Champions League 2017/18

ronniecro

it hurts to see how madrid success makes us desperate for CL win,everywhere now i see talks how we must make CL priority next season

JamDav1982

RM was resting players in la Liga to concentrate on CL. We would win CL too if we rested players in la Liga

Tiredness did not have much to do with Barca going out v Roma.

Valverde chose poor tactics and players looked like couldnt match the fight of Roma. To be honest they looked sulky and entitled the moment EV played in a way EV didnt like. Real players would play anyway to win and to a man would fight like fuck.

This idea that Barca winning copa had much impact is overplayed.

The biggest Barca players have not turned up enough in CL in recent years and team based on Messi central has been too one dimensional.

Devils

So the conclusion is we need a better big game team. Which means less messidependencia, better bench, more players who can create/score and a plan b for when things dont work.

Coutinho and Griezmann will be huge for that.

The problem is the attitude of current players and manager. The likes of Suarez and Alba need to be put into place and their attitudes are wretched. Also the likes Pique, Busi, Rakitic, Umtiti, Roberto need to realize that their positions are guaranteed they should be fighting for their place on the first team.

eaman

I have wrote that a lot of times in different topics. I'll repeat again.

In la liga, 90% of matches are against Getafe, Levante and Las Palmas. Against inferior teams
So, la liga is about: who can make less mistakes against weaker teams over 10 Months.

Also, there is no sudden death in la liga.
If you lose against Atletico, nothing will happen.
You will have 30 new matches to fix the consequences of one defeat.
While in a Cl:
You don't play against Getafe.
All matches are against Am, Rm, Bayern, Juve, Psg, City.
Also, sudden death is here.

So, we are obviously better than Rm against Mickey mouse teams and when there is no pressure.
While against big boys in sudden death matches, we play Psg 0:4, Juve 0:3, Roma 0:3 etc, we turn into Liverpool's keeper, lol.

We are obviously comfortable with playing against weaker teams, and then our possession game plus Messi works fine.

About a part where you are mentioning copa del rey, I won't even comment.
Nobody except Barca rates that trophy seriously anymore.

Ya but the champions league is a cup competition that requires luck. You don't have to be at your best all year to win it. Real are the winners but they are not the best team in Europe. Bayern were clearly better over two legs. Also remember real oat a few games in the champions league but away goals saved them. If there was a European super league I'm sure real wouldn't win it with this team and Barca would finish above them. The only year real were the best in europe was 16/17 because they were league and European champions deservedly

raskolnikov

Ya but the champions league is a cup competition that requires luck. You don't have to be at your best all year to win it. Real are the winners but they are not the best team in Europe. Bayern were clearly better over two legs. Also remember real oat a few games in the champions league but away goals saved them. If there was a European super league I'm sure real wouldn't win it with this team and Barca would finish above them. The only year real were the best in europe was 16/17 because they were league and European champions deservedly
I agree except for the last part. Ref saved them vs Bayern and la liga refs and luck helped them towards a la liga win. In my opinion we should have won la liga the last 10 years in a row if not for la liga refs.

BruceWayne11

Nobody except Barca rates that trophy seriously anymore.

Real Madrid, like Barca and Atletico, start every year in three competitions; CDR, CL and La Liga. Everyone should hold Madrid accountable for losing 2 out of 3. Of course, CL is the most prestigious one, with La Liga a close second. If they truly were Europe's best team, they wouldn't be losing the other two domestic titles to Barca, being beaten 3-0 and drawing 2-2 to us in the process.

serghei

La Liga is always the main priority, I can't stress this enough, but the team should realise that CL becomes the big focus from march onwards. You plan the season going steady and strong in La Liga, but when the CL knockouts start, you begin thinking about that more and manage La Liga games with that in mind.

But we should always go full on for both La Liga and CL. Playing about half of La Liga game with nothing at stake is not very good either. Imagine seeing almost 30 Barca games with no meaning. Would be like shit, and 2-3 CL very good CL nights won't change that. Going 17 points off 1st place doesn't sound interesting to me.

We should absolutely not look to replicate Madrid's strategy, it's not our style. I very much like how we approach the season, but we did indeed fucked up overplaying the same players near important CL games among other things.

I agree about playing young players in Copa del Rey next season.

Last edited:

JohnS

I see a few comments that Liverpool fans aren't even upset. We are but we are also realistic . We have 3 players out needing surgery and the bench is very week. We are confident in the future because we feel we are at the beginning of something positive. We will sign 3 or 4 players this window and strengthen the squad. I dont like bitching but one has to wonder why the referees are taken in year after year by Real. They let out screams like they have been shot and when you see the replay you realise the player wasn't even touched but they get the free kick. Salah Ramos ? Why is it always him? He is the type of player who would switch off your life support to charge his mobile phone. Karma is a wonderful thing though and he will get his comeuppance. Nobody will shed a tear when this happens.

Demog

Well I'm a Liverpool fan and I'm devastated! I really felt we would have won at Mo not been injured, and the manner of his injury really has made me so angry. Ramos knew what he was doing and nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise. Ramos is absolute scum, he takes out our star player (and may rob him off the world cup) he elbows Karius, and tried to get Mane (our next best player) sent off by pretending he hit him in the face, rolling around, holding his face, crying, the usual nonsense from scummy players like this. We were on top until Mo went off. We simply cannot replace a player of that quality and Madrid got confidence from this, and we couldn't really get any momentum once he went off. Of course Karius was an absolute disaster, the worst goal keeping mistake I've ever seen for the Benzema goal, and the 2nd mistake was also terrible. Hopefully we'll get rid off him in the summer and get a competent 'keeper.

Devils

I do feel for Karius on a human level.

A day later I cannot imagine how brutal he must feel. Football is a cutthroat profession, I think his career at top level is finished.

ronniecro

I do feel for Karius on a human level.

A day later I cannot imagine how brutal he must feel. Football is a cutthroat profession, I think his career at top level is finished.

and it should be,his move which lead to benzema goal is one of the most idiotic things i've seen from professional goalkeeper

Devils

In Madrid's last 4 CL campaigns, every single top team on the planet has faced them (and failed) but Barca were never good enough to even get to the stage to play them.

That's brutal reality.

I have to say it's been over a decade since I did not look forward to a new season, but I am already exhausted at the thought of next season with these primadonnas and our coward of a manager.

What's worse is going to media narrative that "With Coutinho and Griezmann, Barca are going to be among the favourites for the CL title". Such a farce. This club is becoming deluded.

Home of Barca Fans