approach.
That said, he did best when he coached semi-big clubs, Porto/Chelski(when he came there)/Inter, its easier to get everybody to accept defensive and boring football. At elite clubs? Only if the results are outstanding.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Killahead
How are there no alternatives? Is Mourinho the only manager in the world?

Frank De Boer is available! :neymar:

They were beaten just weeks ago by this shower of shit called United. We have no excuses if we don't advance.

They are not playing like last year at all.

Every match has their own story. Chelsea has lost to several teams this season, doesnt make em better than Chelsea. Besides, Chelsea is Barca's boogey team. Not that much of an easy opponent.

SeloBarca

He is outdated, which happens to most coaches. And people are calling him for it now, but guy had an amazing career and was truly great coach even if I hate to admit it

Has he really though?
He did win leauge in Chelsea, but the league was even weaker than it is now.
He never Won Champions League with them.
Got "fired" the second stint.
Never won anything major in Real Madrid, and only won once against Barcelona.
Shouldnt have won the CL with Inter, poor refereee decisions.
And havent been sparkling at ManU,
And getting schooled by Guardiola, once again.

vlad

Mourinho is not coach for top clubs with big expectations, like man u or real, his best years were in inter, chelsea wnd porto, clubs were you dont need to play beautiful just manage to get better results.

Club like valnecia would suit him well

khaled_a_d

Has he really though?
He did win leauge in Chelsea, but the league was even weaker than it is now.
He never Won Champions League with them.
Got "fired" the second stint.
Never won anything major in Real Madrid, and only won once against Barcelona.
Shouldnt have won the CL with Inter, poor refereee decisions.
And havent been sparkling at ManU,
And getting schooled by Guardiola, once again.

Yes he did, he won CL with two teams which no managers has yet to do something more, Pep took a team that won treble and failed to win CL with them, has he failed with Bayern?
He won same number of CL as Pep and SAF, and won it with two teams that both were inferior in terms of quality than Manu or Barca.
Winning the first liga in 4 years for RM, and one of only two in past decade is achievement for Mourinho, they finally got back to CL SF after long time too.
And poor referee decisions happen to anyone, it happened to a season before and we don't complain.
And lastly, he is one of best managers in facing Pep.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Yes he did, he won CL with two teams which no managers has yet to do something more, Pep took a team that won treble and failed to win CL with them, has he failed with Bayern?
He won same number of CL as Pep and SAF, and won it with two teams that both were inferior in terms of quality than Manu or Barca.
Winning the first liga in 4 years for RM, and one of only two in past decade is achievement for Mourinho, they finally got back to CL SF after long time too.
And poor referee decisions happen to anyone, it happened to a season before and we don't complain.
And lastly, he is one of best managers in facing Pep.

When a player or a coach hit a bad patch, make some mistakes, or reach the end of his career, many people take the criticism way too far about them, to the point of shredding them to pieces. That's very common among the fans when things go wrong for a player or a coach. I heard recently from someone who was a big admirer of Messi in the past that he believes he's not even among the top 5 players in history, and even Ronaldo is a more complete player than him, all because in the past years Ronaldo has won more individual and collective awards than him. Some were saying Simeone is done at Atletico some time ago when Atleti were not doing well, now they've gone quiet. Last night De Gea made one mistake and someone called him overrated, while he's saved MU ass numerous times with many supersaves. Mourinho sure has his own critics as one that I am, but belittling his whole career, saying it's all been a fluke and the referee mistakes is way over the top. I believe his methods are outdated now, but in the past it used to get results. Saying it's all been a fluke and referee mistakes is nonsense. The legendary Pep's Barca had some referee decisions in the favor as well. Should I say his success was all base on those decisions or Xaviniesta/Messi saving his ass all the time? Sure not.

SeloBarca

Never thought of him as a great coach with a ver limited skillset.
Quite weak in tactics aswell, Guardiola humiliating him over and over in Spain.

RMU ReBorn

i would take a classico defeat incase we qualify to the next round . But the only team that has it in them to face Real at Bernabue is Barcelona. It's a 50/50 given Rm's Cl form . But i can't see any other club knocking them out . City will be out classed by Real's aerial prowess with error prone defenders

Home of Barca Fans