Champions League 2017/18

eaman

Liverpool didn't know what to do after salah went off or maybe they just tired in the second half like they have done in so many games this season. Also another bit of luck for real with a dodgy keeper helping them this time. Still they are again not the best team in Europe despite winning the champions league

ronniecro

Well guys we have to ba fair and admit that Rea’sl CL dominance is 100% our fault. We went on a trip to Rome an in that moment we handed them another CL trophy. CL should be our top priority for the next few seasons.

it has nothing to do with us,we can only say that to make ourselves bit better. truth is we're not proper CL contenders for a last few years now,and we won't be as long as valverde is here

BruceWayne11

It's actually insane that both in the semi and in the final, the opposing team's keeper make mistakes not even amateur keepers would do. Just look at those mistakes. Did they get paid/threatened or something? That would actually be a more logical explanation than that they simply made such horrendous mistakes... Of course, I don't really believe that, but the luck Madrid have had is something different!

BarçaBarça

It's actually insane that both in the semi and in the final, the opposing team's keeper make mistakes not even amateur keepers would do. Just look at those mistakes. Did they get paid/threatened or something? That would actually be a more logical explanation than that they simply made such horrendous mistakes... Of course, I don't really believe that, but the luck Madrid have had is something different!

As I see it, Real just believes so much in themselves, because they never lose in Europe, that the opponents nervousness, naivety, lesser quality manifest itself in crucial mistakes, less intensity or coolness when needed, and those things are vital when big games are decided. Main thing is though, that with Real Madrid you have the best squad in the world which has done this for years. Bale could be Premier Leagues best player, and he comes of the bench for Real - that says something about the insane level of quality in the team. A quality-level we aren't on even though Messi is better than Ronaldo etc.

BruceWayne11

As I see it, Real just believes so much in themselves, because they never lose in Europe, that the opponents nervousness, naivety, lesser quality manifest itself in crucial mistakes, less intensity or coolness when needed, and those things are vital when big games are decided.

The fact that these things affect other teams facing Real, is why Barca should've met them the last years. The only team that has a psychological advantage over them. Imagine if Barca met them in 2014, 2016, 2017 and this year. I bet Barca would win 3 out of 4 times there, honestly. A pity we had the FIFA virus in 2016 and the ridiculous Roma game this year, otherwise it would prob be 2 more CLs in the trophy cabinet.

BarçaBarça

The fact that these things affect other teams facing Real, is why Barca should've met them the last years. The only team that has a psychological advantage over them. Imagine if Barca met them in 2014, 2016, 2017 and this year. I bet Barca would win 3 out of 4 times there, honestly. A pity we had the FIFA virus in 2016 and the ridiculous Roma game this year, otherwise it would prob be 2 more CLs in the trophy cabinet.

I agree that we could make a difference against them. At least 50/50, while other teams will always be underdogs. Tbh, we need to face them in the years to come as well, else they could go 5 in a row - why not?

BruceWayne11

I agree that we could make a difference against them. At least 50/50, while other teams will always be underdogs. Tbh, we need to face them in the years to come as well, else they could go 5 in a row - why not?

Let's hope our team next year gets better for the CL. Can't let this keep happening with Real now getting 3 in a row. Barca could easily have had 4 in a row between 2009-2012. Now that would've sealed them as the undisputed best team ever.

raskolnikov

Real have the best squad in the world. That is the main reason why they can pull of these cl runs. Their attack starting 11 is very strong but their bench is great. Guys like Isco, Bale, Asensua and Kovacic are basically bench/Rotation players. We have the likes of Gomes/Denis and Digne on the bench.
Its that in combination with supreme confidence that makes the difference. But there is also an insane amount of luck/ref errors that always goes in their favour. Their first 2 cl’s were very lucky, last year the ref helped vs Bayern, this year they have ref help vs juve and insane goalie errors vs Bayern and Liverpool. But in the end results matter and 3 cl in a row is a great accomplishment.

BBZ8800

The problem is:
1. Real can lose only to Barca
2. Barca can lose to Real, Atletico, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern, Psg, Juve, Roma

So, it is hard to expect from Barca to knockout Real, since we can't win against anyone.
The only way for Barca to knockout Real is if we get paired in 1/8s of Champions league.
But even then, we would probably lose in the next round to Tottenham, United, Inter or someone similar.

People talk about Rm's luck.
Yet we play like a 2nd div team for years in any away match.
I really don't understand what is with our mental strength as soon as we enter a different stadium.

Also, people talking about Rm's luck:
1. In 1992 we scored against a German team in the 90th minute, and we would have been eliminated.
In a final, we won from a free kick in extra time.
2. In 2006, we won against Mou's Chelsea and maybe they were red carded somewhat too harshly early in the match.
In a final against Arsenal, we played again against 10 men for the whole match.
Our both goals against Arsenal were a horrible goalkeeping.
The winning goal was a nutmeg goal from a Rb Belletti, lol.
3. In 2009, Chelsea were denied, like what, 5 penalties?
And yet, we scored in the 93rd minute with a lucky, desperate goal, from tje only shot on target in a match.
4. In 2015, the biggest opponent, Bayern had half of their team injured against us, right?

So, after reading some posts here, it sounds as if we are winning all of our Cls with 10:0 scores and with a total domination.
Without ref's help, injuries, lucky goals, brainfarts from the opponents etc.

Ok, in some times, we were more dominating than a current Rm.
But 90% of teams and titles were won in Rm's way.
Yesterday: Rm had more possession, more clear chances, more mental strength, their game made sense (unlike Liverpool's).

Someone mentioned here how Bale's goals are luck and have nothing to do with a gameplan.
Lol.
So, when Messi scores a solo goal against Man utd in 2011, that is a pure magic, awesome football and our gameplan
But when Bale scores an individual goal, that is just shit.

Face it guys, Rm are way better on a Cl level.
And we won't change that anytime soon.

And you can't win 4 Cls in 5 years only due to luck.
Remember, Zidane hasn't lost a single knockout match yet.

Yet, our last 4 away matches are:
Psg 0:4
Juve 0:3
Chelsea 1:1
Roma 0:3

Yeah, it's all about Rm's luck, lol...
We are a team of frightened pussies on a Cl level.

BruceWayne11

Yeah, it's all about Rm's luck, lol...
We are a team of frightened pussies on a Cl level.

Doesn't really make sense we keep winning the league and cup every year over Real, and then can't get out of the quarters in the CL. Both Atleti and Juve knocked us out, then go on and lose to Madrid of course. Same Madrid we beat in the league. The fact that they're only winning the CL should devalue their achievement a bit though, as they usually never win the league + CL. 3 out of 13 times they won the league and CL together. Barca did it every time.

henias

Barcelona is doing themselves a huge disservice by getting themselves knocked out. I swear if we are in the finals or semis, they would struggle badly. Because lets be fking honest, who has Messi in their team? Salah as good as he is, aint anything close to Messi.

We've only ourselves to blame for this one.

BBZ8800

Doesn't really make sense we keep winning the league and cup every year over Real, and then can't get out of the quarters in the CL. Both Atleti and Juve knocked us out, then go on and lose to Madrid of course. Same Madrid we beat in the league. The fact that they're only winning the CL should devalue their achievement a bit though, as they usually never win the league + CL. 3 out of 13 times they won the league and CL together. Barca did it every time.

I have wrote that a lot of times in different topics. I'll repeat again.

In la liga, 90% of matches are against Getafe, Levante and Las Palmas. Against inferior teams
So, la liga is about: who can make less mistakes against weaker teams over 10 Months.

Also, there is no sudden death in la liga.
If you lose against Atletico, nothing will happen.
You will have 30 new matches to fix the consequences of one defeat.
While in a Cl:
You don't play against Getafe.
All matches are against Am, Rm, Bayern, Juve, Psg, City.
Also, sudden death is here.

So, we are obviously better than Rm against Mickey mouse teams and when there is no pressure.
While against big boys in sudden death matches, we play Psg 0:4, Juve 0:3, Roma 0:3 etc, we turn into Liverpool's keeper, lol.

We are obviously comfortable with playing against weaker teams, and then our possession game plus Messi works fine.

About a part where you are mentioning copa del rey, I won't even comment.
Nobody except Barca rates that trophy seriously anymore.

raskolnikov

So the conclusion is we need a better big game team. Which means less messidependencia, better bench, more players who can create/score and a plan b for when things dont work.

Home of Barca Fans